So yesterday I leveled up to 70 and equiped my crafted Tiki God Crusher/Bongo set (I'm a bear). It's a long haul to 71, so decided to take a break and did some PvP for the first time since I was around level 20. Even when I was level 20, I did not do it much, so I'm basically new to PvP.

So I went up against a bird with a bow set, and later against a mage with a wand set. When we were in a castle, I won almost all the fights. I was able to do the beckon/stomp combo, and then move in for the final hit in a hurry. But once we changed the venue to the forest, without any walls to slam them against I lost every single battle. I would do the beckon/stomp combo, but then they would go flying across the screen and by the time I could get over to where they were, they were recovered and would kill me.

I'm sure I'm probably not using the best strategy here. Can someone more experienced give me some tips on how to approach fighting against a bird with a bow set, and a mage with a wand set, when we are in a wide open space with no walls?