Thread: Skyward Smash Vs Windmill

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalite View Post
    To be fair, I think Kenoon was merely stating his personal opinion on the skyward smash vs windmill issue, which I feel is fairly contentious with peeps from both camps touting their own choice as the best. I provided some simple math calculations, but I shall leave it up to the individual to draw their own conclusions, based on their personal experience. Build your toon the way you want to play, so long as you are prepared to live with whatever consequences is what I believe in.

As such, I don't think it is fair to bring in chest splitter and compare it with windmill. I believe by now most warriors who bother to read the forums agree that chest splitter is a good staple skill, along with at least one other dps skill. Whether it is SS, WM or axe, it is up to them.

I would like to point out though, the possibility of perhaps another popular misconception:
    Chest splitter does not appear to be a 'TAUNT' skill. I define a 'taunt' as any skill that grants the user a 100% chance to force the target to turn his attention on the user. Currently, I believe only horn of renew, juggernaut(with appropriate upgrades for both) and axe throw can be considered a taunt, in that once used, it immediately forces the target to turn on the user, regardless of how short or long the duration.

Chest splitter, in my experience, does not always force the target to turn on me. However, I can accept that it 'has a threat modifier', or 'a very high threat modifier' to the skill based on my personal experience but without any empirical evidence or announcement from devs, I would prefer to be skeptical and avoid even labeling it as such.

By empirical evidence, I refer to a test of similar nature as follows:
    Basic assumption: first player to agro a mob gains a certain amount of 'initial agro'
    Player A agroes boss anddoes not hit at all.
    Player B deals normal attack of e.g. 101 dmg.
    Player C uses chest splitter for 100dmg or below, and yet gets the agro from boss. (meaning boss is now focused on player C)
    Note: this is not proof of a taunt, but merely evidence that chest splitter has a threat modifier since he dealt less dmg than player B, yet gets agro.

Proof for a taunt:
    Player A has been attacking boss for awhile, e.g. 20sec.
    Player B comes in and uses one of the following skills once and does nothing else: horn of renew, juggernaut (appropriate upgrades), axe throw, chest splitter
    If boss now turns his attention on player B, it is then proven that the skill used is a taunt, as player clearly has had no time to deal more dmg than player A, yet gets the agro.
    It is my personal experience that chest splitter alone will not draw the agro of the boss in this situation.

Can anyone verify this for a fact pls? Thanks!
    What you said is very true.
    I had went juggernaut, hor, windmill and vengeful blood yesterday.
    My friend used chest splitter, windmill, hor, vengeful blood. (which is my current setup)
    I totally lose out in taunting just because of chest splitter with staggering blow even though i used windmill + hor + charged vengeful blood + ribbit active skill + juggernaut (which some claims 4 times the taunt effect of HOR LOL. I hereby confirm its false -.-)

After a series of test, the threat output with CS is extremely high but it isn't a taunt skill.
    There were several runs i done with korean players.
    Both of us were heavily taunting against one another to see who's the ultimate tanker.
    Eventually the winner goes to the one who last used a taunt skill or accumulated taunt counters to be so great that further taunts are render useless.

There is one particular guildless warrior who caught my attention.
    His damage on screen is 99.9. He basically spams all dps skills on Jarl and my taunting skills were beaten by him handsdown.
    Last edited by Kenoon; 12-12-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger