Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warrior Guide O' Hurs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Warrior Guide O' Hurs

Hello everyone, my name is Hurs and today we are going to be talking about a class that is dearly loved by me... the Enchantress. When you hear the name of the class, you might assume that you will be playing as an Elf... which you will be. The Elves are a rather frisky bunch who--- Whoops! Wrong intro...

Anyway, today we are going to be discussing the Warrior class. This is a class that can be quite hard to play, and also quite easy to play depending on what role you want to fill. Before you begin on your journey, make sure that you are fine with looking at bear butt as this could be problematic later on.

Why play the Warrior?

Based on the latest patch (4/19/10):

The Warrior class is in much better shape than it was before this patch. We received some much needed improvements to our spells as you will see later on in the guide and both of our roles were improved (DPS and tanking). The Warrior now fits nicely with the other classes and is now playable to people who wouldn't normally have played it.

Class Roles

The Warrior really only offers up two class roles, as opposed to the Enchantress who offers three. These two roles are as follows: the tank and the 2H DPS. Keep in mind that you will probably see a lot of the latter form of the Warrior class, that is, people will run around with the 2H sword because it looks cool. While in my previous guide I stated that the person with the coolest looking weapon gets the ladies... well... that doesn't apply in this guide. Just forget it.

List of Spells

This bit is pretty simple... no room for being witty.

Level 2: Vengeful Slash (Slash your enemies for extra damage!) Cost 10. +Damage, +Knock-back per rank.
    Level 4: Stomp (Blast enemies away from you in all directions!) Cost 20. +Damage, +Knock-back per rank.
    Level 6: Taunt (Pull enemies away from your friends!) Cost 25. +Dodge chance per rank.
    Level 8: Crippling Slash (Keep enemies from running away!) Cost 15. +5 Damage per rank.
    Level 10: Rage (Do much more critical-hit damage to targets!) Cost 50. +1 Damage and +10Crit. per rank.
    Level 12: Super Mega Slash (A massive knock-back strike!) Cost 15. +Damage, +2 Knock-back, per rank.
    Level 14: Crushing Blow (Crush your enemy's ability to do damage!) Cost 20. Reduce Target damage -10 per rank.
    Level 16: Restore (Increase your health regeneration!) Cos 20. Regen +4 for 5 sec. +10 heal per rank.
    Level 18: Iron Blood (Extra armour protection!) Cost 30. +4 Armour per rank.
    Level 20: Hell Scream (Terrify your enemies and sap their will to fight!) Cost 25. Reduce target damage -10 per rank.
    Level 22: Evade (Increase dodge chance for 20 sec.) +5% dodge chance per rank.
    Level 24: Beckon (Pull enemies toward your position) Increase rank to pull more monsters.

These spells can be broken up into two distinct roles:

Tank:

Level 4: Stomp (Blast enemies away from you in all directions!) Cost 20. +Damage, +Knock-back per rank.
    Level 6: Taunt (Pull enemies away from your friends!) Cost 25. +Dodge chance per rank.
    Level 18: Iron Blood (Extra armour protection!) Cost 30. +4 Armour per rank.
    Level 20: Hell Scream (Terrify your enemies and sap their will to fight!) Cost 25. Reduce target damage -10 per rank.
    Level 22: Evade (Increase dodge chance for 20 sec.) +5% dodge chance per rank.
    Level 24: Beckon (Pull enemies toward your position) Increase rank to pull more monsters.

2H DPS:

Level 2: Vengeful Slash (Slash your enemies for extra damage!) Cost 10. +Damage, +Knock-back per rank.
    Level 8: Crippling Slash (Keep enemies from running away!) Cost 15. +5 Damage per rank.
    Level 10: Rage (Do much more critical-hit damage to targets!) Cost 50. +1 Damage and +10Crit. per rank.
    Level 12: Super Mega Slash (A massive knock-back strike!) Cost 15. +Damage, +2 Knock-back, per rank.

Now I know you all are eager to question the decision of putting "Crippling Slash" into the DPS build. But, if we look closely, we see that it adds +5 damage per rank as opposed to the + damage that the other slashes boast. Now this may just be speculation, but I consider the + damage on the other skills to mean + 1 damage as opposed to +5. Someone can either confirm or deny this, but Crippling Slash does have the potential to deal the most damage out of all of the slashes.

