Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Maybe count vlod should have a higher drop rate for dragon armors, because he is brutal! Then again, when we are all level 100, he might not be that hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Increase the rates.
    'nuff said.

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Guys what annoys me here so much is that the way you guys are talking,
    You cannot handle a single thing that is hardcore.
    Seriously.
    It's just a freaking drop rate.
    Quit complaining about it and go spend 10 hours a day like Farak does.
    I believe it is FINE.
    I can go and show you some rates on other games, and you know what?
    The dedicated players in those other games farm a thousand more times more than I ever could have the patience for and they make an item with a drop rate like .0166 seem easy to farm.

I believe you guys just need to put some hardcore-ness on and just bear the grind.

I DO agree with Windwalker's idea.
    Make Count Vlod have a higher drop rate.
    He's way harder to kill for a party and he is rarely farmed compared to the first and second floors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirlzap For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Seriously.
    I believe it is FINE.
    The dedicated players in those other games farm a thousand more times more than I ever could have the patience for and they make an item with a drop rate like .0166 seem easy to farm.

I believe you guys just need to put some hardcore-ness on and just bear the grind.

He's way harder to kill for a party and he is rarely farmed compared to the first and second floors.
    This isn't a desktop game, but one that is based on a phone. I'm sorry if the majority of the PL population can't spend 10 hours a day on their phone.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    This isn't a desktop game, but one that is based on a phone. I'm sorry if the majority of the PL population can't spend 10 hours a day on their phone.
    Or their iPads

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Seriously.
    I believe it is FINE.

It is much harder on the eyes when playing a phone game for hours and hours bro. Your vision will be wrecked after playing a full 12 hours on a phone game. Then again I could careless about vanities as my luck pretty much sucks with about any vanity.

Dark Legends: Fear- Level 31
    Star Legends: Decay- Level 46 Operative
    Pocket Legends: Prestige- Level 53 Bird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prestige For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I farm a lot too and never saw one thing drop. And I only see the green, red and gold in cs for sale. So does the blue one ever drop? I've bought the blue dragon, so I would love to have the blue armor and helmet. So up the odds on blue
    But when the odds aren't adjusted it is fine with me too. But...

As few others also said: The odds in Nuri are wrong, when u try to get your xp in Nuri without elixir like I did, I didnt get one single drop for steel or any pink armor or weapons. So those odds should be adjusted so that you have the change to get at least anywhere near crafting demonic stuff. When Nuri was the cap, I made one set str type, but sold it to get the crafted lvl 65 (in december 2011). At that time I didn't even get one and half million for the full set. Now that the droprates are so low. It is impossible to farm the stuff together...

Even though I could simply buy it again, the items are so rare, that most of the times the stuff isn't even for sale. So when STS do adjust the rates at Nuri's plz plz plz plz announce that too!!

May Luck be with you all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Seriously.
    I believe it is FINE.

Actually I spend almost all of my time farming--trying to up my overall kills and of course get a rare drop. I run with one of my 5-L66 toons, and I run with all of my guildmates. I am on PL 7 days a week for a minimum of 6 hours a day, but that is on a work day since...well I still need to work to pay my bills. On weekends I probably average closer to 10 hrs (Fri-Sun) and yet I still have not seen a drop. I have spent hours running each Fang boss--and although I am getting drops here and there again I have NOT seen a Dragon Vanity, nor has any of my guildmates. I have some friends that spend a LOT more time on PL than I do--and saying we can't handle a single thing hardcore is a little harsh imo. I would definitely rate myself as a hardcore player--and I do think it is a little too rare, because players need to get some gratification after their hours of runs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shree For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

In order to keep a game interesting you have to find a balance between too easy and too hard. People need to keep believing they have a chance at something they are seeking or they stop. For instance, I stopped farming for recipes after a month because I never got one. I wasn't motivated by wanting the item itself, but by wanting to actually craft something. Otherwise, I would have farmed gold and bought the item. Then I looked back on the month I spent trying to get a recipe as a total waste of time. After that I watched the drop rates and paid attention to what other players were reporting. If something was "uber-rare" (and most things are nowadays) I would try a few times, no expectations, then go on to something else.

