Thread: Pvp in a nut shell

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Pvp in a nut shell

when the damage is extremely high, when range is huge. it begins to create situations where you're getting hit by something thats unreactable and unescapable. youre a human being that has to process what you're being hit by but what what happens when you cant? what do you do?

you either have to preemptively do things ahead of time or you want to avoid everything all together. which is why a lot of people dont pvp in the end.

i think the main reason why people dont pvp is due to counter play not existing. counter play use to exist a long time ago but things changed a lot since then.

keep in mind what im going to talk about took place at lvl 15-16-17

a good example of counter play i can use here is one of biggest meta shifts that ever took place in the game.

breeze vs "nekro aa rotation". these 2 actually defined the game at one point.

some another examples would be nekro aa vs toxy aa and glow aa vs curse.

the entire concept of pvp back then when you pan out wasn't heavily reliant on rng. it was about knowledge and gear. there was rng due to pet passives that stun,freeze,and paralyze and also the standard debuffs like reduce armor,reduce damage,reduce crit,reduce move speed etc.

fast forward into end game pvp today.

if you're powerful you might be able to take some extra hits before dying and youll be able to dish out big damage. completely nuking everything in your path. if you're weak you'll be one touched and sent to another dimension.

Things can get merky in clashes with high damage because now you're in a situation where big hits can overlap Evaporating you in less then a frame which is 16.66ms. which can be overwhelming. its very stressful playing under these conditions especially when you're trying to make sense of whats happening.

maps also play a massive roll in pvp.
    how big or small a map is can change the dynamic of the game completely.

this is because if a character has high damage in a small place it creates this sense of non stop action.

a example of this is you died then spawn and hit someone they die and spawn. then they hit you ...you die and spawn rinse wash repeat.

no one can react to no one who ever hits 1st wins. its like the game is telling players dont think just spam buttons.

the issue with this is when i look at things like charge skills. this type of meta completely contradicts charge being in the game. correct me if im wrong but end game pvp has always been a 1 hit fest right? at least from what i remember. how are you suppose to charge if your going to die in 1 or 2 hits?

"Rogues"
    this is why rogue for the most part for a long time was the go to. range, big damage, short cool downs that didnt really require you to charge skills.

a lot of players just mindlessly spammed their skills and felt justified to because so long as their damage was high they was rewarded for doing so.

in 1v1s
    if characters have high damage in a huge map. people will begin to play out of each others range. it becomes like a game of fencing. players begin to space each other out or run around the rock in tdm.

when you start to apply things like movespeed to the equation this can change everything. it doesn't matter how much space a place has. if your speed is 10fold you can cover a vast distance in a few mili seconds making a big map feel small. the same can be applied to pve. you also have to acc for client to server. you might see someone teleporting depending on how fast they move or how fast the system or they're client is.

Clashes
    so take a 5v5, 4v4,3v3 in arcane legends for example. the situations the clashes themselves create is a small contained space.

in 1v1 people can space each other out. the idea is you want to play out your opponents range. youre doing this to cause them to wiff skills or to wiff a stun. in doing so you take less damage but in a clash you dont really find these moments. thats because if you leave the clash for a moment you can be 1shot by everyone jumping onto you.

in the end pvp is never balanced in mmo Arpgs. so people shouldn't expect to much from pvp.

at the same time i have to look at pvp always being this bad as a positive. there's actually room for innovation in pvp and that is largely due to the mechanics being left untouched after all these years. if sts or another company figures out pvp in mmo Arpgs it could be a huge win for the genre as a whole.

i know the concept of a battle ground was tossed around but yeah we dont want that. although i do understand thats probably the most balanced pvp can be.

it makes me wonder what if there was another way?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Reduce all damage by 40% in PvP. Problem fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

The reason people don't PvP is due to awaken disparity between the players.

Aint no way you winning a duel against someone with OP awakes when you are using mediocre Awakes.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ploid View Post
    The reason people don't PvP is due to awaken disparity between the players.

Aint no way you winning a duel against someone with OP awakes when you are using mediocre Awakes.

Ye sadge but true and they say go honor when honor literally only rog vs rog but you want to play mage or war but definitely no chance winning against rogs : / pvp in a nut shell rn if only there's a new normal pvp where we can disable awake and just fight with raw gears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Advocacies View Post
    Ye sadge but true and they say go honor when honor literally only rog vs rog but you want to play mage or war but definitely no chance winning against rogs : / pvp in a nut shell rn if only there's a new normal pvp where we can disable awake and just fight with raw gears
    Honor isn't 1v1 tho. As long as you play good, you can win.

But honor is so slow. Hard to find matches. And not allowed to use pets we want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Brooo. Pvp was best before 2016.
    Thank you Spacetimestudios for being a part of my life.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fytheo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fytheo View Post
    Brooo. Pvp was best before 2016.
    True. I’m hoping that one day pvp will be coming back. Without the immense gap between player’s gear.

If awakens are not used in pvp I do think the game will be more active than before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Fight with all gears removed or finding a common gear? Battle royale has been suggested before. It helps even the odds making it easier to attack someone after they just finished a one versus one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

This is why competitive people don't pvp at endgame. It's been completely busted for multiple expansions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daogole View Post
    Fight with all gears removed or finding a common gear? Battle royale has been suggested before. It helps even the odds making it easier to attack someone after they just finished a one versus one.
    FFA sucks and boring if this happens rogs will always win we want a fair tdm where each class can deal dps against other class and not just like boring honor where u only see rog vs rog

Suggestions is normal tdm and disable awakes ezpz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It seems like the biggest problem is that there's not a critical mass of players who want to pvp at the same time. If the warrior and sorcerer attacks deal the same dps as a rogue, then you essentially still have rog vs rog. A couple ways around this might be:

1. having weighted matches. For example, if rogues are the best at pvp, followed by warrior, followed by sorcerer, then you say that rogues must get 5 kills to win, warriors must get 4 kills, sorcerers must get 3 kills.

2. locking in level caps. Is it really gear so much the issue, or could it be that over time the leveling system has made people give up? If pvp is better right before an expansion, this may be what is happening. To solve this, your stats could be locked in at whatever they are at level 81 (and only level 81 level armor or below allowed). Then by the time the expansion hits, level 81-85 would still enjoy competition with each other for a while. Then level 86 would be in a separate bracket.

3. Making bots who are also playing with you so that there are an even number of players or to make it feel more full.

4. Experimenting with new elements. This could mean changing the objective entirely. Team death match is more popular than capture the flag, but there are variations that might work. Examples would be king of the hill, oddball, or a counter strike situation where the terrorists must protect the bomb until it detonates while the opposing team must close in and disarm the bomb first.