The main reason about this is that among all activities provided gold farming is a little to overpowered and if we nerf it people will just completely leave it.
In my view, therefore STS should nerf it, and be happy that fewer people are gold-farming all day. There will be complaints, of course, from those people who are saving for better equipment (like me), but in the long run it's better for inflation control. The reason nerfing gold will be vastly unpopular immediately is that players have seen insanely high inflation until now, and are terrified that if they don't have matching insanely high gold drops, they'll never afford better equipment. I'm terrified myself! However, the economist in me is 100% certain that it's vital for STS to get inflation under control, and to do it sooner rather than later, even if many players suffer in the short term, including me.

One side of the equation is gold: everyone talks about that, nerf gold, cap gold, &c. The other side of the equation is products/services in the economy, but not many people seem to talk about it. Just as it is in the real world, controlling inflation requires the rate of increase in goods and services to be greater than the rate of increase in printing of money. Mathematically, that is the only thing that works, other than brute-force revaluation of the currency — but in the real world, currency revaluation has led often to civil war, revolution and/or anarchy; and likely will have STS lose a great number of platinum-paying players. I don't think that's a realistic option.

Therefore AL needs not only some kind of brake on gold-creation (e.g. nerfing drops, making it cost more plat) but also a much higher drop rate for items, either durable items or crafting ingredients for durable items — and a higher cost for crafting would help too, especially for energy kits for events. If higher crafting cost were paired with shorter crafting time, even better: gold is taken out of the system even more swiftly.

Why durable item drops? Drops aren't paid for in gold, so make no diffrence to the gold in the economy. Consumable items disappear once consumed, so it nets zero change in items too. Consumable drop = zero effect on inflation. A durable item drop adds to the amount of goods in the economy, matched against no net increase in gold.

Why crafting? Crafting fee is gold taken out of the economy. If crafting costs increased, more gold is taken out of the system. Since people craft so many energy kits during events, an increase in crafting cost could have a reasonable dampening effect on inflation. Also, if crafting costs significantly more, players might be more likely to make full use of the event map and loot all of its drops, rather than just grabbing the gold at the boss and remapping. Grabbing gold and letting items vanish = inflation.

Some events have rare items that can be crafted over a day or more … but the faster that they could be produced, and the more expensive to craft, the faster the crafting player would be spending gold, and the more of that product would be on the market, and therefore it would sell for less gold. Inflation-control win all around!

Auction fees are also taken out of the system, but we should NOT increase those, that could be very dangerious. I don't have room to explain that here.

So the ideal product to drop is a useful durable product that can be crafted into an even better durable product. If they were trying to control inflation, STS got it completely wrong-way-about when they nerfed jewel drops recently. Same high rate of gold production chasing much lowered rate of jewel production = higher prices for jewels = inflation. Oops.

My view in summary:
1. Nerf gold drops, but it don't do it in too severe a way or else it becomes essentially the same as forcibly revaluing the currency, which is extremely destabilising to any society, even an online one.
2. Buff drops of all durable items.
3. Buff drops of crafting materials that can be crafted into durable items. Jewels are especially good.
4. Increase crafting costs for durables, but still make it affordable.
5. Increase crafting costs for consumables (e.g. energy kits) by much more. This is because while crafting durables affects both sides of the ledger (decreases gold/increases goods), crafting consumables affects only one (decreases gold/net zero goods change when consumed).
6. Decrease time required for crafting, so gold is spent more quickly. This is especially important for energy kits and for multi-day crafting periods.
9. Stop dropping bound items — I can explain this if anyone needs it.
8. DO NOT INCREASE AUCTION FEES — I can explain this if anyone needs it.