Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The Mystery of the Dark Legends Pentagram

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Default The Mystery of the Dark Legends Pentagram

Introduction

Hello spacetime community and thank you for dropping by my thread! I wanted to start with a little explanation for what this thread is about. The other day I was showing a friend of mine Dark Legends. He wasn't sure if he wanted to play it or not because both of us aren't too fond of blood, and I had mentioned to him that there was a lot of blood in the game. I began playing the game and he was watching me. Then, all of the sudden, he says, "Whoa, I'm definitely not playing that game now." I was puzzled at this and asked him why. He then began to explain that he saw a demonic symbol in the game. Both him and I are of the Christian faith so you could see how this could maybe present a problem for us. Anyways, I had never noticed any "demonic symbol" so I asked him where it was. Here are some pictures that show the symbol he was referring to.

Now, as far as I had known, this innocent looking star was nothing more than a star created by the design team to look awesome. However, this is entirely not the case.

The Pentagram

Because the idea of a demonic symbol in this epic vampire game was somewhat unsettling to me, I decided to do some research on this strange symbol. The following is a link to some very insightful information on this symbol called "Pentagram."

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/pentagram.html

Here are some images of an actual Pentagram. You can tell with the second picture where Dark Legends got its design from

If you don't have time to read all of this information, I'll try to summarize as best I can. Essentially, this symbol has meant a vast variety of things throughout generations aging all the way back to ancient Greece, and perhaps even before that. It has represented many many different religious ideas from different cults and religious groups in general, such as a guard against evil, a heavenly body, a symbol of trade, a Wiccan symbol for the spirit and the elements, and much, much more. In our modern age, however, this is what is come to represent-

"It simply represents what the user wants it to represent." Interesting statement. In fact, I'm not so certain I agree. If you were to ask someone fairly clueless on the subject, what they think the Pentagram is, they would probably say something to the extent of, "Isn't it some kind of demon or witchcraft thing?" Either way, regardless of what it has come to represent, there should be one thing you have noticed. It has nothing to do with vampires! So why put it in a predominantly vampire game, especially when it is so commonly misinterpreted as a demonic themed symbol? Personally, I don't think it should be used. However, there another symbol which would fit this game perfectly.

A quick thing to point out is that the star used in Dark Legends appears to be the one pointing down, rather than up. This is noteworthy because the Pentagram pointed down is much more closely related to Satanistic cults and, well basically just worse stuff in general. However I noticed that, in Dark Legends, the star changes from level to level. Sometimes it's pointed up, and sometimes it's pointed down. Either way it is still a Pentagram and as such doesn't really matter whether it's point is up or down.

The Vampire Star

Here is a picture of what I think should be used instead of the pentagram

While I was not able to look up any kind of history for this particular symbol, mainly because there are hundreds of vampire symbols, it does represent vampires. In fact, most of the symbols I was able to look up said nothing more than "a symbol representing vampires or vampiric activity." Now I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

Final Conclusion

So you may be wondering why I care so much. You may think "so there's a demonic star. Big deal." However there are really two main reasons why I wish that it would be replaced.

1. (reason one deleted)

2. There is no apparent reason! The pentagram simply doesn't fit the mood. You are a vampire fighting evil. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the storyline has you hunting down some demonic possessor lady named "Jessa." In other words, you're trying to kill someone for demon possessing people and yet your victory symbol at the end of each level is...a symbol closely related to demonic themed things? It would make so much more sense to have a vampire star at the end of each level. Wouldn't you agree?

EDIT~
    For the future reference of this thread let me clarify. I'm not here to say this game sucks because it has a "demonic symbol" and I'm a Christian who hates demon symbols. I think this game is amazing! And I love researching interesting topics, such as this Pentagram. As such I decided to post here for two reasons.

1. To enlighten others, like myself, who like to learn interesting facts
    2. To point out that the symbol itself does not fit the game.

Obviously I was wrong about point two, thanks to Carapace. :-)

Lastly, whether the symbol was in there or not, I would still play the game. It is ONLY a symbol. And it is ONLY a game. Please keep chat on topic, and civil.

Let me know what y'all think!
    ~MM
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 08-29-2012 at 08:04 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

3.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Very interesting thread!

