Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Blackstar Chronicles Lore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Timeline added! Haha! Ok... next the tech logs!

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Data Files have been added! More coming tomorrow!

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

2380: new lvl cap released

Lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cephei For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cephei:741568
    2380: new lvl cap released

Lol
    LOL!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    The coloney on Equinox has been logged in! Originated from the bio of the mercenary: Red Winter.
    Colony*

I hate typos, too.

-----
    NOTE TO READER: The above post should most likely be read in a sarcastic tone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deathpunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch:741640
    The coloney on Equinox has been logged in! Originated from the bio of the mercenary: Red Winter.
    Colony*

I hate typos, too.

-----
    NOTE TO READER: The above post should most likely be read in a sarcastic tone.
    I'll make sure my spell checker isn't trolling me again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

It's too long for me to edit it on mobile! T_T
    Forever tormented...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Going to work on this more now that 2 more chapters have been written by Battle!
    Been working on my grandma's house over and over to get it on the market so she can get to a smaller one closer to town so that's why I haven't been updating this thread as much as I wanted to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Maybe this will help to organize?

http://starlegends.wikia.com/wiki/St...hronicles_Wiki
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flashbackflip For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip View Post
    Perhaps. It seems very sparse, though hopefully it will bulk up in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder View Post
    Perhaps. It seems very sparse, though hopefully it will bulk up in time.

It can be 'bulked' with the info from OP. thats the idea.. Wiki is only a structure - the content is made by users.. Like Cahaun did
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip:761727
    This can help organize all this a lot. Just gotta teach myself how to use wikipedia...

Thanks for the link, Flash. Until I understand how to fully use wiki, this'll be the main Blackstar Lore Library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

In order to add more content without pushing my internets data limit to Oblivion, I have chosen to just continue it from here and combine them all after my data usage is reset. I'll start this little portion out with a good overview on Scorn Technology.

DATA FILE: SCORN TECHNOLOGY
    Scorn technology is powered by a dark gift given to them by their Star God creator. This dark gift allows Scorn War-Priests the power to enslave demonic beings and use them as a fuel-source. These 'beings' exist in a nightmarish dimension that lies beyond the void of space. They do not come willingly! Once they are captured and enslaved the demons' seething rage and hatred becomes a devastating source of energy!

These evil energy sources can be found in almost all Scorn technology but most profoundly in their weaponry. Scorn will place a demon’s heart into the chamber of a heavy weapon, allowing it to grow stronger with each enemy it fells. They use modules filled with trapped souls to increase their rifles’ fire rates and inflict targets with putrid bleeding wounds. The Scorn have dragged giant demonic beasts into this dimension and imprisoned them within massive habitats, harnessing their immense power to propel their forces through space like starships. There is no end to how the Scorn will pervert these souls into implements of destruction.

I'd like to thank STS on this small hint on their use as now it'll set some guidelines for later stories.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 09-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

In order to add more content without pushing my internets data limit to Oblivion, I have chosen to just continue it from here and combine them all after my data usage is reset. I'll start this little portion out with a good overview on Scorn Technology.

Scorn technology is powered by a dark gift given to them by their Star God creator. This dark gift allows Scorn War-Priests the power to enslave demonic beings and use them as a fuel-source. These 'beings' exist in a nightmarish dimension that lies beyond the void of space. They do not come willingly! Once they are captured and enslaved the demons' seething rage and hatred becomes a devastating source of energy!

These evil energy sources can be found in almost all Scorn technology but most profoundly in their weaponry. Scorn will place a demon’s heart into the chamber of a heavy weapon, allowing it to grow stronger with each enemy it fells. They use modules filled with trapped souls to increase their rifles’ fire rates and inflict targets with putrid bleeding wounds. The Scorn have dragged giant demonic beasts into this dimension and imprisoned them within massive habitats, harnessing their immense power to propel their forces through space like starships. There is no end to how the Scorn will pervert these souls into implements of destruction.

I'd like to thank STS on this small hint on their use as now it'll set some guidelines for later stories.

Yeah, its cool that STS gave us a glimpse of how Scorn Tech works. Of course, it'll be a pain to figure out how to work straight up magic into a sci-fi story. I might have to take a fair bit of creative license working this in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder:778130

Yeah, its cool that STS gave us a glimpse of how Scorn Tech works. Of course, it'll be a pain to figure out how to work straight up magic into a sci-fi story. I might have to take a fair bit of creative license working this in.
    I'm sure we'll be able to think of something for that. Star Wars did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Very nice !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Glad you liked it! Don't forget that you can always make a story of your own or help make history. If you want a character in one, Battlegrinder is still taking names for his book.
    Just don't go and blow up Blackstar if you make one though ok? I can't stand paradoxes and contradicting stories!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Ok, after some biology consulting, Googling, trips to Yahoo answers, and an hour or so running around in game taking notes, I've completed the write-up on the Vular. This is the updated version, Cahaun has the original version posted on the next page.

