Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: name change time limit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Analytical View Post
    Let me get straight to the heart of your comment.

Privacy in itself means we don't want people to know all about us. For whatever reasons (we don't want to attract thiefs, ill intended people following us, using/selling our information for their advertising purposes etc)

Point is, it doesn't matter what the person is "hiding" (objectively speaking, this could be either their personal info, the money/things they have, the things that did they are ashamed of etc) Regardless of what they are "hiding", it matters if you actually have the right to know something someone doesn't want you to know without their consent. And actually to be non-judgmental, I would refrain from using the negatively connotated word "hiding" and use "chooses not to disclose certain information"

Here I will use the simplest example. Phone number. Not every girl you flirt with give your their phone numbers right in the go. People have the right not to disclose their personal information to anyone they know or announce it publicly. They keep it private so that their life doesn't get complicated. Another example would definitely be celebrity. They would certainly "pray hard" for some solid privacy as they already got so much attention on them.

Bottom line is simple.

Privacy = respecting people personal information that they are not willing to share publicly. Don't care what context we are speaking in. And no one is obliged to tell you why they need privacy for. It's basic human respect.

Of course,
    1. To circumvent this, we have tech savvy scammers who will find out your personal information even without your consent, and use it against you. In real life this is cyber crime, in game because there's no "government" or that sts doesn't yet have a solid stand/clear rule on this, people can do what they want.
    2. If you are concerned with people who have done something "wrong" in the context of real life or game, the authorities or sts have the right to dig their personal information and punish them or ban them accordingly instead of directly giving this power to any random players by allowing anyone to view with complete transparency.

P.S. Frankly, I enjoy having matured discussions without assumptions but the thing I didn't like is you and a few others made it sound like people are bad for wanting privacy while in fact it is in their every right to do so.
    You have a reading problem, stay on topic.
    You write a lot of blabla that is not related to the subject, as I said before, I only said a history of the names that one has or has had.
    It does not affect anyone in any way how you want to make it seem with that page of nonsensical verbiage that does not go to the topic.
    The names are currently public, no privacy is invaded as you say, but it is difficult to keep track of even a scamer with the current system.
    Contrary to the way in which it benefits the scamer more, because they change their name and disappear quickly.
    Currently sts asks for a lot of evidence that players for obvious reasons do not have.
    This is to help people, to know who to watch out for.
    Regarding your P.D. you have said it yourself. You hide to do "merch" and we all know what that implies. Do not victimize yourself.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

or... or maybe add an option to put a nickname for people in your friend list and guildies. That way it doesn't matter how many times someone changes their ign... neither have to worry about plat usage increase per nick change... and you'll still know them.

example is: someone is called xyz in your fl or guild, you get the option to nickname them like funnydude (xyz) . That way even if they turn out to be a scammer for some wild reason, you can go in town and you can see their characters as funnydude (xyz/new ign) instead of just xyz.
    Last edited by EpicX; 12-15-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    You write a lot of blabla that is not related to the subject, as I said before, I only said a history of the names that one has or has had.
    It does not affect anyone in any way how you want to make it seem with that page of nonsensical verbiage that does not go to the topic.
    The names are currently public, no privacy is invaded as you say, but it is difficult to keep track of even a scamer with the current system.
    Contrary to the way in which it benefits the scamer more, because they change their name and disappear quickly.
    Currently sts asks for a lot of evidence that players for obvious reasons do not have.
    Regarding your P.D. you have said it yourself. You hide to do "merch" and we all know what that implies. Do not victimize yourself.
    How's that out of topic? That entire comment is about privacy. Which is completely relevant to what we are talking about here.

"The names are currently public, no privacy is invaded as you say"
    "I only said a history of the names that one has or has had."
    it would be better to have a history of names and alternate char that the player has
    Privacy in this context here is our alternate names, present or past.

