Thread: The "Archer Dive" FTW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Cool The "Archer Dive" FTW

Hey fellow archers, here is a move that a few people use (but not enough) that will greatly help out when you are running with a warrior (or even a mage, if they can gather in a corner) tank that will make everyone love you. Or love you even more.

One thing I always see is that when a tank hauls through a load of mobs down a hall or coming into a room, there are always a couple of mobs trailing him a little further than the rest closely following the tank.

DO NOT hit Auto attack..IGNORE them and follow the tank into whatever corner he/she is going to. DIVE in behind the tank, not shooting anything as they are gathering the mobs before they hit Beckon. You can literally be standing in the middle of 10 mobs and not one will touch you, if the tank is aggroing them with taunt or a mage skill as they lead. Just tuck in behind the tank as close as you can and follow them into the corner. NO AUTO.

Once the warrior uses Beckon or the mage has run into the corner, now you can unload with Cruel Blast, then throw Thorns (mages love to see thorns), pop Auto on, etc. You will be rewarded with not one or two but several COMBOs and people will laugh at quickly vaporized mobs.

The problem is that as birds we tend to target the rear trailing mobs when a tank is trying to pull....this causes them to stop and turn around and attack you. You now have A) decreased the effectiveness of the tank's pull, B) fallen behind the tank yourself as you are now messing around trying to kill a couple of mobs way behind the tank and C) left the tank in his corner with a nice bundle of mobs around him wondering "Where the hell is that bird?" because you are B) still messing around trying to kill the rear mobs you aggroed while the tank was trying to gather them.

Wish I could take pics of what I mean, but I have a new Droid and haven't figured out screenies in the midst of a run yet,

Give it a shot...fight the urge to shoot anything while the tank is gathering, and do not be afraid to dive right in behind the tank until the very end and blast away.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Hey fellow archers, here is a move that a few people use (but not enough) that will greatly help out when you are running with a warrior (or even a mage, if they can gather in a corner) tank that will make everyone love you. Or love you even more.

One thing I always see is that when a tank hauls through a load of mobs down a hall or coming into a room, there are always a couple of mobs trailing him a little further than the rest closely following the tank.

DO NOT hit Auto attack..IGNORE them and follow the tank into whatever corner he/she is going to. DIVE in behind the tank, not shooting anything as they are gathering the mobs before they hit Beckon. You can literally be standing in the middle of 10 mobs and not one will touch you, if the tank is aggroing them with taunt or a mage skill as they lead. Just tuck in behind the tank as close as you can and follow them into the corner. NO AUTO.

Once the warrior uses Beckon or the mage has run into the corner, now you can unload with Cruel Blast, then throw Thorns (mages love to see thorns), pop Auto on, etc. You will be rewarded with not one or two but several COMBOs and people will laugh at quickly vaporized mobs.

The problem is that as birds we tend to target the rear trailing mobs when a tank is trying to pull....this causes them to stop and turn around and attack you. You now have A) decreased the effectiveness of the tank's pull, B) fallen behind the tank yourself as you are now messing around trying to kill a couple of mobs way behind the tank and C) left the tank in his corner with a nice bundle of mobs around him wondering "Where the hell is that bird?" because you are B) still messing around trying to kill the rear mobs you aggroed while the tank was trying to gather them.

Wish I could take pics of what I mean, but I have a new Droid and haven't figured out screenies in the midst of a run yet,

Give it a shot...fight the urge to shoot anything while the tank is gathering, and do not be afraid to dive right in behind the tank until the very end and blast away.
    Great guide. And yes, mages love thorns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    Great guide. And yes, mages love thorns
    I like crushed kiddies better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

This is some good advice.

If a Bear does a good job and groups mobs properly, it's the least you can do to hit as many of them at the same time while they are grouped. The party will thank you for it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

I prefer to root before cruel blast but otherwise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Then you just Use blast... Right?
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Then you just Use blast... Right?
    Well, any AOE skill will work, but Cruel Blast is the bomb when a bear has rounded up mobs...Shattering Scream + Blast Shot back to back quickly.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Of course.... a decent tank is needed. I hate to say but our kind is a dying breed. However, for those ofbus who do still know how to tak, THANK YOU! Nothing is more frustrating than spamming health pots through a mob, to get to our beckon-point and no mobs follow.

Elixir gen..... *sigh*
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Of course.... a decent tank is needed. I hate to say but our kind is a dying breed. However, for those ofbus who do still know how to tak, THANK YOU! Nothing is more frustrating than spamming health pots through a mob, to get to our beckon-point and no mobs follow.

Elixir gen..... *sigh*
    Yeah, some of the best tanks/crowd control bearz are no longer with us or very often.....but some good ones still around like Apollo/Zeus when he not chatting in mid-run (love ya bro), Hotdream, Ikungfu and some goof named CrimsonTideDetergent or something like that. There are others too, but yeah....dying breed. Humania is tougher, but can still use the edges of the beach/walls a bit...but I am saying a LOT of scatterbears now.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

I tried using the archer dive. It is possibly the most annoying thing to try and do (because there are so many scatter bears) but when it is used correctly it REALLY works

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

In Humania, the dive is done a little differently when you're facing those magical mob goblins. When you see a group of enemies with wands/staves, you stay farrrrr and let the bear head into them. After the mobs beat up the bear a little and the bear gathers them into nice bundles, then you dive right in and proceed to kill them. The reason for this is because the mobs have an AOE attack, and following close to the bear (and into the fray) will probably kill you even if the tank has all aggro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

i do this but im a warbird if i was a dex bird i probably wouldnt be so brave
    but if what u say is true i would start trying it
    btw thorns before scream it makes more crit