Thread: What is the "best" dagger right now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is the "best" dagger right now?

I've got a desert dagger of osiris. Considering there is no isis, and not caring as much about crits as dodge, it's the best I've seen so far.

Are there any daggers that are better? Higher dps, better stats, etc...or am I now at the top of the food chain daggerwise until the next dungeon (hopefully)?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure Osiris (and Horus maybe - not sure) are the best daggers that currently drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got Horus as well, it's 6% crit/3% dodge. Osiris is the opposite with 6% dodge/3% crit. As I'm focused on dodge right now, I've swapped over to the Osiris full time. The argument certainly could be made to focus on crit as opposed to dodge for higher dps, but the high dodge thing is working well for me, and being a short range build it makes more sense that living longer to deliver that damage results in higher damage overall. With this dodge focus, I can toe-to-toe bosses...which I'm very happy with.

The dagger damage is great, no doubt...but not as great as I was hoping it was going to be. I think I'm at the top of the line right now as far as gear goes, but want to make sure that there's not some rare drop out there that I don't know about that I should be looking for. Happy to make the investment, I'm a min/maxer at heart =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly daggers were added as an afterthought, Isis and Thoth variants were either omitted on purpose in leiu of balance, or just forgotten/implemented with 0 drop chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Horus has the highest DPS I would say since it gives 8 dex vs. 8 str. Less dodge as others said, but DEX is the superior offensive stat than STR for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...that reminds me...even though Osiris has 3% more dodge than Horus, I only got an overall 2% increase because of that 8 dex difference. Losing the 8 dex swapping to the Osiris dagger dropped my overall dex down below the point where I get a natural dodge % point. Was kinda bummed on that.

In hindsight thinking about this, I may go back to the Horus dagger as primary even though it's 2% less dodge because of this...the overall benefit (increased dex, higher crit rate on the weapon itself, higher crit rate because of the dex bonus, and the 1% dodge because of the dex bonus) the Horus actually edges out the Osiris I think.

Something is wonky there. An item that has dodge percentage as its highest weapon stat should also buff the character stat that supports that...not lose some of the best stat on the weapon because it comes along with a character stat that doesn't focus on it.
    Last edited by Thuull; 08-31-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I go with the Osiris because you get more Crit then Dodge from Dex currently. You get 1 dodge for every 20 dex and 1 Crit for every 6.666 dex. So I consider dodge a more costly skill.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thuull View Post

Something is wonky there. An item that has dodge percentage as its highest weapon stat should also buff the character stat that supports that...not lose some of the best stat on the weapon because it comes along with a character stat that doesn't focus on it.
    This is kinda odd, the Warrior starts with 3 more dodge then an Archer and the Archer starts with 2 more crit. This makes dodge a ~warrior~ skill, even though it makes no sense.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love when someone brings up a new angle to think about. So Fluff, as an extension, you focus more on the hard stat of dodge value on an item and let crit take care of itself by dex value? Is that a general concept for items for you, or only in this case of the Osiris vs. Horus?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thuull View Post
    I love when someone brings up a new angle to think about. So Fluff, as an extension, you focus more on the hard stat of dodge value on an item and let crit take care of itself by dex value? Is that a general concept for items for you, or only in this case of the Osiris vs. Horus?
    In a way, but right now my Dagger use is limited mostly to running, where dodge is extremely important. Another thing to think about in running since using taunt is a VERY BAD idea, dodge buff is limited to 30 points where crit buff is 50 points. If you could use taunt, your dodge buff would go to 46. But maybe you are using Archer, and your crit / dodge is 50 / 50. Well in that case, DON'T use a dagger. Bear has a natural 50 points extra in health and the 50 point Armor buff in iron blood. These let a Dex Bear get close enough to use the dagger, where is a Bird risks getting killed. Speaking of which, another bonus dodge has over crit in that it could keep you alive ...

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh, but there's the rub...I am using a bird, and successfully I might add. Do I die more than on my Bear? Sure I do...but I have just recently gotten to the point where my survivability on the bird is good enough to get into dagger range.

I'm very much enjoying it, too =)

I'm sure that as of right now, dagger bear is overall "better" than dagger bird. I recognize that the skill set that bears get is pretty darn ideal for dagger work. Having done both, and now enjoying survivability on my bird now that I've learned how to gear for it and play it with survivability in mind, I greatly enjoy the dagger bird over the dagger bear. The damage is certainly better.

I've seen it said before, and repeated ad nauseum here on the forums that putting a bird in dagger range is suicide. I've found that that's simply not true. Not to the extent that it's made to, in any event.