Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Lightbulb Unofficial List of Improvements for Engineer PvP

Dear Community,

With a scattered list of complaints on engineer pvp throughout the forum I thought it was time to make a clear list with community support on what exact improvements can be made to put the engi class in par with its siblings. There is a clear need for slight adjustments because of the sheer lack of engis (in the arena) let alone engis with kd above 1. There is also the need to suppress (no pun intended) the thought that running/kiting is cheating.

I will split the improvements into 3 classes. Major, Minor, and Special. Major improvements have the risk of making the engi class overpowered if applied, Minor improvements may not fully fulfill what engis need and special represents a possible skill that could be made to fit in the last space that balances everything on the contingency that the special skill that the coms and ops would receive are inferior to the engi's special.

The purpose of this is not to show off my own list but to include you guys so if you post please post an improvment and justify whether its major, minor or special if you can. Also if you disagree with any ideas please feel free to debate.

Thanks and hopefully STS reads this and responds. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I had Engi Class Discussion, Suggestions, and PvP to choose and I assumed most people read this subforum.

~TheRajX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MAJOR

-Increase DOT range from 12m to 13-15m so that we can run before getting lurched or slowed.
    -Have the ability to Mez Break out of graviton slam or lurch like we can out of suppression.
    -Increase the threshold of Force shield from 75 max to....150 max.
    -Remove Force Shield Threshold and only rely on a timer.
    -Add mana regen to empathy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MINOR

-Increase Heals from ~24/3sec to ~40/3sec (Note that heals are 90/3sec in PvE)
    -Increase Health and/or Mana regen by 1-2
    -Increase Debuff power of Decay to -100-120 range instead of -60
    -Decrease skill regen for suppression/force shield
    -Let suppression stop opponent from issuing damage. 6 sec of free time.
    SPECIAL

-Debuff Skill other than Decay.
    -Skill that allows engis to regain mana fast.
    -Skill that pushes.
    -Damage Amplify skill.
    -Add skill that leeches all hp from damage. or leeches mana, or half and half.
    Last edited by TheRajX; 07-24-2012 at 11:47 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheRajX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

I love This.
    "Still Retired but casually dueling in PvP from Time to Time"
    EXTREME BOSS SLAYERS Are Back!
    Wanting a signature? Send me a Pm (SL credits only)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Yes. 'Nuff said.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Emapthy - mainly for heals.
    plus effect would be, removing debuffs (slow, root, amply pain)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Default Unofficial List of Improvements for Engineer PvP

The lack of pvp engs is due to unwillingness, not lack of skill. A good engi can lash out damage surprisingly quickly, some do more damage than some ops. An attack buff is literally all they need to compete with ops and comms, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    The lack of pvp engs is due to unwillingness, not lack of skill. A good engi can lash out damage surprisingly quickly, some do more damage than some ops. An attack buff is literally all they need to compete with ops and comms, IMO.
    Taipan,

Theoretically yes, engis can whip out some amazing power, but pragmatically this comes with a low probability of success. I'm sure you know that to be certain that we emerge the victors in an op battle, we must run and spring Damage over Time attacks at you (op) for at least 2 rounds. In the start of the match our tactic itself relies on probability. We tend to ask ourselves, will our huge damage doing opponent waste some buffs when we use supression? With a trained op, which most ops unfortunately are, we find ourselves stuck with lurch as soon as we attempt a supression. What happens now? we die. Only 1/30 probability we can actually get out of that mess and heal and try again. So lets say for the average op that i have a 1/3 chance of hitting supression and not getting lurched. Lets do that two times before we go all out. (1/3 x 1/3) = 1/9 probability of success. Fair? I think not. This all applies to come as well other than the fact that at least 20 rounds must be made to kill a comm and 3 graviton slams + combos can lead to a fatal death for us. This does not even include custom coms. As the best engis around (Asigreofay tsk tsk), there might be a 1/100 probability in defeating custom coms...

The purpose of this is to increase our chance of success and not set out with a 1/9 kd. That would be nice and Im sure pvp engis agree. If its fixed, we'll see more players on, and through soon the population of all three will be equal. Though I agree that engneers are sometimes peer pressured to not even participate because of the heavy imbalance as you pointed out, the root source always points to how engi pvp needs to be improved...

