Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***PEW-PEW!! A Comprehensive Analysis of Dexterity (Dex) Sets: AO3 to Humania***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Well done once again... The thing that is biggest disappointment with birds is that tbh talons have been worthless since shadow. We got the custom that was basically only good for living through the murderbear days in sewer. The daggers and to a much lesser degree shanks can be fun but a bird really needs range. Would be nice to see the return of the talon. And please don't count the angel set...
    Just my 2 plat

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    So would I - I'd actually support reducing dodge in favor of more armor and dodge. I don't support stacking dodge or crit and would support a consistent amount of it between the gear.

Ideally:
    - Birds have a fairly consistent damage, even when unbuffed (+5% crit per focus point) versus say mage (+10% crit and +5 damage per point in blessings); which means that they are not as buff dependent (mages more or less double their damage buffed)
    - Low dodge means that player skill will play an important part, but the high damage will allow truly good players to shine (in other words, a dex bird will be a build that will require a lot of skill to play to it's potential, especially in PvE); I imagine that the newer generation of players won't like this one, although on the upside, with my suggested reform, damage will be relatively consistent (important for potion usage in PvE and restoration timing in PvP)
    - The Physiologic style will be optimal for play
    - Potion usage will remain fairly high absent of a bear, especially for hp; with a bear, it should be low to moderate; mana potions will be a must in PvE; again see Physiologic's old videos from the sewers era
    - Birds have a total excess of hit %; there does not appear to be a benefit in PvE, except in the few cases where debuffs go out; in PvP though it is much more essential; I don't think this needs to be changed
    - Birds will have a moderate degree of health regeneration as well; which should be useful in PvP and could ease potion usage in long walks in PvE, but in tight dungeons will still need health potion usage

The other is that crafting sets should be clearly superior to the uncrafted, but not so much that they trump all skill. The differences shouldn't be too big.

All of this would make what is pretty consistent with bird lore. It won't be a build for everyone though - newer players in high end dungeons will find that a dex - str mix will probably be best until they adapt. I doubt that given the direction that STS has turned that they will listen, but if they did, I imagine that many players would complain or respec to warbird for PvE. Many mages became pallys when Nuri first came out (before the nerfs) and many have stayed that way (although I would argue that overall in terms of survivability and damage, the 70 str set is overall vastly superior to the 70 int set).

A final problem consideration is that there should be easy to get sets that are almost as good as the pinks (consider Bagmans vs Raid Roach for PvE and for PvP, Drainers vs Raid Roach/Custom) that are common drops and should sell for no more than 1,000 gold. Player skill not gear should be the deciding factor in performance. Merchants who game the auction house might be able to get the best pinks and craft them, but if they don't have skill, they will be VASTLY outperformed by people in cheap blues who spent their time farming and maximizing their skills rather than playing the AH.

Expected results? To begin with, the majority of bird players will probably spec warbird. Dex bird would not a forgiving build, but one that if learned properly allows for much faster, smoother runs. PvP wise, there needs to be a general nerf in the dodge of all classes.

Admittedly perhaps all of this is moot. I haven't been on much in 6 months. The times I logged on, I was just shocked at how much people are using elixirs. There are people who have spent in excess of $5,000 USD on plat. Elixir usage - not gear these days decides performance.
    I agree on all points, especially bring back the Physioglogic game play. I learned on this style and it is rarely seen anymore. But as you said, and Kraze ^^ will agree, elixirs have ruined many playstyles and mechanics. Much more warbirds and pallies because people are afraid to die and are so use to elixirs, can't play as a pure bird/mage.

And I think the most important point is that crafted sets should easily outweigh all other gear at the specified level. I remember in Nuri's pvping a demonic warbird while I had a glyph xbow set. I got beat but was a lot closer than it should have been and he was not a "noob" at bird.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Elixir=evil nuff said
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I agree on all points, especially bring back the Physioglogic game play. I learned on this style and it is rarely seen anymore. But as you said, and Kraze ^^ will agree, elixirs have ruined many playstyles and mechanics. Much more warbirds and pallies because people are afraid to die and are so use to elixirs, can't play as a pure bird/mage.

And I think the most important point is that crafted sets should easily outweigh all other gear at the specified level. I remember in Nuri's pvping a demonic warbird while I had a glyph xbow set. I got beat but was a lot closer than it should have been and he was not a "noob" at bird.
    Actually I've come to a far more radical conclusion. PvE balance because of elixir usage no longer matters that much. All gear should be balanced around PvP because there is no elixir usage. Fortunately everything said above would make for an effective PvP bird ... at least in skilled hands anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

As always it was a great read and very informative bro! looking forward to the Int version

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TANKKAAR For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    As always it was a great read and very informative bro! looking forward to the Int version
    I don't know of I can handle the INT version. Mages can be.... vicious. lol

Thanks bro!
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Ironically elixirs are most effective with dps builds. Pure dex bird/bear, or pure int mage. The reason is because you have 3x armor. That means you can more or less ignore most mechanics. You may suffer the occasional death, but in terms of how fast you can kill - sustained damage trumps all.

