Thread: Getting legendary items from elite dungeons??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default Getting legendary items from elite dungeons??

Ok, so this week I am off from work and I've been spending 8 hours per day playing AL since Saturday. So that's a lot of hours. In all of that time I've only reached the boss of an elite dungeon 3 times, and our group killed him twice. Let's just say that I've spent around 10-15 hours running in the elite dungeons. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I keep dying and so does the entire group.

I'm a Lvl16 Sorcerer and here are my stats:

Strength: 48
    Health: 580

Dexterity: 40
    Dodge: 4.46%
    Critical: 3.48%

Intelligence: 182
    Bonus Dmg: 191%
    Mana: 1970

Damage: 139.9
    Armor: 361

So I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong. I keep hearing people talk about "farming elite Jarl". I've never even seen Elite Jarl. I was told by a few people that he appears in the Blackenridge Forest. Well, I've spent around 5 hours playing that dungeon, but never have managed to get to the end and see the boss. Usually some members of the group die after around 10 minutes or so of trying, and then people start leaving, so I am left there by myself and have to start over. I usually die 5-6 times in every run as well.

Any advise? Someone told me I need to find a good party. That sounds nice, I've been looking, but apparently I've not found one yet. In PL I had lots of friends and we used to farm together. But don't really know anyone in AL. I joined a guild, but 99% of the time I'm the only one logged in, or maybe one other member.

Tonight I got a luck elixir from my blessing and wanted to use that in the elite dungeon, but of course it ran out while we were fighting the mobs, so it was obviously wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Firstly, Jarl is in the map Village. You can get to there either by clearing the first two maps, or by running past the monsters to unlock the next map.

The rest of this is my opinion, and possibly not the best advice.

You'll need at least one good tank who can hold aggro of the monsters. This tank must be willing to spam health potions as well.
    As for the other 3 members, I'd suggest getting rogues and sorcerers for a greater damage output. Again, all players must be willing to spam mana and health potions. If you fear that one tank is insufficient, you could get another tank.

What's your IGN? I can help you get through the first 2 maps to Elite Village.
    Instant - Guess: 2764

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The trick is to kill only the monsters you have to. A group of four elite monsters destroys any rogue/sorcerer, so the warrior should go in first. In elite village you just rush to Jarl. The normal monsters will follow you for a bit and then return to their positions. You only kill a group of 5 or 6 monsters and Jarl. Then leave and return.
    Tuik - Rogue
    Pululu - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hi, I would like to say I can totally empathize with your situation. Same thing happened to me when I just started. The only difference was on my first foray into elite dungeons, I spent hours dying with various pickup groups and somehow managed to stumble all the way until elite baal (last map), only to have him 'mysteriously' reset at roughly 5%. *Sigh*

Most peeps you meet in maps before elite jarl (village) would likely be new players, and as such not have the gold to buy pots, gear or simply unfamiliar with the game and how to play their chars well. Once you get to village, elite jarl is where you will meet the more experienced players, and no small number of jokers who intentionally agro other trash mobs while your group is fighting jarl (but oh well, nvm). You should have no problem there. As others have mentioned, all you need is at least one good tank who knows what he/she is doing and as a dps class, you won't have much issues unless you go around looking for trouble. (refer above example)

So don't despair! And I suppose a guild helps as well if you really can't abide pugs.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

You'll need a good warrior to be the tank. Most Rogues and Sorcs die in a few hits while doing elite. It's actually very normal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, i am a lvl 16 tank and have actually had very good luck at The elite Jarl boss, i have only died twice there, so if u need any help, just ask me

-IGN: Meleexprt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Thanks guys, I think the advise about having a good tank is critical. What keeps happening is that apparently I hit so hard that the mobs always end up coming after me and they kill me. So to avoid this I tend to be shy about using my skills and also keep a good distance between myself and the mobs. And then there are the warriors...yes I believe they are supposed to go in first, but instead they tend to stand around waiting until I lead the way into battle. And if I am stubborn and stand there too, then within 15 or 20 seconds everyone just leaves the dungeon and I am left there by myself. This happens over and over and one time just to see how long it would take I kept repeating this process and it went on for about 20 minutes until I finally found a tank who would lead the way.

I'm going to try running past the first 2 dungeons to get the the third and see what happens. I have the gale force (wind) skill, so that tends to help distract the mobs long enough for me to run past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I guess I should add, your health seems scary low to me for running elite maps. In theory you should be a back line DPS class that doesn't get hit, but you've seen that's not the reality in PUGs. Normally I'd say gear up a little, but level cap is increasing in next update so that might be a waste of gold. So I'd say just fireball-stun your way to elite Village and Jarl your butt off until the update. Maybe you'll get a lucky drop or at least something you can sell.