So it comes down to behaviorism. If the reward stops showing up, the pigeon will keep pecking at the red spot for a while, then lose interest. There has to be a success or the pigeon won't try. Getting the pigeon to start pecking again will require some sort of evidence, an actual success, but now the pigeon won't try, so it has to be enticed.

So for me the question to ask isn't "how do you feel about a vanity being too abundant". I think the question is, what level of rarity will inspire you to farm? or How many fails before you quit? Because once they quit, like the pigeon, it's very hard to get them to start trying again. And what you want is a whole lot of players believing they will get drops if they try just one more time. That is how elixirs are sold, and that is how the population base is kept high.

That said, I'm so jaded, the current levels do not inspire me to farm at all. I do not play enough for the odds to work in my favor. It's a waste of time for me because I won't get it. Like the pigeon, I have lost hope. What gives me new hope? Usually when you announce a nerf or an item is added to the game that gives a temporary luck bonus like Pop's cap for Memorial Day.

as for "you need to be more hardcore" I can only say, well, no I don't. I have a life and I like it.

good luck!
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 06-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Windwaiker View Post
    Maybe count vlod should have a higher drop rate for dragon armors, because he is brutal! Then again, when we are all level 100, he might not be that hard.
    They backed themselves into a corner with the elixirs so harder boss can not equal higher drop rate. If Vlad did have a high rate for these, 5 thrashing players could beat a couple dragon sets out of him pretty quick while the non plats are complaining. Currently all players have the same chance at killing most bosses, and the same low chance at getting the armor, the thrashers just have more opportunities because they can repeat it faster. That does give them an advantage, but not one so overpowered that dragon armor becomes synonymous with "plat bought".

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As Apollo stated too rare is discouraging when not rare enough is "dull" and not a challenge. So, from my standpoint, an avarage 5% drop rate ( or maybe less ) would be good to start with. If the crying touches the forums too soon it means that it is too low or if we see too many using them it is too much... My opinion
    DL: love|Floating|Olympian|Cornflake
    pl: Karma|VVorld

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Floating View Post
    As Apollo stated too rare is discouraging when not rare enough is "dull" and not a challenge. So, from my standpoint, an avarage 5% drop rate ( or maybe less ) would be good to start with. If the crying touches the forums too soon it means that it is too low or if we see too many using them it is too much... My opinion
    I think 5% is pretty high, that would mean that you would get one in every 20 runs. Current pink rates arent even that high.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixillicus For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ixillicus View Post
    I think 5% is pretty high, that would mean that you would get one in every 20 runs. Current pink rates arent even that high.
    1% would make more sense, that way you would ~see~ one drop in every 20 runs (assuming a team of 5). The sweet spot is right where you have a decent chance of seeing it drop, but a low chance of that drop being you. I really think seeing the drops is what, as snakes would say, makes the pigeons want to peck

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ixillicus View Post
    Remember our mount fang runs? drop rates were much higher than that!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

1% drop rates!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

1% drop rate gives you ~63% chances over 100 attempts at getting the drop.

(one could extrapolate that Eli Holden in DL has a drop rate of 0.0001% therefore 0.01% over 100 tries :P)

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/dr...e-probability/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

The problem is, a lot of people actually can (especially since summer is around the corner....it's even here already for some). Those that can spend the 10 hours a day really make the value plummet quickly due to their constant farming....

I personally like how items are added mid-campaign. They did it in AO2, and Sewers. It draws back interest to the campaign, and gives people another oppritunity to make more gold from farming. I think if the rates were maybe a bit lower than Sewers were (as the community has grown since sewers, which means more end game farmers) and they added new items throughout the campaign, it would bring more interest back to farming, and give people a few oppritunities to make gold. As long as they don't make the new items superior than the others, it would help keep the economy flowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post

(one could extrapolate that Eli Holden in DL has a drop rate of 0.0001% therefore 0.01% over 100 tries :P)

To put 0.01% in better terms...

If 100 people did 100 runs only one of them would get one drop.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post

Yep this drop rate would be cool.

Nuri's is like 0.001% drop rate if nobody got anything in 1,000 runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Remember our mount fang runs? drop rates were much higher than that!
    Thats because everyone is after me luckkkkky cheeeerms.