VULAR

History:

The Vular were first encountered by the current galactic powers in 2200, when the mining colony Alpha Five inadvertently unsealed a dormant Vular hive. The colony was wiped out, along with near 75% of the UC relief force sent to investigate. After the fiasco, the UC reorganized, redesigning its organization to better defeat any future incursions. The UC's preparations were put to the test sixty years later, when dozens of Hives became active across the frontier, and scores of colonies were under siege. Fortunately, the UC was able to repel the incursions, and destroy the infestations.

In the modern age, the Vular remain dangerous, especial to smaller, poorly defended colonies. Due to a the particulars of Vular biology and the large garrisons of militia personal, Vular are rarely able to establish a presence on larger planetary colonies, having more success on moons or asteroids.

Origins:

The origin of the Vular species is unknown. Given they lack any method of space travel, aside from hitching rides on unsuspecting starships, it remains unknown how they have managed to seed hives on dozens of planets and asteroids. One common theory is that they once possessed the means to travel among the stars, but somehow lost the ability to do so. Another theory, supported by a number of military personal, is that the Vular are/where biological weapons of some kind, set up in hives as a defense to prevent intruders from setting up colonies in certain regions, or used to wipe out an enemy of some kind, then abandoned once their mission was complete. There are other theories, ranging from the Vular being created by terrorists, and the inevitable accusation that they were created by any number of alleged conspiracies or secret organizations.

General Biology:

The Vular are widely believed to be insectoid in nature, and their appearance and the various names of the different Vular forms support this perception. However, the Vular are actually warm blooded mammals, though given the number of traits they share with other forms of life, the misperception is quite understandable. The Vular are also thought by many to be sentient, but a number of research projects and evidence from the field have established that they are not. However, they are remarkably intelligent, and are quite adapt at hunting even well-armed opponents, instinctively hiding until they can emerge and overrun defenders. Perhaps their most dangerous trait is that any Vular, from a simple drone to a mighty tank, can metamorphosis into a queen, letting a Vular swarm arise anywhere the Vular have established a foothold.

Most Vular share a number of common traits. They possess both an endoskeleton and an exoskeleton, and have muscles much stronger and denser than most creatures. Their mouths are circular, which makes the resulting concave bite wounds very difficult to treat. Vular claws are also oddly shaped and leave hard to close puncture wounds. They have poor to no hearing, and appear to lack a sense of smell. They see in infrared, and their blood is toxic to most life. Bizarrely, Vular blood also has a number of addictive properties. They also have a number of redundant organs, which coupled with their twin skeletons makes them far more resistant to injury then would be apparent. Given the bizarre mix of traits possessed by the Vular, and how incredibly dangerous they have proven to be, one can see why some believe them to be unnaturally created.

Vular Subtypes:

The Vular are a species with a number of distinctive forms, much like Earth ants or Alterran wasps.

Drones are the most common form, and compose around 90% of the average hive. They stand about half a meter tall, and are fully a meter long from head to tall, and mass in at almost 135 pounds. They are semi- quadrupedal, normal walking on four legs. However, when they encounter a threat, they will use their forelegs to attack. They are remarkable tough for a creature of their size, capable of shrugging off moderate amounts of gunfire. Their thick carapace is almost immune to handgun rounds, and rifles can have a tough time punching through. They have two hearts and a pair of lungs, though they only need one of each for a creature of their size. Their redundant organs make them much harder to kill, and since if one lung or heart is destroyed, they have a backup. However, they are not very nimble, as their exoskeleton limits their movement.

Soldiers are the only other Vular form to be commonly encountered, and they make up around 9% of the average hive. They are two meters tall and a little more than three meters long. They share the same semi-quadrupedal walking style and redundant organs of drones, and in fact they often behave like oversized drones. Given their greater size, they are naturally much tougher than drones. Their carapace is fully immune to most pistol rounds, and even high powered rifle rounds will only break through once out of every three or four hits. They have much longer claws that drones (Soldier claws are about half a meter long, Drone claws are about six inches), and can bite through grade three body armor with ease. However, they have very poor mobility, due to their sheer mass. Soldiers are of only marginal effectiveness at normal gravity, and accounted for only a fraction of UC losses during the 2260 infestations. Soldiers are much more effective in spaceborne low-gravity environments, or in tight spaces where they can use their increased size to prevent enemies from out-maneuvering them.

Vular Tanks are extremely rare. They are massive creatures, perhaps a meter and a half tall and four meters long, but weighting more than a ton and a half. They have no apparent sense of sight (lacking even the thermal vision most of their kin possess), and instead use some form of echolocation to find targets. Their massive claws are extremely sharp, and are coupled with muscles strong enough to let them cleave through even the heaviest body armor. An extremely thick exoskeleton makes them virtually indestructible, with only heavy weapons having a chance to punch through. They are not found on planets, as they would be crushed under their own weight if subjected to normal gravity. They can only grow in low gravity environments.

