Thread: Platinum: The real cost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default Platinum: The real cost

not to get all Marie Antoinette but as an impulsive regular plat buyer I want to relate the downside of having too much.

Paying for extras can substantially affect your gaming experience in bad ways... I've ruined other games by doing this. blasting thru content, no thrill-of-the-drop, no ambition, no... reward. why? Because you bought it a long time ago.

Is it a developers responsibility for how I spend my money? of course not. should a responsible developer allow you to destroy its own creation by totally circumventing content for the sake of revenue? I dunno.

I don't feel cheated or manipulated by STS. (not in the GLU sense if you know what I mean) but I can safely say I'm playing less and less. so truly, who's the bad guy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

blame it on elyseon

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Damn liberals! Don't hate on capitalism and a lack of self control!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Damn liberals! Don't hate on capitalism and a lack of self control!
    lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This is a Free game.

Ex-Ambassador Of Alterra
    Proud member of Turbo
    Whatever, life's still gonna move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loaden View Post
    This is a Free game.
    free to play not free to engineer/support/update. but I'm sure that's what you meant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Possibly. ^^

Ex-Ambassador Of Alterra
    Proud member of Turbo
    Whatever, life's still gonna move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

It's free, but the Plat content never fails to tempt me.

I Bes Behr : The Guide
    PL-Demon, Warrior, Behr, Light, Rot, Eat, Bank, Bracelet, Icasthard, Forerun, Embarrass

AL-Rot, Compose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    It's free, but the Plat content never fails to tempt me.
    yeah. running without elixir feels like a debuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think once you get the top end gear in any game, you start to lose interest (feeling like a god wears off surprisingly fast). Lack of progression kills interest.

I don't think it matters if you farmed for it endlessly or bought it outright. e.g. I know that in World of Warcraft the pvp'ers who grinded endlessly for those 'honor points' to get the top-end gear, didn't really play much afterwards.

Farming it means the journey is a bit longer; but I wouldn't necessarily say more enjoyable. Sure there's the thrill of the possibility of a reward, but that comes part and parcel with disappointment 98% of the time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nenjih For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nenjih View Post
    I think once you get the top end gear in any game, you start to lose interest (feeling like a god wears off surprisingly fast). Lack of progression kills interest.

I don't think it matters if you farmed for it endlessly or bought it outright. e.g. I know that in World of Warcraft the pvp'ers who grinded endlessly for those 'honor points' to get the top-end gear, didn't really play much afterwards.

Farming it means the journey is a bit longer; but I wouldn't necessarily say more enjoyable. Sure there's the thrill of the possibility of a reward, but that comes part and parcel with disappointment 98% of the time.
    wow. what a succinct, well thought, unemotional, and thorough response... you don't see that much.

so is a game better or worse depending on how they pace progression when pay-for-power is an option? for example, burning a game out too quick reduces means a decreasing population at a faster rate, simply put. A low game population is always bad because no one wants to start playing a game that no one plays.

GLU is fantastically aggressive with development and innovation so they can afford the turn over of games burning out because they're always replacing them. Iow: it doesn't matter how many customers you lose. As long as your gaining more than that number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Here's what I did to make the game more fun and challenging for me....

I'm a plat user, but I don't purchase large amounts of plat, so here is what I decided:

1) I will use plat to purchase elixirs on occasion. For example, when I reached level 15, I bought the week-long 1.5x XP elixir to help me level up to 16. On occasion I will probably get a luck elixir for 2 plat. But I won't be running with elixirs all the time.

2) If they release vanities in the Plat Store, I will probably buy some of them.

3) I will NOT buy gold for plat. I will get gold the regular way by farming and merching.

4) I will NOT buy any pets for plat that can be farmed or acquired by other means.

So far I did go ahead and buy the champion bundle pack, which technically gave me 25k gold. But my main reason for purchasing this was that I want to be a merch (as I am in PL) and needed the 10 extra CS slots and the extra inventory slots. And the price of the bundle pack was actually 5 plat less than just buying the CS slots, so it was a no brainer.

I also purchased a couple of pets for plat, but they were the ones that were exclusive to the plat store. I eventually hope to acquire all the pets, but will not buy spending plat on any pets that I can buy for gold, story tokens, hauntlet coins, or buy in the CS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Here's what I did to make the game more fun and challenging for me....

I'm a plat user, but I don't purchase large amounts of plat, so here is what I decided:

1) I will use plat to purchase elixirs on occasion. For example, when I reached level 15, I bought the week-long 1.5x XP elixir to help me level up to 16. On occasion I will probably get a luck elixir for 2 plat. But I won't be running with elixirs all the time.

2) If they release vanities in the Plat Store, I will probably buy some of them.

3) I will NOT buy gold for plat. I will get gold the regular way by farming and merching.

4) I will NOT buy any pets for plat that can be farmed or acquired by other means.

So far I did go ahead and buy the champion bundle pack, which technically gave me 25k gold. But my main reason for purchasing this was that I want to be a merch (as I am in PL) and needed the 10 extra CS slots and the extra inventory slots. And the price of the bundle pack was actually 5 plat less than just buying the CS slots, so it was a no brainer.

I also purchased a couple of pets for plat, but they were the ones that were exclusive to the plat store. I eventually hope to acquire all the pets, but will not buy spending plat on any pets that I can buy for gold, story tokens, hauntlet coins, or buy in the CS.
    sounds like a good compromise of enjoying accelerated/extra game content. Too bad I have a wicked impulse control issue. If my 60min combo elixir wears off I stop and refix like a junkie.

I give STS proper credit for stopping the clock out of combat. The didn't HAVE to do that. shows a little integrity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

seems like Platinum is becoming the big drug imports into this community. As stated before, it is a free game...

Yes you lose interest in this game quite quickly... But you can manage to hold on to the new content of the game, the game is still in it's release... Give it until January... All contents and level caps of the game will be announced.

The real question is ... Why waste platinums now? When you have a whole 95% of the game that you haven't played yet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Slow and easy~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

no plat here just the starters pack if you will for 70plat ..jus stackin gold enjoyin the community i enjoy making sales ppl pm you "id like to buy what you have on cs can you do this price" sure (::

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovee View Post
    Slow and easy~
    Faster and easiest.