The original idea is that the vampires in Carvina are tied by their nature to the occult and "Dark Arts", but the symbol you're pointing out has more than one meaning than just a demonic pentagram. In terms of Dark legends for the player it's intended as a pentacle, and not a pentagram. The orientation of course shifts as the player does, but from a purely design standpoint the symbols used in the magics and mythology of vampirism and the occult weighed our decision to use it as an aesthetic. I assure you there is no desired intention to offend based on the symbolism found in the game, but certain elements feel appropriate in the context of the game.

Pentacles, are the inversion of a pentagram often referenced by Pagan history and the Druids (which is why that event made sense for Dark legends! )

The breakdown of a pentacle is as follows, and a connection should be seen between the elements and abilities your vamp gets as well as the general progression of the character.

I hope the image attaches correctly!

Name:  pentacle.JPG
Views: 7406
Size:  30.8 KB

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

They don't force you to play.
    Kaytar

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaytar For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Since i don't want to type a long drawn out explanation for information that can be pulled easily off of wikipedia, check wikipedia. It is a symbol used for a very long time by many cultures and religions. Even christianity. It is used as a protection symbol and symbolizes the 5 wounds of christ (left and right feet, left and right hands, and the wound to his side).

It has roots in many cultures and every religion. people that don't know their own religions well, commonly confuse this symbol being satanic because of rock bands that used it (remember rock, even the mild stuff from the 1950 was considered the devils music).

that symbol is deeply rooted in the cultures of everyone on the planet and generally symbolizes the 4 elements fire ,earth, wind, water, and the fifth at the top, spirit with the circle representing the uniting all. Or as a symbol of man, 2 arms, 2 legs, and the head with the circle representing the spirit that unites all the parts into the whole (the spirit).

Regardless people will see and think whatever they please on any given subject. One persons cartoon mickey mouse, is another persons devil,
    or a symbol of capitalism.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KillaSkillz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytar View Post
    Please read the whole thread before responding. It was not my intention in the least to wine and complain. I simply did not see how the pentagram fit the game. That's it.

@Killaskillz please see reason number two.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

11.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Like many things, there are open interpretations regarding many facets of symbolism and religious context. MightyMicah brings up a very valid comparison, as do myself and KillaSkillz. Let's be wary not to let this thread derail as it will be closed pretty quickly should it begin to go anywhere but the general discussion at hand.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah:764660
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaytar View Post
    Please read the whole thread before responding. It was not my intention in the least to wine and complain. I simply did not see how the pentagram fit the game. That's it.

What makes you think I didn't read the whole thing? You said it was insulting. Don't like it? Don't play. You dont have to
    Kaytar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post

Well ok, if reason #2, you want it replaced because there is no reason, then why even open it up for discussion and ask what others think on the subject? I was under the assumption this was going to be a discussion on the symbol. Next time send an email to support if you want them to remove something instead.

Good day.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace:764647
    Very interesting thread!

The original idea is that the vampires in Carvina are tied by their nature to the occult and "Dark Arts", but the symbol you're pointing out has more than one meaning than just a demonic pentagram. In terms of Dark legends for the player it's intended as a pentacle, and not a pentagram. The orientation of course shifts as the player does, but from a purely design standpoint the symbols used in the magics and mythology of vampirism and the occult weighed our decision to use it as an aesthetic. I assure you there is no desired intention to offend based on the symbolism found in the game, but certain elements feel appropriate in the context of the game.

Pentacles, are the inversion of a pentagram often referenced by Pagan history and the Druids (which is why that event made sense for Dark legends! )

The breakdown of a pentacle is as follows, and a connection should be seen between the elements and abilities your vamp gets as well as the general progression of the character.

I hope the image attaches correctly!