Oh and just my opinion Gale Force doesn't work well in elite maps. It does too little damage to matter and since it blows mobs away from your supposed tank, it can get you killed. Gale Force was great for leveling and stuff like Hauntlet herding, but all it does on Elite maps is get you unwanted aggro. I did find it useful in running to elite Village, but that's about it.

But... if you just want to do elite maps the old fashioned way (ie. not just Jarl runs), then hey I'm game if you can use another mage! Or I can take my gimpy rogue lol. Also for the record, I think the tank should go in first to take the alpha hit too.
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakiniku View Post
    But... if you just want to do elite maps the old fashioned way (ie. not just Jarl runs), then hey I'm game if you can use another mage! Or I can take my gimpy rogue lol. Also for the record, I think the tank should go in first to take the alpha hit too.
    Sure, I'd like to put together a party to finish all the elite maps and kill all the bosses to get the achievements. What's your IGN? Mine is same as my forum name.

Also, does your mage have freeze skill? I don't, but I was told it was needed to kill the elite boss in the gold mine dungeon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

IGN is Yakiniku. Feel free to add me. My play time is sporadic lately because one of my kids is really sick, but if I'm on I can usually hook up for a couple of elite maps.

Yes, my mage has Frost Bolt. Funny enough, I've not tried to perma-freeze Ghul since I've only seen the non-elite version, but I've heard about it too.
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I got up to the elite village map and did a few runs and got my first elite chest, a silver one, and got 2 pinks in it! One of them was a really good one, Clever Demonologist Cap of Fitness, 60k in the CS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Tell everyone to skip everything and run straight to the bosses. Don't waste time and health potions on the scrubs. As far as unlocking, just rin through to the end of each map to unlock them. Doing this in a party of clan members is probably best so you don't mess up others that want to play the whole map. That's my advice.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi All, reviving this old thread.

Obviously as it is after the PvP update, lvl20 is required for elite map.
    First of all, I can access any elite dungeon. Is this a bug? Everyone here talks about running through to unlock the next dungeon, but I can skip straight to the village if I want.

2nd of all, I've tried one elite map, the aqueducts. It was SO DIFFICULT! I chose this one because I wan into a warrior and mage (i'm a rogue). The we died quite a few times, but the warrior played his role well so we finished the map while clearing every mob and boss in the level. We were all level 20.
    Shadowina | Rogue, level 26

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Zaak View Post
    Hi All, reviving this old thread.

Obviously as it is after the PvP update, lvl20 is required for elite map.
    First of all, I can access any elite dungeon. Is this a bug? Everyone here talks about running through to unlock the next dungeon, but I can skip straight to the village if I want.

2nd of all, I've tried one elite map, the aqueducts. It was SO DIFFICULT! I chose this one because I wan into a warrior and mage (i'm a rogue). The we died quite a few times, but the warrior played his role well so we finished the map while clearing every mob and boss in the level. We were all level 20.
    that not bug. sts change the sistem. when level 16 cap you cant just go straight to elite map what you want, you must finising previous map before enter next map but after level 21 cap you can just go straight to map what you want to enter without finising previous map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default Getting legendary items from elite dungeons??

What gear do you use when you play elite?
    add me on steam:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053834348
    AL ign: Neutronius [War] Pixelcrusher [Rog] Hyperious [Sorc] PL: Prototypedwar [main] (+ a few alts)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Prototypedwar View Post
    What gear do you use when you play elite?
    Hey sorry for such a late reply.

I've been cashing up and bought the best rogue gear. I've only had this gear for the past 4 days. I've lso noticed that gaining exp from lvl20 -> 21 is VERY slow compared to 19 -> 20

Equip:

- Agile Lifethief of Potency
    - Agile Ranger Cloak of Will
    - Agile Ranger Leather of Securiy
    - Spellbound band of potency
    - Divine Brooch of Savvy

Stats:

Name:  Shadowina stats.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  32.4 KB

Since my previous post I've been mainly doing Elite Jarl runs as they are easy and people generally know what they're doing. It's difficult to get a part togethe to complete all the achievements so I stick to pick up parties which makes other levels hard to complete. I've tried elite Rooks Nest a few times but everyone I get matched up with always wants to play through and kill all monsters, so I stick with them and it takes too long and so many deaths. Due to this, Baal doesn't drop much.
    Shadowina | Rogue, level 26

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I played Elite Rooks with you earlier, Shadowina.
    You MUST kill a certain number of enemies or Bael won't appear.
    The same is true of Mardrom in the tower.
    You can just run to Jarl, however, and he will always be there.