Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How rare is too rare? What do you think about crazy rare stuff?

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

I think about 70% of the time I'm in a run and a good pink drops, I get it. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the rate is good. 95% of items are attainable easy enough as it is, in my opinion having some extremely super rare items like the dragon sets, or the l.56 sets for instance keeps the game challenging, and keeps you dreaming for more, which is what keeps you playing. easying up the rates will just make it another vanity for in your stash eventually and we have soooooo many of those already...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uiltje View Post
    I think the rate is good. 95% of items are attainable easy enough as it is, in my opinion having some extremely super rare items like the dragon sets, or the l.56 sets for instance keeps the game challenging, and keeps you dreaming for more, which is what keeps you playing. easying up the rates will just make it another vanity for in your stash eventually and we have soooooo many of those already...
    Says the guy with the red set ;D
    Haha jk
    But I agree it's kinda like a new vyxnaar helm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

The people that don't think the drop rate should be raised..
    A) Received a drop and doesn't want it to drop in rarity
    B) Have not farmed for countless hours!
    If you ask me, they should have a higher drop rate! It is absolutely crazy how long I have been farming and no luck! I was unlucky in Nuri's Hallows with 23 glyphs dropping in my group, none to me. But farming and only seeing one drop in my group is a little crazy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Actually I don't have one, but I think it's pretty cool having an ultra exclusive item in the game, something's should be ridiculously hard to get IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

played this game for alittle over 2 months
    the xp/drop rate is what i like about this game.
    casual gamers can easily level up, while the more serious gamers can go for the level cap with a reward (elite vanity)
    casual gamers can easily obain useable items (noncraftable pinks), while the more serious can farm for craftables.

As for the rarity of dragon vanity, i would think its a little low the moment. every now and then u hear about someone getting one. while i know there are farmers who spent tons of exliers thrasher 4x punch and farm for over a week n doesnt get it. if its a little more reward, it would encourage more players to do thrasher party to farm it.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

I think there should be a balance between rare drops and letting the players at least work toward something that will make them feel like they have not wasted their time on the hundreds of runs -- because until you actually get something, it feels like everything before it was a waste of time.

The cyber quest chain was great. You still had to do a crap load of runs to get the full set, but there were also chances of other items dropping.

I think the equivalent would be cyber type quest in Mt. Fang. You have to run Mt. Fang like 100 or 200 times to complete the quest. Basically, as you farm for the dragon vanity you also get a feeling of accomplishment because you can see the quest slowly getting completed. If nothing drops, you've at least gotten that tedious quest done and snazzy reward (rainbow dragon vanity?!)
    Kiitz - Int/Dex Bear (66) || Kiitx - Dex Bird (66) || Kiitzx - Int/Dex Mage (66)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I agree, the Cyber, Mystery and Black Ice quests are a good way to approach this. The only problem I have is that these items do not have elite stats. These items (Black Ice in particular) have stats that are just barely better than junk pinks, so at least for the Cyber and Mystery items, the only saving grace is the set bonus (which is paltry). The Black Ice items are junk, and something that I only sometimes use for my lower level twinks.

Perhaps there should be a quest that requires 25, 50 or 100 vlod kills - truly a grind! Maybe you can start with a base pink after 25 kills, enhance it after 50 and by 100 kills it becomes an honest-to-god elite item. Do the same for the other Fang bosses to complete a set where the set bonus scales based on whether your set consists of the base pinks, enhanced pinks or epic pinks. Unlike the Cyber and Mystery items, these should be allowed to be sold. So the base pink item may command 200K but the epic item would be well over 1M because it is such a grind and the stats would be so much better than any of the other pinks at that level!

The value that I see here is that these are the quest types that are a grind, so most will skip over them. Others, when they have hit the level cap, may come back and revisit the quests, and the elites will farm the heck out of them. It at least gives you a goal that you can chase when you hit level cap. Another important point is to give each set a unique appearance and aura as you enhance them - you know the sparkles/mist that is emanated when you have a set that grants a set-bonus.

In my mind, the most important thing is to grant the ability to create/craft/enhance/(whatever) a super-set. None of the current quest based sets are that good, even for their level. At this point, the two best sets in game are the Demonic and Crated. Because the drop rates in Nuri's is so low, the Demonic seems to be the elite set. While not quite at the same level as the Crafted, the Demonic is a terrific set, because for its level the Demonic is clearly superior and is even comparable to a set 5/6 levels higher. A new super-set should be so challenging to attain that it grants stats that are a little bit better/moderately better/substantially better than anything else for that level.