Name:  pentacle.JPG
Views: 7406
Size:  30.8 KB
    Thank you for clarifying. While I am not a whiccan or anything like that, I still detest fear based on ignorance. Symbols are nothing but symbols and seeing a symbol in a game or movie will not make you less of an [insert religion here]. The character you control in the game is not you and probably would not share your beliefs if it were real.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Growwle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Nice thread Micah. I am a Christian too. A Catholic, btw. I did not know the meaning of the symbol, but thanks for enlightening Micah and Cara. But while we have differing opinions about this, it all boils down to how interpret and take these things: if we allow it to affect us, or if we allow it to alter with our current faith, beliefs or practices. People will think of the pentagram differently. Cause we each have different roots. We cannot force someone to like or hate something.

I guess we cannot all agree into a solution for this one, I think. Since either way, it would be unfair for either those who want the pentagram as it is, or those who want to change it. This is a very sensitive issue and should be discussed with utmost care.

I am not against any of you reading this. Maybe, we just have to respect each other's opinions, cause if this thread goes too far, it may turn to a flame thread, or worse, people may use this opportunity to turn against each other, bashing each other's religion or faith or beliefs or even our values.

Let's not hate each other. After all, there's a new cap.

*I'm still allergic to flame. Don't.
    Last edited by WinterKate; 08-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterKate For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

As a satanist I find this thread offensive and requesting a lock.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Meh. Its nothing to worry about.

Sounds similar to the southpark episode where all the different religions ruined the christmas play for everyone. One religion didn't like christmas trees. One didn't like jesus. One didn't like the nativity scene... and so on, and so on. It doesn't really matter if a game sports a symbol you dislike.

If you were playing Skyrim, and you came across a christian cross, would you ask bethesda to take the cross down, because it didn't fit into the world and their religions? Or rather... if you did, would you expect any change?

They are games made by a company, the company chooses a piece of art for a reason, doesn't matter how anyone feels about that piece of art, don't nitpick! ;p

Also, I was going to thank/add rep to Stompartist. But it seems my thank button is gone. boooo

Let's make it SPARKLE!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    As a satanist I find this thread offensive and requesting a lock.
    This is what I am talking about. Differing opinions. This is fine for some, offensive for others.

Thanks Stomp for giving your take on this.
    Last edited by WinterKate; 08-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Thank you WinterKate for your comment. I really hoped people would give their opinion on the entire thing. Not on the slight mention of religion. Lesson learned.

For the future reference of this thread let me clarify. I'm not here to say this game sucks because it has a "demonic symbol" and I'm a Christian who hates demon symbols. I think this game is amazing! And I love researching interesting topics, such as this Pentagram. As such I decided to post here for two reasons.

1. To enlighten others, like myself, who like to learn interesting facts
    2. To point out that the symbol itself does not fit the game.

Obviously I was wrong about point two, thanks to Carapace. :-)

Lastly, whether the symbol was in there or not, I would still play the game. It is ONLY a symbol. And it is ONLY a game. Please keep chat on topic, and civil.

Thank you
    ~MM
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 08-29-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I don't know how others will see point 2 up. It will hurt others, I think. But thank you for sharing your insight Micah. This is an interesting thread, and yet very sensitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I am curious Micah: Any opinion about angel wings and halos on bears or pointy eared creatures?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

If you look at something and it offends you, stop looking at it, quite simple. Please don't get people worked up and try to get the game changed. I personally don't understand the connection between vampires and the pentacle, but it is part of the DL ambience. Vampires are soulless and inherently damned, sometimes by no fault of their own, that should be as offensive as a pentacle / pentagram.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Growwle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I am curious Micah: Any opinion about angel wings and halos on bears or pointy eared creatures?
    I don't find that offensive. I don't find that interesting either. Naturally I wouldn't start a thread about it. I am curious as to why you seem so offended that I would start a thread like this. I assure you it was not my intention to offend anyone.

@Growwle actually I believe vampires are mythical creatures, whereas I believe demons are very real. And very interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Interesting. I do remember the druids from Britain whenever I think of them. I'll have to look a bit more up on this stuff.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah:764745
    I don't find that offensive. I don't find that interesting either. Naturally I wouldn't start a thread about it. I am curious as to why you seem so offended that I would start a thread like this. I assure you it was not my intention to offend anyone.

@Growwle actually I believe vampires are mythical creatures, whereas I believe demons are very real. And very interesting.
    You are entitled to your beliefs. I personally believe demons and devils are fictional embodiments of human behavior.