Other:

For any of you observant folk, you probably noticed the two spells that didn't make it into either category:

Level 14: Crushing Blow (Crush your enemy's ability to do damage!) Cost 20. Reduce target damage -10 per rank.
    Level 16: Restore (Increase your health regeneration!) Cos 20. Regen +4 for 5 sec. +10 heal per rank.

And it is probably fairly obvious to see why. Crushing Blow is a single target damage reduction spell that gets outclassed by Hell Scream. Restore is a health regeneration ability that doesn't really work too well in-combat (at least pre-patch) and is a waste of points.

NOTE:

The new patch added some stuff to our spells:

- Warrior 'Slash' abilities do a lot more damage.
    - Warrior 'Rage' self-buff yields a higher DPS during the buff period.
    - Warrior 'Iron Blood' provides more armor (but has a longer cool-down).
    - Knock-back effects for the 'Mega Slash' have been reduced considerably.
    - A chance to 'Stun' targets has been added to 'Stomp,' 'Hellscream' and 'Mega Slash.' Chance to stun targets increases with increased skill ranks.

Stat Allocation:

As far as attributes go, this is a good stat build for both roles:

This gives you a very well-built Warrior with both high health (relatively speaking) and a good hit and crit percentage. Here is the skill point spread for tanks:

The skills are pretty self-explanatory. Stomp is used for AoE aggro generation, Super Mega Slash for single target aggro. Iron Blood is my panic button (bumps armour to 122) and Hell Scream provides a nice AoE debuff that lowers the damage of all nearby enemies. Evade is another nice panic button that gives you +25%. Beckon, in my opinion, is a requirement for tanking. It allows you to gather up the mobs in a nice, tight pack which will make both your Archers and Enchantresses happy. Beckon can also be used as a way of pulling mobs off of your healers/dps.

The Equipment/Gear:

Alright, I am going to make this short and sweet (DEAR GOD, THANK YOU!) and start off with splitting the roles:

Tank: Armour, armour and more armour! Not armor... but armour. Make sure that you have a good armour count before focusing on adding in benefits such as H/s (health per second) and strength. Luckily, most of the gear with high armour has that kind of stuff on it anyway. As for weapons... there is an axe out there called the "Spiked Axe of Power" or something of that nature, that adds +2 to your armour count. That is about all it has going. I would really recommend grabbing a Flaming Sword of Blood or another high DPS weapon that offers the stats you want.

2H DPS: Dexterity, dexterity and more dexterity! While this may seem odd, Dexterity does add to your DPS, crit, hit, and dodge. Those are all very hand to have when you are trying to smack people. Unfortunately most Warrior gear has +Str on it, which wouldn't be a bad thing if it added damage. Anyway, just keep your eyes out for any chance of a dexterity bonus but don't be disappointed if you can't find the perfect armour piece. In terms of weapons, obviously use a 2H weapon that has a stat spread that you like and that provides high DPS. The level 30 2H of choice (or so I have seen) appears to be the Ruby Sword of Blood.

P.S: I lied about the short and sweet thing.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed the guide and thanks for reading ^_^

UPDATES:

4/20/10: Rewrote the "Why play the Warrior?" section.
    Last edited by Hurs; 04-20-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Goregrind - Warrior - Alterra
    Venom Guild
    http://venom.forumn.net/index.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very nice guide. Do you know if beckon has any significant advantages over taunt?
    Deathshock: Level 30 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

suggestions for guide

1) remove pre patch post patch etc. Just say this guide is updated on xxx date for Content Update (yyyy)
    2) Give feedback on skills what do they do, is it aoe, (yes, people are dumb) and how useful the skill is, when would you use it
    3) post what the stats do. eg, 2 str = 1 hp, and how many str = 1h/s. is getting 16 int for 1m/s worth it or not, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Alrighty, will look at it again once I get home ^_^
    Venom Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

either of you notice beckon does damage and slight chance of stun? or is it just me?
    Gankenstein Nyk(retired) - Archer - Alterra Realm
    Guild Member of Venom
    Guild Website - venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive got both.. its nice to have 2 taunts.
    generally taunt is more of a dodge buff for me and i use it as i engage a boss.