I know it may be sacrilegious to even think, let alone post, but I think that these items should not be attainable with Thrasher or other Elixirs. The COP is, in my humble opinion, one of the most epic items in game because it could only have been received through grinding - no 4X Thrasher runs, just a good group that would get together and grind through 100K kills. You know that when you find someone with the COP, they know how to play, and how to work as a group. This item was not granted because they kept throwing platinum at the game, but they learned the mechanics of the game and how to effectively work in a group to clear maps - making it, and the player wearing it truly Legendary.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ixillicus View Post
    I think 5% is pretty high, that would mean that you would get one in every 20 runs. Current pink rates arent even that high.
    I think I wanted to write 0.5% XD Mistake XD
    DL: love|Floating|Olympian|Cornflake
    pl: Karma|VVorld

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    1% drop rate gives you ~63% chances over 100 attempts at getting the drop.

(one could extrapolate that Eli Holden in DL has a drop rate of 0.0001% therefore 0.01% over 100 tries :P)

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/dr...e-probability/
    Someone check my math and give me my rate.

8 runs every 4 hours (8*4=32)
    There are 6 four hour periods in a day (32*6=192)
    There are 28 days in a four week period (192*28=5,376)
    Finally, I have 3 toons that have been exclusively doing this (5,376*3=16,128)
    So, that is 16,128 runs that I have personally done to try to get Eli Holden to spawn.
    Anyone care to guess what the drop rate is for him?

In Gluttony's dictionary there would be a picture of Eli Holden next to the definition of "too rare"... if he would only spawn for a photo op that is.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post

So, that is 16,128 runs that I have personally done to try to get Eli Holden to spawn.

In Gluttony's dictionary there would be a picture of Eli Holden next to the definition of "too rare"... if he would only spawn for a photo op that is.

According to this online calculator: There is a NaN percent chance of the item dropping in the given number of runs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post

Wow. Too rare. And who is Eli Holden? Lol...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmingstar View Post
    Wow. Too rare. And who is Eli Holden? Lol...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...917-Eli-Holden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

keep them as they are! but also won't the prices of the dragon vanity go down throughout time because they will become more popular?

Rauekat-lvl 71 bird, Rauekit-lvl 68 bear, Rauekot-lvl 43 mage, Rauekatjr lvl 15 bird! Proud recruiter of "The Elite"! Soon to be officer I hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Check the prices on the Demonic set in CS and tell me that prices go down after time.

On the contrary, prices (for Demonic at least) have gone up.

Other uber-rares like Vyxxnar have held, if not increased, in value.

The thing is, with drop rates so low, Demonic has become more valuable, because at this point, even the farmers have stopped trying to attain the drops. It's just too rare. Like I said in an earlier post, if you are merching and you look at revenues per game hour, Dragon and Demonic have absurdly low Return on Investment (return being CS price, investment being hours gaming to attain).

When new items, like the Dragon vanity, are announced, there is generally a surge of players trying to get them. This surge recedes quickly, especially with Humania due to come out soon, so in time, there will be fewer and fewer people farming for Dragon items, thus the increase in value.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have killed right around 1000 bosses since update and have only seen one drop. It was a red helm but it did not drop on me. The super rareness of this item has drawn me back to playing alot more hoping I will hit the jackpot. (not everyone hits the jackpot or the jackpot stays small and wouldn't be much of a jackpot) I think it would be neat if there were more items put into the game at all levels similar to this to encourage farming at all maps because it would be like spinning a slot machine and you would always have a chance at hitting the jackpot no matter which machine you played on as long as you were playing somewhere. The items wouldn't be near as cool if everyone had them or were easy to get they would all just end up in stash somewhere of some merch that would have 100's of them controlling the price. Te way it is now when someone sees someone with a dragon vanity everyone is talking about it. Super super cool IMO I just hope more rare items are put in like this on other levels and like I said maybe even some for the old towns as well then we could start seeing more people that don all look the same. It's so cool when I hear someone in guild chat say I just got a dragon vanity. Even though it's not me it's like hearing my neighbor say I won the lottery. I know everyone isn't going to win but hearing someone say it or hearing about the winner on the news (or in cs) keeps me playing the next day for a hope that maybe the next day will be my day. I hope the rates stay the way they are and I hope I find one soon lol I have been farming like crazy lately Goo luck everyone an happy farming <(^_^)>v Engelhard

Engelhard lvl 85 Engelbird lvl 85 Engelbear lvl 85 Engelrhino lvl 85 Engelfox lvl 85 Drahlegne lvl 10 Engeltwink lvl 10 Kitco lvl 10 Engelone lvl 1. And 12 mystery toons <(^_^)>v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Guys what annoys me here so much is that the way you guys are talking,
    You cannot handle a single thing that is hardcore.
    Seriously.
    It's just a freaking drop rate.
    Quit complaining about it and go spend 10 hours a day like Farak does.
    I believe it is FINE.
    I can go and show you some rates on other games, and you know what?
    The dedicated players in those other games farm a thousand more times more than I ever could have the patience for and they make an item with a drop rate like .0166 seem easy to farm.

