Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Recycle igns

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,490 Posts

So now you notice there are more things that would need to be implemented when wanting to release dead names.

Auctioning off names would be nice, but say we released 1000 names per day, it would take a more than 30 years to release all 12M+ names.

The time to hand out a name is when a player wants to use it, so I'm actually leaning toward players possibly paying for the dead name they want with Platinum (that would weed out the hoarders), but I'm not sure how I'd feel about a game when creating a new character with a name in use and then receive a prompt such as 'Name unavailable, but you can have that name for 100 Platinum!' With context it makes sense, this game has been around for 10 years and there are millions of unused names, but it still feels like a scam.

We have several options:
    1. Do nothing and keep what we have now
    2. Release the names and don't worry about the exploitation/hoarding
    3. Sell the dead name at the point of character creation

-ALS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to asommers For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Sell the names, you can give context on character creation screen if necessary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Observing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    So now you notice there are more things that would need to be implemented when wanting to release dead names.

Auctioning off names would be nice, but say we released 1000 names per day, it would take a more than 30 years to release all 12M+ names.

The time to hand out a name is when a player wants to use it, so I'm actually leaning toward players possibly paying for the dead name they want with Platinum (that would weed out the hoarders), but I'm not sure how I'd feel about a game when creating a new character with a name in use and then receive a prompt such as 'Name unavailable, but you can have that name for 100 Platinum!' With context it makes sense, this game has been around for 10 years and there are millions of unused names, but it still feels like a scam.

We have several options:

-ALS
    2 or 3, doesnt really matter to me. If you wanna do 1 I wouldn’t care too much either, but having new names would also be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    F I E R Y

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,064 Posts

We have several options:

-ALS
    When you say 12mil names wouldn't include names like "Bluebox" or "Fastfish"? Or all of these names 1 word that is commonly used. Using the names as a lb reward would be very interesting imo, use the best names for lb and to sell. Filter out the bad names and you might be left with around if lucky 1mil names that are 1 word and commonly used. They don't need to be all instantly freed up, they can be used for future forum contests, event lbs, like even this event if the ign Fish isn't active then it could be used for top 1.
    The real issue is the black market which will never end unless you guys decide 1 month to weed out all of those players.

7.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #25
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,490 Posts

I didn't look at the names themselves, I just counted the number of characters on non-banned trial accounts that hadn't logged in in over 5 years. All of those names would automatically be freed.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,064 Posts

I didn't look at the names themselves, I just counted the number of characters on non-banned trial accounts that hadn't logged in in over 5 years. All of those names would automatically be freed.

-ALS
    I see, best option would filter the bad names from the good names, 3 letter words are top tier, then 4 letter words, then 3 letter names ex (Kpp), 5 letter words, 4 letter names (Kppp), then 5-8 letter words, 5-9 letter 2 word igns, 9-13 letter words.
    Thats the ranking system I'd go by for best to worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

We've seen what happened last time and I have no trust that people will NOT get around settings/limitations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I mean selling the deed doesn't sound too bad now, does it?
    F I E R Y

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

why cant you guys just be creative with your names? releasing names will create a surge of name selling. if you do end up selling these names you should sell them for a sizable amount of plat and make it account/character bound. better yet, make it so if that name gets renamed/deleted from a character it has to be purchased AGAIN. do not make these cheap or dont release them at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by worldwide309 View Post
    why cant you guys just be creative with your names? releasing names will create a surge of name selling. if you do end up selling these names you should sell them for a sizable amount of plat and make it account/character bound. better yet, make it so if that name gets renamed/deleted from a character it has to be purchased AGAIN. do not make these cheap or dont release them at all
    Well said !!!
    Avy
    12-2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

Keep what we have now this unnecessary would only create problems/conflict, game already fine

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

How about 1b gold for each banned name this could act as gold sink to fix the economy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

-ALS
    That's the best solution i feel , i don't think there's any other viable option , though people might try to exploit, but there isn't a better option i think .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have several options:

-ALS
    3 is a good trade. Dead unused names should not be impactful for the owner and the rest community can enjoy it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    593 Posts

-ALS
    There is a fourth opinion, release the name without any announcement. New ppl log in try a name and bam. Still think accounts should be limited in number per household/characters per account. Someone told me he has over 400 toons...that should not have been possible.
    I’m rubber and you’re glue, what bounces off me, sticks on you..
    Stop assuming my posts are emotional. I don’t care that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    593 Posts

Crazy idea here... how about, for now, names can be converted to a ........ Tradable deed.... could be a huuuuuuuge gold sink. Fee to craft into a deed that can be stashed or traded. Maybe all the people hoarding names would start selling them.
    Take this opportunity to restrict number of alts/accounts. Then afterwards the temp account names could be released without notice.
    I’m rubber and you’re glue, what bounces off me, sticks on you..
    Stop assuming my posts are emotional. I don’t care that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Worst idea to introduce a deed for names in Economy with 12m combination.

Add a platinum cost to the name make it 250 plat+ and add a maximum cap of 1-2 bought daily.

This allows evryone who wants this to get what he wants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

And in all fairness to the developers,

There should be a option to reserve names and giving the player who offers most the right to buy it.

Sponsoring our favorite development team and it seems really fair in the state game is in.

Release a 2 day period for couple handfull names allowing people to bid on it if such thing is possible.

I can only imagine its way to hard, sadly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

just keep things the way they are and come up with a creative name of your own. if not auction the names for absurd amounts of plat/gold. make each name 1750 plat just like auras and arc eggs or at least 250m per name (very good gold sink) - make the names account bound/character bound and once deleted/renamed they need to be purchased again. the name sellers are going to go crazy if they just get released, at least this way they will have to PAY to break ToS and risk their account.