To you it may be okay for others to know, to some it is not. (Whatever that reason may be)

"Regarding your P.D. you have said it yourself. You hide to do "merch" and we all know what that implies. Do not victimize yourself."
    "You have a reading problem"
    That's the irony, since when did I say "I hide to do merch" or "I use different accounts to merch"? Who has reading problem now? When will these annoying assumptions stop?

I said I used to (or if you would prefer me say "in the past, did it before, last time") merch few years back. Obviously not pertaining to any specific character I used. Plus I didn't need to "hide" to merch. I did it openly with my main character poorbutpro and many guildmates even wanted me to teach them how to merch at that time. Now I rarely do it anymore, it is too time consuming, I do value investing (long term investment) now.

"This is to help people, to know who to watch out for."
    What a noble reason to invade one's privacy. Privacy is subjective here. What is okay for you may not be okay for others. Have some basic empathy.

If you really want to help people from scams etc, there are other, arguably, better options that does not invade anyone's privacy. Like
    -banning the account temporarily until the person is found clean
    -locking their access to trades function

To give you and others who suggested similar idea the benefit of doubts, lets actually assume that this gets implemented:
    And say, about 60-70% of players are legit, so we disclose all accounts/alternate char just to address scammers who makes up 20-30% of players?
    If you care so much about scammers, do you care a tiny bit about the majority of legit players who may not want ALL of their alternate names to be publicly known?
    Last edited by Analytical; 12-15-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Can you please elaborate why is it wrong to merch?

If they offer a stupid offer or what you call lowballing, you can just ignore it and move on. Instead what you do, is add even more irrelevant comments such as "scammer" "lowballer" and things that are offensive you could just rather reply with "Sorry, way too low, can you offer a bit more?"

And please understand that what Analytical said regarding privacy they are making a metaphor so it's relatable and easy to understand, but the case with you is you're not open minded with these discussion. it's not just blabla - you are the one who has a reading problem here.

I think that devs can see player's name change history, if you managed to report their last name they can see who they were before and after, that is enough evidence to know if someone is a scammer if not, you did not provide enough evidence to prove someone guilty.

One last thing, why do you keep pressing Analytical has done something wrong just because they just want privacy?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Greazemk For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

How's that out of topic? That entire comment is about privacy. Which is completely relevant to what we are talking about here.

Privacy in this context here is our alternate names, present or past.

To you it may be okay for others to know, to some it is not. (Whatever that reason may be)

That's the irony, since when did I say "I hide to do merch" or "I use different accounts to merch"? Who has reading problem now? When will these annoying assumptions stop?

I said I used to (or if you would prefer me say "in the past, did it before, last time") merch few years back. Obviously not pertaining to any specific character I used. Plus I didn't need to "hide" to merch. I did it openly with my main character poorbutpro and many guildmates even wanted me to teach them how to merch at that time. Now I rarely do it anymore, it is too time consuming, I do value investing (long term investment) now.

What a noble reason to invade one's privacy. Privacy is subjective here. What is okay for you may not be okay for others. Have some basic empathy.

If you really want to help people from scams etc, there are other, arguably, better options that does not invade anyone's privacy. Like
    -banning the account temporarily until the person is found clean
    -locking their access to trades function

To give you and others who suggested similar idea the benefit of doubts, lets actually assume that this gets implemented:
    And say, about 60-70% of players are legit, so we disclose all accounts/alternate char just to address scammers who makes up 20-30% of players?
    If you care so much about scammers, do you care a tiny bit about the majority of legit players who may not want ALL of their alternate names to be publicly known?
    How am I going to invade people's privacy? You can literally see his name because he is public. This conversation has lost its logic.

P.S: "i use different account to merch" Why do you do that? because you take advantage of people, it's simple, it's not "bad", but over time you lose credibility, so you turn to other char.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

How am I going to invade people's privacy? You can literally see his name because he is public. This conversation has lost its logic.

P.S: "i use different account to merch" Why do you do that? because you take advantage of people, it's simple, it's not "bad", but over time you lose credibility, so you turn to other char.
    For god sake READ & UNDERSTAND before you mindlessly reply.