That said, I have seen players who have played so poorly that I have outperformed them with the 4x combo elixir dps-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Wow...hope I'm not THAT bad, lol

This is Bramer - signing out
    Let's make kids

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good guide but I am the only ones who notices there's no talon dagger wing sets on here? That's what I prefer to use on my bird. You forgot the void talon set, death talon set,custom talon set,glyph dagger, sanguine dagger. Aren't talon and wing sets better then a bow? The void talon set has higher dps,dodge,and armor than the void blaster or bow set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobfredd View Post
    Good guide but I am the only ones who notices there's no talon dagger wing sets on here? That's what I prefer to use on my bird. You forgot the void talon set, death talon set,custom talon set,glyph dagger, sanguine dagger. Aren't talon and wing sets better then a bow? The void talon set has higher dps,dodge,and armor than the void blaster or bow set.
    If you read the entire OP, you would know why I did not include talons/daggers. Yes, they exist to help with survivability, but they do not do as much damage as bows. Bows do way more base damage (more important than dps) and have vastly greater skill damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

First name greatest last name....ever

Rauekat-lvl 71 bird, Rauekit-lvl 68 bear, Rauekot-lvl 43 mage, Rauekatjr lvl 15 bird! Proud recruiter of "The Elite"! Soon to be officer I hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Default ***PEW-PEW!! A Comprehensive Analysis of Dexterity (Dex) Sets: AO3 to Humania***

Pvp = Sand set
    Pve = Tiki

A bunch of tiki sets its much faster to kill elite boss with than using sand. Much faster than what u all THINK!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you read the entire OP, you would know why I did not include talons/daggers. Yes, they exist to help with survivability, but they do not do as much damage as bows. Bows do way more base damage (more important than dps) and have vastly greater skill damage.
    Ok thanks Ima start using bows now
    Oh and do u think u can add the sewer king set and glyph set?
    Last edited by bobfredd; 08-07-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hi. I decided to use only angel set. If I got and it's good so why not use? For yeti in pve is the best. I've seen many archers dying using bows. And yes, many people started using elixirs for that reason.
    <Polish Legends Facebook>
    PL: Gibol, Gibolek, Gibolmag, Gibolol, Gibololo, GibolRanger
    AL: Gibol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gibol1412 View Post
    Hi. I decided to use only angel set. If I got and it's good so why not use? For yeti in pve is the best. I've seen many archers dying using bows. And yes, many people started using elixirs for that reason.
    I think it's more like this... It's because of elixers that people forgot how to play their classes right.

Bow birds were always fairly squishy, but can definitely finish all humania maps without dying once, and without any elix.

I did unpotted group runs on my bird recently, and have to admit it took me a while before I got used to it again. Elix makes you forget how to play your class right because you can simply button mash and spearhead through the maps without any strategy whatsoever.

Sigh... I miss the pre-elix days.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I think it's more like this... It's because of elixers that people forgot how to play their classes right.

Bow birds were always fairly squishy, but can definitely finish all humania maps without dying once, and without any elix.

I did unpotted group runs on my bird recently, and have to admit it took me a while before I got used to it again. Elix makes you forget how to play your class right because you can simply button mash and spearhead through the maps without any strategy whatsoever.

Sigh... I miss the pre-elix days.
    I agree with all. "Technique makes master"
    <Polish Legends Facebook>
    PL: Gibol, Gibolek, Gibolmag, Gibolol, Gibololo, GibolRanger
    AL: Gibol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post

Truth. Playing without any elixir stacking, you have to watch your spacing, where the mobs are grouping, keep hitting your health pots at the right time and time your skills properly too. You also have to be aware of what your party is doing and where each of them are to maximize your effectiveness and minimize being left exposed to Yeti-fire. Much more interesting.

They have maps that prohibit use of pots, maybe make one that dont allow Elxiirs? I guess that wont make money for STS.
    EdtheEagle - Lvl 76 bird a.k.a. "Yeti fodder".
    Curiositee - Lvl 76 mage a.k.a. farmer alt
    Edthe Rhino - Lvl 76 Rhino / Gold Mule ha ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Again, a great topic for discussion. Well done.

I prepared a stats table as it is much easier to compare this way

I added a row "Damage Output including Critical". This takes into account the effect of critical hits on the total damage output (I was curious to know after reading this).
    Row "Skill Damage Output including Critical" is similar but with Skill damage.

If A the average damage, with A = (Damage Low + Damage High)/2, then if we hit 100 times we get:

total damage (100 hits) = 2 x A x Crit + A x (100 - Crit) = A x (100 + Crit)

If we then divide this number by 100, we obtain an average damage stat which includes the effect of crit. It is interesting to compare this stat against the base damage stats (Low/High). Some findings:

• Sand Skipper's marginally better crit does not compensate for its inferrior damage stats, although the difference is minimal.
    • If Sand Skipper's Crit advantage over Tiki's was +2 instead of +1, Sand Skipper's set would give better Skill Damage Output incl. Crit (764), although its Damage Output incl. Crit would still be less than Tiki's (534).
    • If Sand Skipper's Crit advantage over Tiki's was +3 instead of +1, Sand Skipper's set would have the upper hand in terms of damage. In this case, Damage Output incl. Crit = 537 and Skill Damage Output incl. Crit = 769.

My personal view on the sets: I, too, am a fan of Physiologic's style of play. That's why I use Str Helm/Armor + Bow to obtain high dodge so that I can be more active during the run. The defensive bonus given by Sand Skipper's tempts me to respec to full dex as it encourages a more daring approach

Hope this is useful for the discussion and please correct me if there is a mistake/oversight somewhere.
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

This is great brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin! With your permission, I will add it to the OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Yeah man, do whatever you want with it
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!