The last point about an attack buff, please describe in more detail and i'll gladly add it onto the list.

~TheRajX

~ I admit this math is somewhat of a hyperbole for a strong engineer, but to an proficient engineer, this is a reality.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRajX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Honestly if they change engineers I'll be super sad and happy at the same time all my hard work and pride will mean nothing if they just make us better what's the fun of a fair fight ? but pvp would be more enjoyable to not get called a runner a much or want to rage quit eh... I still am not sure if I want fixed I'm one heck of a eng as it is ( my humbleness bursting through)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akfury View Post
    Honestly if they change engineers I'll be super sad and happy at the same time all my hard work and pride will mean nothing if they just make us better what's the fun of a fair fight ? but pvp would be more enjoyable to not get called a runner a much or want to rage quit eh... I still am not sure if I want fixed I'm one heck of a eng as it is ( my humbleness bursting through)
    I would totally feel the same way if they would make it easier for us cause i like to be challanged cause i will never learn to battle and acually learn the other classes skills and use it against them,instead of slapping damage to kill ,you use tactics to defeat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

In an improvement such as having suppression block all attacks for 6 seconds or increasing our heals, we will still be able to use our old skills and in fact we will still need too to win, but it will make the classes more balanced as it'll make it harder for ops or coms to kill us.

Submit more improvements here that can satisfy you without taking away anything.
    ~TheRajX | Need a sig? A good one? A creative one? Click here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Bubble gum, eng can chew it and then if he wants can blow the bubble up to block all attacks and then gradually float away before it pops ;-)

Akihabara Denki Gai (Home of all the OTAKUS! XD)- Tokyo, Japan :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Interesting thread...... engis have always been underpowered....

Sent from my LT26a using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    DO NOT INVITE ME TO YOUR GUILD IN SL UNLESS IT'S EBS TYVM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

Yeah but there are some very skilled ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

the skilled ones are still very weak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

I've seen a pro engi beat a decent op.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jblazer View Post
    I've seen a pro engi beat a decent op.
    yes it is very possible just unlikely i have beaten many "pro" ops and coms in my time just not consistent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Taipan do you really like coming into every engi forum and talking about how bad engis are, now your acually lowering my self esteem. We all know already that engis are broken but us (all the engis acually still playing) we know that we are bad but as soon as we find a way through that shield surrounding us from our true power, we will come out of our shield soon and when we do youll be begging to our knees for advice. Im saying this to all the engis out there NEVER give up we will soon shine from the dark.
    ~ matrixblast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Taipans cool, he wants engineers to be better just like everyone else. Give him some slack ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchturbo View Post
    Taipans cool, he wants engineers to be better just like everyone else. Give him some slack ;-)
    Ik hes a cool guy and i pvped with him but it would be nice if he could show some of that confidence with us engis we would be glad to hear him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Force field and Protection both need to be % buffs, not flat buffs. Say, something like 10% of the engis armor per skill point on protection and ~15% per skill point for force field. To be fair, make them non-stackable, or you'd get engis in pvp with the possibility of having a 150% armor buff. That would benefit both pvp and pve. Do away with the super low damage threshold on force field. Either put a timer on the duration or at least quadruple the damage limit before it ends.

-----
    This post has +5 to topic derailment.
    Last edited by Deathpunch; 07-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch View Post
    Force field and Protection both need to be % buffs, not flat buffs. Say, something like 10% of the engis armor per skill point on protection and ~15% per skill point for force field. To be fair, make them non-stackable, or you'd get engis in pvp with the possibility of having a 150% armor buff. That would benefit both pvp and pve. Do away with the super low damage threshold on force field. Either put a timer on the duration or at least quadruple the damage limit before it ends.

-----
    This post has +5 to topic derailment.
    The Threshold extending was a already up there, but the timer and % buff ideas are new, thank you very much for contributing, i'm welcome to all armor enhancement.

But, i disagree with the whole no stacking thing unless regen times for both are the same while skills last for half the amount. Instead, smaller percents could work.
    Last edited by TheRajX; 07-11-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    ~TheRajX | Need a sig? A good one? A creative one? Click here.