Thread: Freedom of Speech

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Freedom of Speech

Its been a concern of mine that there is actually a guild rule in certain guilds in SL that restricts the use of other languages besides English to be use in guild chat. SL is worldwide. It is as diverse as the real world. Restricting somebody to speak their own language is abusive and inhumane. I hope that we can appreciate each others language and play as a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

A guild is a private party, not public, so they have the right to restrict membership if they want. I don't understand why you would want to join a guild that has rules you can't, or don't want to comply with anyway, unless you just want to cause drama. If you did find a way to force yourself into such a guild, they would just resent you for it. Just find a guild with people who have things in common with you.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Well usually the in-guild language restrictions r because english is an international language for communication and almost everyone knows at least some of it. And if I started speaking my mothertongue, finnish, in guildchat no one would understand it. And the ones who don't understand finnish do not know what I say while they can see that I said something and it is kinda rude.

I mean it is not cool to whisper to someone in a group. It's basically the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

1. It's a private group
    2. They aren't restricting you from speaking it with other people or in town
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess one reason that they wudnt want u to speak in another language besides English is that they dont wont know what ur saying. But thinking that not everyone uses English, they wudnt also understand the chat entries thats in English.
    Imagine all guilds restricting everyone to use guild chat using only a specific language. This isnt happening now, but it will if everyone thinks that its ok. So where can u join now? None. Tyvm
    Restricting. I used that word becoz booting off somebody who guild chats not using English is more or less restrictive. Enforcing can be used, too. If ur at the other side of the fence.
    PS I was never in this kind of situation.
    A guild moderator not affiliated to a guild wud help.

Akihabara Denki Gai (Home of all the OTAKUS! XD)- Tokyo, Japan :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jcx View Post
    I guess one reason that they wudnt want u to speak in another language besides English is that they dont wont know what ur saying. But thinking that not everyone uses English, they wudnt also understand the chat entries thats in English.
    Imagine all guilds restricting everyone to use guild chat using only a specific language. This isnt happening now, but it will if everyone thinks that its ok. So where can u join now? None. Tyvm
    Restricting. I used that word becoz booting off somebody who guild chats not using English is more or less restrictive. Enforcing can be used, too. If ur at the other side of the fence.
    PS I was never in this kind of situation.
    A guild moderator not affiliated to a guild wud help.
    Or you can try joining a guild with members that speaks the same language as you.
    DO NOT INVITE ME TO YOUR GUILD IN SL UNLESS IT'S EBS TYVM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSLAYER View Post
    Or you can try joining a guild with members that speaks the same language as you.
    Or you can be guildiees and wild?
    When there is too much

Don't forget