as i mentioned before: i think beckon does some damage as well as stuns

another interesting thing that seems to work for me (when grouping with fools that don't wait for the tank to engage before going balls out on dps) is stomp, beckon , stomp ... ping pong the boss around. its pretty funny too when you see it
    Gankenstein Nyk(retired) - Archer - Alterra Realm
    Guild Member of Venom
    Guild Website - venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nathanyc View Post
    ive got both.. its nice to have 2 taunts.
    generally taunt is more of a dodge buff for me and i use it as i engage a boss.

as i mentioned before: i think beckon does some damage as well as stuns

another interesting thing that seems to work for me (when grouping with fools that don't wait for the tank to engage before going balls out on dps) is stomp, beckon , stomp ... ping pong the boss around. its pretty funny too when you see it
    But in terms of the ability to aggro and hold aggro does beckon have any advantage over taunt. Because if it doesn't taunt is a much better skill in my opinion because of the dodge it gives. Beckon only does damage when it stuns a monster.
    Deathshock: Level 30 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a problem with you portraying Post update Warriors as " Wow Overpowered "
    This is A key way to start a bandwagon which in turn will lead to a nerf.

Warriors aren't overpowered, they just have had a considerate update which is very noticeable now due to their inability to do Anything previously.
    The update on a whole Turned us into what we are suppose to be, Tanks.
    This does not mean we are suddenly Overpowered, and as far as Damage goes, Archers still put out up to 2x more damage ( Crits & Range inc ) While Enchantresses do the best AoE & Healing.

The Classes Now are Very Balanced, all thats needed is a few tweaks here and there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathshock View Post
    But in terms of the ability to aggro and hold aggro does beckon have any advantage over taunt. Because if it doesn't taunt is a much better skill in my opinion because of the dodge it gives. Beckon only does damage when it stuns a monster.
    Taunt is primarily a skill Most Warriors use for the added Dodge bonus now, its ability to actually Aggro the monsters and bring them to you is mediocre at best and they wont stay with you for long if you only use taunt & Stomp.

Beckon however is a Forced Taunt, and the added stun means you can hold them with you which in effect is what Taunt Should do but currently doesnt.

My Skill order before Going in is Evade > Taunt > Beckon > Stomp ( This will Easily get initial Aggro to put out 2-3 Additional Stomps while having a Good Dodge % )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hurs you needa settle down with all these guides. next your going to make a guide about making guides.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with iNFaMous...please don't state at the top of your guide that warriors are overpowered. Not true and I don't want to see an immediate nerf of my actual usefulness now.

That being said, good post and good info on the warrior class!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iNFaMous View Post
    I have a problem with you portraying Post update Warriors as " Wow Overpowered "

Warriors aren't overpowered, they just have had a considerate update which is very noticeable now due to their inability to do Anything previously.
    This does not mean we are suddenly Overpowered, and as far as Damage goes, Archers still put out up to 2x more damage ( Crits & Range inc ) While Enchantresses do the best AoE & Healing.

The Classes Now are Very Balanced, all thats needed is a few tweaks here and there.
    Trust me, I don't want a bandwagon of Warriors, a point that I made pretty clear in my other thread in General Discussion. The reason why I put it like that is because that is the way that a lot of people are perceiving the class right now. I am about to change that section anyway ^_^
    Venom Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just as awesome as your Enchantress guide. Keep up the good work dawg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think huts is right, warriors are a little to strong now. The only reason for this though is how little damage warriors take. My level 22 is already tanking lost expedition with ease... And Hurs doesn't even need heals half the time when we play, almost none at all. Any class that can solo a full lost expedition map with 10 health pots is to strong in my opinion. Really though, it's only the armor that's making warriors too beefy. the game makes it so a warrior goes from taking 30 damage to taking 2 damage within 5 armor points.

Lastly the classes aren't really balance until enchantress gets the same attention warriors just got.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Keep in mind though, Az, that a new campaign is on the horizon ^_^ Hopefully they will beef up the campaign with harder enemies and better loot drops instead of constantly juggling three glass balls.
    Venom Guild

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good updates to the guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I think huts is right, warriors are a little to strong now. The only reason for this though is how little damage warriors take. My level 22 is already tanking lost expedition with ease... And Hurs doesn't even need heals half the time when we play, almost none at all. Any class that can solo a full lost expedition map with 10 health pots is to strong in my opinion. Really though, it's only the armor that's making warriors too beefy. the game makes it so a warrior goes from taking 30 damage to taking 2 damage within 5 armor points.