Vular queens are the rarest of all, with only one or two per hive. They are visually similar to Soldiers, with only the color pattern on their carapaces telling them apart. However, queens have many biological differences. While they share their massive, scythe-like claw with Soldiers, the muscles behind those claws are weaker, with field reports saying that the queen's claws are only useful as blunt weapons, and the queens cannot effectively employ them as cutting weapons. Queens also have a much thinner carapace, and lack the redundant organs of other Vular subtypes. The reason for all of these changes is to make room for the queen's reproductive and egg-laying systems. Queens are not very deadly combatants by Vular standards, but are almost always located within the heart of the Vular hatchery, and are thus surrounded by dozens of drones (which would normally be tending to the eggs, but should an intruder enter the egg chambers, will attack with as much ferocity as the rest of their kind).

There are other forms of Vular rumored to exist, though little evidence supports such rumors. Rumors of human looking Vular called Sirens that sneak up and ambush their prey, massive wormlike leviathans that can crush tanks and swallow men whole, invisible creatures called stalkers, and other rumors even more fantastic. It need not be said that most biologists do not buy into such rumors, and no physical evidence has yet to surface to support claims of their existence.

Vular Behavior:

Vular exhibit a number of unusual behaviors. Much of the information regarding their behavior comes from combat recordings, as research studies focusing on Vular are extremely dangerous and rarely successful.

All Vular are extremely aggressive, and will usually attack non-Vular on sight. They have an instinctive understanding of combat, to the point that newborn drones have been observed to use tactics like flanking and diversionary attacks. Vular are also disturbingly good at threat assessment, easily picking out the most dangerous members of a military formation and targeting those individuals. They have also been observed to target medical personal and officers, even when other soldiers are more vulnerable. Finally, the Vular are terrifyingly skilled at circumventing body armor, having been seen to stab through joints and pry off helmets instead of randomly stabbing and slashing like most creatures.

The Vular also demonstrate a strong understanding of biology. Vular drones and Soldiers will instinctively target the major blood vessels and vital organs of their prey (and have been observed to tailor their attacks based on which one they are going for, using slashes against blood vessels, and stabbing at organs), and are even known to use different tactics against different species. Leading biologists have suggested that the Vular use their thermal vision to locate key organs and veins, which is a plausible and even likely theory. However, the Vular do not appear to possess the reasoning ability to realize that targeting the vital organs will be more effective than randomly stabbing a victim, or that a slash across the throat will be more deadly than one across the torso.

Vular frequently engage in sharpening behavior, scratching their claws against hard surfaces to make them more lethal. Deep gouges and scratches in rocks are a tell-tale sign that Vular are active nearby.

Vular Soldiers and Drones display a noticeable reluctance to attack when confronted by flamethrowers. As they don't exhibit any other fear of fire, researchers do not believe this is a sign that they recognize the danger of fire. Rather, they believe that since the Vular see in the thermal vision, the Vular perceive flamethrowers as part of the person holding it. Thus, the Vular see a normal, human sized target, which frequently grows several times its size, every time they get near it. As a result, they avoid engaging. Vular Tanks are not deterred by flamethrowers, as they use a different sensory system then other Vular, and Vular will still attack flamethrower wield infantry (but they will usually attack other personal in the area first).

Despite lacking any way to perceive it, Vular are bizarrely fond of lurking in dark spaces. In fact, Vular excel at sneaking about, in spite of the fact that their sensory organs are not capable of detecting darkness. Some biologists believe that Vular must possess some form of light detection, as they cannot imagine any other way the Vular would be so adapt at find dark, hidden spaces to lurk in. However, no trace of such an ability has yet to be found. As Vular do not noticeable react to light sources (like the flashlights of military forces), this theory is not given much credence by most experts in the field.

Despite almost supernatural sense in some regards, like the aforementioned ability to find hidden spaces to lurk in, the Vular can also be incredibly oblivious to nearby threats. Their poor hearing has frequently allowed military forces to ambush concentrations of Vular one at a time, without attracting attention of nearby Vular.
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-05-2013 at 02:00 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Battlegrinder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

So now Star Legends is a science fantasy?

By the way, I love the LORE! great job!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    So now Star Legends is a science fantasy?

By the way, I love the LORE! great job!
    I assume you are talking about the Scorn stuff when saying SL is technically science fantasy. SL is science fantasy to the same degree Star War is science fantasy. It has some fantasy elements, but is mostly sci-fi.
    *Incoming Nerd Speech*
    Keeping in mind that the stuff we hear about the Scorn has to come from some in-universe source (likely the UC, from the tone of the writing), we have to take whatever it says with a grain of salt, as everything we hear from either side likely has a degree of bias built into it. After all, you don't take anything said by political candidates at face value, do you? Given that the UC and Scorn are at war, there is bound to be a degree of exaggeration and demonizing (no pun intended) when it comes to descriptions of the other side. The UC could say "The Scorn have a lot of technology that we don't understand" or they could say "The Scorn are using demons in their technology! They are horribly evil, we must destroy them!". Which statement is more likely to get you support for the UC war effort?
    *End Nerd Lecture*

Thanks for the complement on the Lore. Cahaun's done a lot of great work, as have a few other people who've contributed to the Lore section. I may have enjoyed writing the Data Files, but it was a lot of effort.