Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do my parents punish me over sports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onaraasider View Post
    Thank you all for your intake, but those that say i will get it back soon, it says IF i am appropriately placed in a better group(coaches decision by the way I'm running or hurting) and if I am beating those that i run again.
    What i really am trying to say is why am i getting punished at the END of the season when we have no track meet coming up, and while im hurting.
    They want you to be in tip top shape?

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>

Tournament & Ladder Leader Onaraasider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notyocookiez View Post
    It may not be our place but I'm doing because I care.

Always, just keep your head up Bro. I play soccer and we condition just like track. I know because I also played track. Your parents wants the best of you and I love when my parents say I'm not good and I should beat them.

Take these words and use them to motivate you. Push yourself each time you go to track. You will never get better if you don't leave your "comfort zone".

Your parents only want the best from you. Just my mine and many others. In fact if it wasn't for my parents I wouldn't be on one of the best soccer team in my area.

Hope you feel better
    I don't stay in my comfort zone, and at meets i try the best i can sometimes even harder than i should. I love track, and i just hate how my parents say I'm not trying the best i can when i know i am trying as hard as i can.
    Thanks to Aaroniero Arruruerie for the wonderful signature
    tap green thumb or thanks button if i helped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piosidon View Post
    They want you to be in tip top shape?
    Of course they want me to stay in shape but that's is not why they are punishing me i do many things to stay in shape daily or weekly,skating,stretching and sometimes P90X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

This kinda stuff happens.They are not trying to be mean,however they believe that you weren't trying 110%.And i'm sure it's hard for them as parents.I play on a football team myself i'm ranked 2nd in the League.So obviously they expect a lot of me.But what really matters is they encourage you when you are about to give up.I wouldn't hold a grudge against you're parents for this.I agree they didn't make a good choice,but they'll come back and make a better one some day.
    Last edited by Jblazer; 07-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    This sounds like something that none of us should provide input for. Private family matters. The best you could do is what rob advised, but it really isn't our place.
    He's looking for support from us, if he wanted it to stay private, he wouldn't have posted.

It happens to me as well. I play basketball, and my family is very competitive. One bad game, and I could lose all my hobbies (like video games) for a week or more. The only reason they're hard on you, is because they see your talent. They believe that you'll make it far in whatever sport you're doing. Besides, it's better to have a caring family than to have a family that doesn't support you at all right? Trust me, they're doing it for the best. Just look at it as constructive criticism, and channel your anger/energy into your next event.

If your legs really do hurt you, you definitely want to stretch for an hour before your event. I have the same problem. I'm about the same age as you, and my legs also bother me quite a bit. It's because you're growing Whenever I stretch, my legs feel fine

Keep doing your best, and you'll be fine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Hey Man,

To start off, keep trying your best. Don't let others, especially your parents tell you that you're trying hard enough when you know you are.

I used to have a Step Dad that would always (excuse me) ***** about me not going hard enough in sports. I was hurt by the things he would say to me all the time, and instead of taking it, I stood up to him. I know it sounds cheesy coming from someone you don't know, but I yelled in his face "Instead of telling me to run harder in soccer, why don't you get off the couch and try running for once fat ***!" Yeah it felt awesome, heck, he even stopped giving me grudges. (Luckily my Mom found a better husband.) I soon found out this step dad of mine only wanted me to get scholarships for soccer; he didn't trust my academic skills nor did he want to pay anything into my college tuition.

I don't believe that parents should ever push a child too far because they 'see talent' in someone. That's abuse, and you're taking away a kid's rights.

This is probably your real Father we're talking about, but a true father would never tell his Son he's not good enough. Stand up to him, find that courage to do so.

Best of luck though... if you need anything send a PM.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 07-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

hey ona whats up!
    it may seem bad that you are losing to such lesser opponents but look at it this way
    you could have no legs or be in a wheelchair from birth even worse yet...
    AIDS or even worse yet...
    DIE IN THE HALOCUAUST (and im not talking about falling off the guard tower)
    looks like you need the off season to give yourself a break as it probably will heal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOBv2gkMOY
    my computor is acting up so i couldnt directly post the vid or even play pl on it atm

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Livemau For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Livemau View Post
    hey ona whats up!
    it may seem bad that you are losing to such lesser opponents but look at it this way
    looks like you need the off season to give yourself a break as it probably will heal

my computor is acting up so i couldnt directly post the vid or even play pl on it atm
    Lol that video made my day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Hey Man,

To start off, keep trying your best. Don't let others, especially your parents tell you that you're trying hard enough when you know you are.

I used to have a Step Dad that would always (excuse me) ***** about me not going hard enough in sports. I was hurt by the things he would say to me all the time, and instead of taking it, I stood up to him. I know it sounds cheesy coming from someone you don't know, but I yelled in his face "Instead of telling me to run harder in soccer, why don't you get off the couch and try running for once fat ***!" Yeah it felt awesome, heck, he even stopped giving me grudges. (Luckily my Mom found a better husband.) I soon found out this step dad of mine only wanted me to get scholarships for soccer; he didn't trust my academic skills nor did he want to pay anything into my college tuition.