Lastly the classes aren't really balance until enchantress gets the same attention warriors just got.
    Warriors =/= Taking little damage
    This is what we do, we take less damage while sacrificing our attack.
    If it were an Archer or Enchantress running through Lost Expedition with Ease there is obviously a problem. But Warriors are suppose to survive, thus they can go to higher places earlier.

In reverse to this statement, My lvl 30 Warrior has still taken 300+ Crits with Evade / Taunt Dodge buffs Aswell as Iron blood on.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My lvl 28 Warrior got one-shotted in Lost Expedition by one of the bosses. And that was with 5 points of Iron Blood active! I still die occasionally, now it's just a lot less than before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im still using 20 potions when grouped in Lost Expedition. The reason I am consuming so many is I am getting very good at trying to keep agro on me at all times. The reason Im using so much health is because the bosses are actually attacking me. You want to talk about nerfing? There really is no reason a warrior should be involved in boss fights because of the damage the bosses do. Its best to keep them rooted by archer or enchanter the whole time. Essentially, Warrior is useless most of the time. Game needs some serious balancing because groups can easily destroy any dungeon without a tank. Most MMORPG's require a class to soak the damage, or the dungeon crawl wouldn't be effecient enough to go for or give them a reason to wait for a tank. Is there any reason a group would actually wait for a tank? or find a game with a tank? I don't think so. Im sick of everyone comparing classes due to their Solo ability. If the game was balanced, there wouldn't be a good reason to solo anywhere. It should be less effective then grouping. It isn't....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Warriors =/= Taking little damage
    This is what we do, we take less damage while sacrificing our attack.
    If it were an Archer or Enchantress running through Lost Expedition with Ease there is obviously a problem. But Warriors are suppose to survive, thus they can go to higher places earlier.

In reverse to this statement, My lvl 30 Warrior has still taken 300+ Crits with Evade / Taunt Dodge buffs Aswell as Iron blood on.
    Taking the random huge crit happens, but it is very rare. Second off, there is no balance to the damage system atm. My warrior consistently takes around 2-5 damage or 0 damage, or they just miss, fromt he majority of mobs in LE. Obviously warriors should take less damage, but it should be consistent. It should be that warriors take almost no damage all the time, then randomly get 1 shotted by a boss and his friends from out of no where.
    I realize that you have been defending warriors from undue "over powered" criticism, but the the damage armor and stat system is still flawed. Obviously new expansions will come out and the game will always be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyChaos View Post
    Im still using 20 potions when grouped in Lost Expedition. The reason I am consuming so many is I am getting very good at trying to keep agro on me at all times. The reason Im using so much health is because the bosses are actually attacking me. You want to talk about nerfing? There really is no reason a warrior should be involved in boss fights because of the damage the bosses do. Its best to keep them rooted by archer or enchanter the whole time. Essentially, Warrior is useless most of the time. Game needs some serious balancing because groups can easily destroy any dungeon without a tank. Most MMORPG's require a class to soak the damage, or the dungeon crawl wouldn't be effecient enough to go for or give them a reason to wait for a tank. Is there any reason a group would actually wait for a tank? or find a game with a tank? I don't think so. Im sick of everyone comparing classes due to their Solo ability. If the game was balanced, there wouldn't be a good reason to solo anywhere. It should be less effective then grouping. It isn't....

Warriors are in no way useless as icychaos is trying to imply, and in a boss fight a warriors jobs is to tank the boss and maybe 2 other mobs, but not every single mob in the room. First off you should clear it out a bit first and second your party should be helping you. Tactics are still required for this game. Secondly the enchantress heal was buffed so they should be helping you, though many chanters have all but given up on hardcore healing atm.

This game will improve with time, but making exaggerated claims either on the side of a class being to weak or to strong doesn't help anything. The reality is that we are quite literally beta testing this game in many respects. Give it time, play through things multiple times and in many ways, really think about your builds and your in game experiences, and try to be as honest and unbiased as you can when evaluating problems. Thats how we get a fun game.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net