I believe you guys just need to put some hardcore-ness on and just bear the grind.

I DO agree with Windwalker's idea.
    Make Count Vlod have a higher drop rate.
    He's way harder to kill for a party and he is rarely farmed compared to the first and second floors.
    People dont care what annoys you. You tell people to quit complaining but you yourself complain so much.

The devs can do what they think is fair. I havent got any dragon drop but i aint crying. it will drop when it drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Ok I wasn't gonna say anything more but I feel I have to now. (caps below are all for emphasis, not yelling.)

Whirlzap has made ALOT of sense. Why does everyone keep bashing him? IF the drop is going to be rare then Whirlzap is exactly right and, I believe, dead on about everything he has said. It's true the dragon gear hasn't been out all that long. If we were to add up all the hours that Farakseven has farmed, Im sure us more casual players could get the same amount of hours in, just spread out over more like a month or two. This thing is doable. You just gotta ask yourself "are you willing to put in the effort?" personally I'm not. I would rather keep merching and try and get as good as people like Evolt. Did we forget that these vanities can be bought? Get enough fang pinks and you can buy a dragon vanity...

Now. I believe where everyone is disagreeing with whirlzap is NOT with what he's saying, but RATHER with his whole opinion. He believes that the drop rate should be extremely rare. (We don't need another centurion vanity set.) while, personally, I don't believe they should be THAT rare, I at least respect his opinion and see all the logic in what he's saying. in other words, he makes his case perfectly. But his case is based on an opinion of his which I disagree with.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. I just hate seeing really smart people give an intelligent opinion and then get attacked for it by people who took less than 5 seconds to think of what to say. (I'm not thinking of anyone in particular. I'm just saying this generally speaking)
    ~MM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IshoootU View Post
    People dont care what annoys you. You tell people to quit complaining but you yourself complain so much.

The devs can do what they think is fair. I havent got any dragon drop but i aint crying. it will drop when it drops.
    Really? And who is the devs asking right now for their opinion?

Anyways, to respond to all of your opinions, I intentionally said, "You are not hardcore" to see what would happen.
    I'll take this one reply to reply to all of your comments.

First of all, by hardcore I meant 10 hours a day, complete farming non-stop.
    Of course only a VERY few do that.
    I never did say I do that everyday, I only recall farming 10 complete hours only when new campaigns come out, and that's on weekends.
    To clarify, I've also never gotten a Dragon Mystery drop as a looted item; I have merchanted several of them before though.

I want for people to easily be able to make gold and buy their sets.
    Yet I also want something like a gold sink or some very lucky item that will instantly make you rich.
    In other games, there is boss farming for drops that you sell to NPCs or liquidate. These bosses drop a lot of crap loot, around 20 items per kill.
    People farm this dungeon over and over just for the boss to sell the gear, and it makes really fast in game currency for them.
    Another game has dungeons that drop little items that can be used for crafting, but in very numerous amounts. These are special items that are used in many features of the game.
    Because PL has none of these ways of making money, we can only focus on farming. Our pinks drop pretty frequently. However if we are looking to make a lot of gold at once, we will look to Mount Fang, especially hoping for a Dragon Vanity. If the drop rates are lowered, we will not have anywhere to look to for making fast gold.
    Though the drop rates seem quite low, we can already see a lot of deflation going on in the CS. Dragon Vanities are already as low as 5mil or so within the first month of release.

Yet the other game that has seen these vanities before us is Star Legends. The first vanities, Mechanical Hat/X-Ray Visor were extremely rare. They were insanely high priced and still are today, yet drop in a campaign that is not the current cap one.
    If we look at the next campaign, Slouch-O, you can see the vanities there have deflated prices compared to the Visors and etc.
    Yet, after many new campaigns later, the Visor and Hat still have a high valued price.

I'm almost 100% sure STS will release more dropping vanities for Humania.

I understand the reason for you to bash on me. I intentionally made that post just to see what you would bash on me for.

I also noted that some people said they were not hardcore.
    I'm going to tell you one thing. People have lives.
    I bet only 1% of the PL population is made of players who are grown up, don't go to school/work and don't really do anything but play games all day.
    Everyone has a life.
    I have school and a job. I don't play PL all day.
    I understand where you are. I even went inactive for a few months during my busy times in the year.
    It's somewhere we all are.
    Don't get me wrong.
    But yet, I still think having something challenging, something very rare, something, that if dropped to you, will make your day, in this game would be okay.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirlzap For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IshoootU View Post

Your post is confusing. It's like you're agreeing with Whirl and bashing him at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to drewcapu For This Useful Post: