Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Most annoying things in AL...

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Hey guys, couple of comments about camera lock and gender choices:

WRT the camera, I am in agreement that an unlocked camera is an awesome thing. I would love to have that option. Unfortunately when we created AL, we built it to be specifically viewed from one direction. This means that many buildings and props do not have a back face, and when the camera is spun around, things look very strange. The art bar is so high on this title that the decision was made to not allow the camera to rotate because, from certain angles, the game looks broken. Please believe me that I have been on an internal crusade to make it happen, but in the end the decision was made to not allow it in the interest of a beautiful and uniform visual experience.

Gender choices are restricted for a different reason. We went with such strong silhouettes because we really wanted to differentiate the feel of the roles. Each class has specific, and highly stylized models and animations, as opposed to SL, where everything shares the same model and animation set. For us to pull off a female warrior in AL, it would be a completely different body type, different animation set (women do not move like men, as we all know), and different armors at the least. This is what we call in the biz, a "multiplier".

I hope this explains some of the choices that may seem arbitrary to you, and thank you very much for the continued discussion of how we can make this game better for everyone.

- g
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post

WRT the camera, I am in agreement that an unlocked camera is an awesome thing. I would love to have that option. Unfortunately when we created AL, we built it to be specifically viewed from one direction. This means that many buildings and props do not have a back face, and when the camera is spun around, things look very strange. The art bar is so high on this title that the decision was made to not allow the camera to rotate because, from certain angles, the game looks broken. Please believe me that I have been on an internal crusade to make it happen, but in the end the decision was made to not allow it in the interest of a beautiful and uniform visual experience.

Gender choices are restricted for a different reason. We went with such strong silhouettes because we really wanted to differentiate the feel of the roles. Each class has specific, and highly stylized models and animations, as opposed to SL, where everything shares the same model and animation set. For us to pull off a female warrior in AL, it would be a completely different body type, different animation set (women do not move like men, as we all know), and different armors at the least. This is what we call in the biz, a "multiplier".

I hope this explains some of the choices that may seem arbitrary to you, and thank you very much for the continued discussion of how we can make this game better for everyone.

- g
    Thanks G! I kinda like the camera locked now since I get used to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

- g
    Case closed. Thanks for the great explanations.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tearacan View Post
    Why you want to choose a gender? It's a fictional game with fictional characters.
    PL can't choose either, can not even choose an infant mage, or a bear cub

If you want to be a male, choose warrior
    If you want to be a female, choose rogue
    If you want to be it, choose a sorcerer
    Why we want to choose genders? Well most of us just love to choose. If we want a freakin' gender lock we can play pocket legends. No need to make the same ugly mistake twice.
    I love rogues but I want to a play male rogue and not a female.

And how can you say about camera rotation "don't add it". If you can play without it congrats but don't refuse us other an option to set it. It's just stupid to say "don't add it" to others ppl's requests. We aren't saying either "no don't add" tearacans requests. We don't need them
    Last edited by Kuero; 11-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

- g
    Well, Mr. G maybe you could explain me this with the gender lock again? I sti don't get it? "Women are moving different then men" so that's the reason why I can't play a male rogue?
    And if you would love to have a rotate option why not adding it then? Also when it looks broken then those who don't like it still can re-lock it again

7.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #66
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kuero View Post
    Why we want to choose genders? Well most of us just love to choose. If we want a freakin' gender lock we can play pocket legends. No need to make the same fugly mistake twice.
    I love rogues but I want to a play male rogue and not a female.

And how can you say about camera rotation "don't add it". If you can play without it congrats but don't refuse us other an option to set it. It's just dumb to say "don't add it" to others ppl's requests. We aren't saying either "no don't add" tearacans requests. We don't need them
    Did you even read my post Kuero?
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Did you even read my post Kuero?
    I was reading comments first and then I put my comments which was reloading the thread and suddenly your comment popped up

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Well, Mr. G maybe you could explain me this with the gender lock again? I sti don't get it? "Women are moving different then men" so that's the reason why I can't play a male rogue?
    And if you would love to have a rotate option why not adding it then? Also when it looks broken then those who don't like it still can re-lock it again
    G explained it...

DL - Bastilia,Acashi - Lvl 31

MY GUESS : 2222

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bastilia View Post
    G explained it...
    Yea and I asked him if he could explain it again because I still don't understand his (first) explanation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

- g
    That would have been my guess, as stated a while ago the decision was most likely due to having making 6 different sets of everything, animations/art/models etc. Each cinema sequence would have to be changed, along with every single armour model made for both Male/Female.

Makes perfect sense. Though still doesn't change how we feel about the decision, before the game was announced, but should be enough for others to drop the subject

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Waiting for google chrome realise

DL - Bastilia,Acashi - Lvl 31

MY GUESS : 2222

13.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #72
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

OK let's try again.

See how the warrior and the rogue are different sizes? And they have different run speeds, and animations? And they look different? If we were to have different genders, it would double the amount of information needed for animations, and double the amount of art assets needed for armors.

And the fact that I personally would love to camera rotation have one does not outweigh my partners' opinions on the Art. I don't make the call on visual direction, and I respect their desire to have the game come out and not look broken.
    | | | |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

OK let's try again.

See how the warrior and the rogue are different sizes? And they have different run speeds, and animations? And they look different? If we were to have different genders, it would double the amount of information needed for animations, and double the amount of art assets needed for armors.

And the fact that I personally would love to camera rotation have one does not outweigh my partners' opinions on the Art. I don't make the call on visual direction, and I respect their desire to have the game come out and not look broken.
    Alright now I get it. I'm disappointed about this anyway. As all those articles from IGN, E3 and the other android testing corporations appeared I wasn't reading anything about negatives like gender locks, camera locks etc.
    Also I still remember your comment "we took what ppl liked from Pl and we took what ppl liked from DL and combined them".
    So I was going to expect the best game ever yet with all advantages (just like class genders, camera rotation etc.) from the other legend titles.
    I wished you guys would have mentioned it earlier, like last May already. Then my disappointment wouldn't be that huge.
    But thank you anyway for your second explanation. I think I get it now: there are no gender choices because the development would take too long but you want to release it ASAP.
    <a href=https://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?s=d1bb470c3ee8c8b8b51a2d83b3f77a87&attachmentid=18894  title=Name:  
Views: 
Size:  >Attachment 18894</a>
    "Out of sight, out of mind"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Yea and I asked him if he could explain it again because I still don't understand his (first) explanation
    Adding camera rotation would make the game too big.

Adding multiple genders would make the game too big.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post

Yup, case closed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post

They should have mentioned it earlier though. Since I was reading all those awesome game articles from several months back I though it would have all those options but instead I'm getting informed months later about, on the release date that it doesn't have them.

But well, it's my fault. Shouldn't have read those useless game articles promising nothing.
    I think I just shut up and look how the full version will be :/
    <a href=https://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?s=d1bb470c3ee8c8b8b51a2d83b3f77a87&attachmentid=18894  title=Name:  
Views: 
Size:  >Attachment 18894</a>
    "Out of sight, out of mind"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Hey guys, couple of comments about camera lock and ....
    Thanks, G, for the explanation. Maybe my take on it will be different after I dl the iOS version and play for a while. Fortunately, you guys have plenty of games for me to play, so there's something for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Interface - On Guild it does not show which part of the map people are at.

Azibas, My Guess is 2027

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azibas View Post
    Interface - On Guild it does not show which part of the map people are at.
    Also, guild roster names aren't in any particular order, not by lvl or name, just random :/

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Most annoying thing is everyone crying about camera rotation and different genders ... Come on now, some people find the most stupidest things to be so highly upset over and some posts are really a little overdramatic .. Its just a game people.. Sts just needs to do what they do best and make the games we all want to play and take the dammed if we do, dammed if we dont roll... because obviously they are not going to please everyone
    Last edited by Dalinuel; 11-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thundarr lvl 15 warrior
    Midas lvl 12 sorcerer
    Guinevere lvl 12 rogue