I don't believe that parents should ever push a child too far because they 'see talent' in someone. That's abuse, and you're taking away a kid's rights.

This is probably your real Father we're talking about, but a true father would never tell his Son he's not good enough. Stand up to him, find that courage to do so.

Best of luck though... if you need anything send a PM.
    I not that mad anymore, still a bit, but i have snapped on my dad once, and it was when I said: "I dont care" It isnt a good idea for me to snap on my dad because he is my real father giving him the right to punish me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    He's looking for support from us, if he wanted it to stay private, he wouldn't have posted.

It happens to me as well. I play basketball, and my family is very competitive. One bad game, and I could lose all my hobbies (like video games) for a week or more. The only reason they're hard on you, is because they see your talent. They believe that you'll make it far in whatever sport you're doing. Besides, it's better to have a caring family than to have a family that doesn't support you at all right? Trust me, they're doing it for the best. Just look at it as constructive criticism, and channel your anger/energy into your next event.

If your legs really do hurt you, you definitely want to stretch for an hour before your event. I have the same problem. I'm about the same age as you, and my legs also bother me quite a bit. It's because you're growing Whenever I stretch, my legs feel fine

Keep doing your best, and you'll be fine
    To bad I'm not running fall track, because i would've had something to make me run like flash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

hey ona whats up!

TROLOLOLOL! Funniest vid ever!
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Something funny is, i could easily find my iPod using the find my iPhone app on iCloud.com,but i am controlling myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I don't want to get into the parenting subject but do find a way to get those hips checked by a physician. Hip injuries can cause serious disabilities/problems later in life , don't mess with these.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=1383
    Last edited by StompArtist; 07-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Maybe he wants to see you do what he hadn't got the chance to do when he was young. My dad is like that also, but I know he just wants to see me do my best. I play tennis which is constant running. Parents like to get the chance to brag about their children. Now I am not saying I agree with that punishment. I would have been steaming too.
    Thank me if this post was useful

| Riomage level 71 enchantress | Secret bear level 37 |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

If you really want our opinion then, your parents are jerks, in that situation at least.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I totally understand how you feel. My parents push me a lot in education too. I tried and tried to make them proud and be good enough for them, especially for my dad. He expects a lot from me. But I could never live up to his expectations. I gave up and just do what I can. When I had a tumor I felt horrible that I tried all that and now I am gonna die without having a life. But when I'm cured I go back to school to find that life as I know it is gone. Lost all my friends and all the glory, and my singing voice. I'm now just a shadow of who I once was. *holds your hand and pats you in the back* don't give up man. You are not alone. Keep fighting.
    PL-ebeleran(mage)
    SL-ebeleran(engineer)
    DL-ebeleran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I'm sorry. The best thing about being an adult and having my kids is taking the good my parents gave me and using that to parent but leaving the bad stuff behind and remembering what it feels like to have no power against irrational, demeaning punishments. Once things calm down I suggest asking your mom or dad to schedule a doctors appt so you can get your hips checked. Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

hey ona whats up!
    Do it like Livemau suggested, shoot your competitors. Or just throw teddy bears onto the grass to sidetrack them, we are talking about 9 year old girls after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I beleive that some parents want their children to be winners. But they want it that bad they do not understand the situation their child is in. For example, in your situation, your dad beleived you were the best of all, that I do not say you are not, and he was a jerk to be mean to you because you did not beat them. Doing sports is not about winning in my opinion. It is about getting morals and a better body, like what ancient greeks said "Νους υγιήσ εν σώματι υγιή". If your father cannot understand why you do the run practise then I would say he has some inner phycological problems that he tries to beat via you winning races or something. Be happy! You know that you hurt so do not listen to him. He just nerdraged for no reason on u...
    DL: love|Floating|Olympian|Cornflake
    pl: Karma|VVorld

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I know how you felt when that happened.I've been there only in soccer a few months ago I was playing CAM=Central Attacking Middle
    When my team mate passed the ball to me there was no one else there but me so I had to run over there but 2 people tripped me (I was close to having penalty) my fingers got crushed and my arm felt really weird like I couldn't move them.I was gonna be switched with someone else but then my parents said "It's only your arms and hands.You need legs to play" So when I heard them I told my coach the same. When I was suppose to kick the soccer ball I knew there was 1% chance I would make it since there were no ways of getting in and 99% missing.
    So the only way was to get passed the people who are supposed to jump and guard the goalie.When I kicked it I made it like a curve, the goalie went the same way but he was so close to catch the ball.so when the ball curved it hit the post and went in which my parents were glad since it was the finals against the hard team.

My point is try your best there is a chance you can make it next time. Just try to move to an angle it won't hurt.

"There's more than meets the Eye"
    Star Legends: Zraorizer/TheHelper/TheHelperJr
    Dark Legends: Dragon
    Pocket Legends: Zraorizer