Who doesn't know our names are public?
    Are you even reading what I said is currently private?
    Our alternates names, accounts, etc etc are all only known to us alone, no one else knows all of them.
    So, how's this set of personal information not private?
    I'm not talking about the names A, B, C, D, of course A, B, C, D are public, I'm talking about do you know that the names A=B=C=D ?

Dude, You have just lost your comprehending ability. Nothing to do with any logic here.

Why do u keep claiming things I did not even say?
    Did I ever say I used different accounts to merch?
    Or was that a pure assumption from your side?
    Can you read and actually comprehend what's being said?

P.S. I'm perfectly fine with people having different opinions, at the end of the day this is a public forum. What pisses me off is not a different opinion but rather the self-righteousness that one shows when he or she hasn't even fully comprehended what was discussed.
    Last edited by Analytical; 12-15-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inozuke View Post
    that's what a thief would say since no one is such a fool to change name every month
    my friend changes names every month. He has a couple different names that he likes to rotate around more than 2 characters. Apparently you think he's a thief. What gives any player the right to tell other players how to use their platinum? get outta here with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

For god sake READ & UNDERSTAND before you mindlessly reply.

Who doesn't know our names are public?
    Are you even reading what I said is currently private?
    Our alternates names, accounts, etc etc are all only known to us alone, no one else knows all of them.
    So, how's this set of personal information not private?
    I'm not talking about the names A, B, C, D, of course A, B, C, D are public, I'm talking about do you know that the names A=B=C=D ?

Dude, You have just lost your comprehending ability. Nothing to do with any logic here.

Why do u keep claiming things I did not even say?
    Did I ever say I used different accounts to merch?
    Or was that a pure assumption from your side?
    Can you read and actually comprehend what's being said?

P.S. I'm perfectly fine with people having different opinions, at the end of the day this is a public forum. What pisses me off is not a different opinion but rather the self-righteousness that one shows when he or she hasn't even fully comprehended what was discussed.
    Go continue editing your posts xD I'm not really interested in the subject anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i agree, +1

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

i should be allowed to rename whenever i please , this idea should be thrown in the garbage back to back to back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Megatr0n For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

i wouldnt ever want to change name, cus the heart of the game are friends you have, some kinda get lost in name change.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
    i should be allowed to rename whenever i please , this idea should be thrown in the garbage back to back to back

Would a scammer say that or what are you afraid of?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Would a scammer say that or what are you afraid of?
    would somebody that doesn't understand consumerism say the things you are saying? yes

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawpvp View Post
    would somebody that doesn't understand consumerism say the things you are saying? yes
    your comment is like this:
    Hi, I'm Mr. Idiot, I change my name every month because yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

and? what's wrong about it?

Nooo, you just can't change name every month because you like it and have a lot of platinums I'll call you an idiot and a scammer if you don't stop that!!
    Name:  sheesh.png
Views: 100
Size:  76.0 KB

Your replies doesn't make anysense or any kind of logic why is it bad, the only thing you kept saying is, No, you can't change name, you're probably a scammer. Pepelaugh

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Names should get thrown into a 6 month Q/Cooldown like twitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Lol this thread is turning to comedy section no one is serious XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

"I'm stupid enough to get scammed so I think I should be able to control how other people spend their money."

I wish I could control how you spend your money, so you would stop paying for electricity and not be able to use forums anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

I never knew if once you change your name if it goes back into the available names. Does it? I would guess not due to the trouble it would cause but im not sure. Anyone Know?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chiiwawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    I disagree. Ive been changing my name more than once a month(bored, nothin to do with the plat) for a few months now. What is it your business if i want to change my name frequently? Do you consider me a scammer now that i like to change my name up? Just having a conversation here.

Players need to hold themselves accountable too when it comes to getting scammed. Officers or GMs need to have better discretion for their guild and this problem can be almost completely eliminated.

No.
    Not saying your a scammer or anything but bored as you said but... Changing your name more than one a month over boredom just sounds flat out fishy.

No matter what the reason.