Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: elite red dragon tanking guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Default elite red dragon tanking guide

This guide discusses the elite red dragon battle and how best to tank the boss. Although this discussion focuses on the elite battle, the techniques are certainly applicable to the normal red dragon fight as well. And the discussion centers on a bear as the tank, but I expect the basics to eventually apply to rhino as well. (Even the hardest core rhino players haven't gotten to 76 quite yet....)

Overview
    The elite red dragon battle is open only to level 76 players. It takes place in a zone called the "red dragon slayer" and can be hosted. Like all elite battles, this one features a strong boss and no potions.

The battle is against the "elite red dragon" and several waves of minions. Upon entering the area, the dragon appears and a bunch of small black mage creatures. All attack the party. The other waves are triggered by the health level of the dragon. Once the dragon's health is 1/4 down, the dragon flies off the screen and the second wave appears. This wave is a bunch of fire creatures (the big stone-looking guys). The dragon lands back down and continues fighting, pushing away the party. The third and final wave comes when the dragon is at half health and this time consists of staff mages. The dragon once again flies off and lands, pushing the party again. From then on it's a normal battle until the end.

Battlefield
    The battlefield is a large crater. The dragon first appears in the center, and lava pits are opened at random positions on the field by meteor strikes during the arrival of the second and third waves. The lava pits do the usual damage to any player passing through them.

Name:  battlefield empty.png
Views: 2746
Size:  166.2 KB

Significant Factors
    The dragon has a lot of health and the party has no potions. This means everyone's lives are in the hands of the mages, whose primary focus will be keeping the party's health up. Additionally, the waves of minions can do significant damage, especially when they first appear and are most numerous. Finally, the red dragon flying off and landing creates two complications: target is lost and must be restablished after it lands, and the landing push tends to scatter the party around the battlefield.

Strategy Overview
    The strategy I discuss here is based on my experience, which is primarily with random pick-up games. This battle isn't that hard if the party stays disciplined and sticks to the plan. And the party doesn't have to be all elixired up to be successful either.

The most important goals of the battle are:
    • Keep party alive via healing, buffs and debuffs
    • Keep party together, especially through the dragon's landing push
    • Hold aggro on the tank so healing can keep up with damage

Party Composition
    I have found that one bear acting as tank is the best. There should be at least 2 mages to handle the healing. The last two slots can be birds (to speed the battle along with damage) or only one bird and a third mage for extra support. I have found little value in multiple tanks. Likewise, it's pretty hard to do this battle with only one mage, so if you want to try it, bring a really good one.

Gear
    Not surprisingly, survivability is a big deal with no potions. So the tank should wear the tankiest gear he has. I have had good success with the savage scythe set with either shield or egg. Mages seem to do best with wand sets for the extra armor. Birds seem to do ok with bows in a well-executing party, and the extra damage over talon is a nice boost.

Elixirs
    While having elixirs certainly won't hurt anything, they aren't necessary. I have done some runs with a few on thrashers/daily combos, and the battle does go faster, but not by a huge amount. More importantly, I've done a bunch of runs without thrasher/combo users and it's gone just fine. Of course, it's hard to find a true no-elixir party in the daily blessing era, but I had only a 1.25 damage and teamed up with others with lesser damage or armor elixirs and found we could win reliably.

Battle: Setup
    You want the battle to take place near the entrance to the crater. This is good for several reasons. First, it means you don't have to worry about walking around the lava pools that appear. Second, and more importantly, this area is the easiest for the party to stay together through the minion waves and the dragon's landing push. Third, the dragon's movements can be controlled more easily, again helping keep the party together. Everyone needs to stay within the mages' healing range, so anything that keeps the party near each other is a good thing.

The party starts by all collecting together near the entrance along one of the sides. The goal is to keep the battle in this area and orient the action along the ideal battle line (see picture).

Name:  battlefield start.png
Views: 2686
Size:  133.3 KB

The reason for staying on the line is that the dragon's landing push will affect the entire party. However, it always pushes the players striaght back from the dragon. If everyone is standing on the indicated line when the push happens, they will end up travelling straight back only a short distance before the wall stops them. More importantly, the party will all stay together through the push.

Battle: First wave
    The tank (or anyone) runs from the start point halfway to the center of the crater then immediately back to the start point. The dragon will appear after a few seconds and charge the party. It's very important that everyone stays put and does not move out to meet the dragon. This is the most critical part of the battle, where the positioning of the dragon is handled. It takes a little doing to get the dragon down to the battle line, so rushing out to meet it only means more ground to cover to get it down to the battle line.

The party buffs up as soon as dragon starts to charge. The first wave of minions will actually hit the party first, so it's important to be at full defensive strength to withstand the initial onslaught. The dragon will stop at its attack range, about 8 meters or so. The party should target the dragon for the entire battle and ignore the minions, who will die "naturally" from AOE attacks.

Name:  battlefield dragon off line.png
Views: 2749
Size:  134.0 KB

The tank's job at this point is to move the dragon onto the ideal battle line. He does this by getting aggro via taunt, then running down out of the dragon's range to draw him out of the crater. The dragon takes a second or two to react, so the tank needs to move, stop, and allow the dragon to charge forward. He's not very fast, so just wait for him to advance down to the line and then run towards him to stop his progress.

Name:  battlefield move dragon.jpg
Views: 2865
Size:  44.7 KB

With the dragon in position, the tank now wants to keep himself and the dragon on the line. This is easy as long as tank has aggro, but if he loses it the dragon will face others in the party. This is why it's very important for the whole party to stay on the battle line. Not only does that help absorb the upcoming push, it guarantees that the dragon doesn't wander off the ideal battle line.

Caution: The dragon will reset if it goes too far away from the crater. The battle should take place just at the outer rim of the crater to avoid accidental resets. The battle can move a little more down, but not too much.

Name:  battlefield reset line.png
Views: 2735
Size:  131.2 KB

Battle: Second wave
    When the dragon has lost 1/4 health, it will fly off. All party members will lose target and could possibly switch to targeting minions accidentally by hitting an offensive skill. If this happens, quickly turn off auto attack to avoid moving off the battle line. Anyone who does inadvertently move should immediately run back to stand on the ideal battle line. The dragon will land and the second wave of minions will attack, followed by the dragon's landing push. The entire party will fly back (I've never seen anyone dodge this push), and crash against the back wall. If everyone was in the right place, the entire party will be together along the battle line up against the wall, and can simply re-establish target on the dragon and continue the battle.

Name:  battlefield blast.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  30.9 KB

Anyone who got blasted away needs to run immediately back to the party. Hopefully the player holding aggro wasn't the one to get pushed off course, because this will move the dragon out of position. The worst case scenario is that the player with aggro goes flying away from the crater, drawing the dragon along to a certain reset.

Battle: Third wave
    The third wave begins when dragon reaches 1/2 health and is just like the second wave. Party is knocked back, recovers and continues battle along the ideal battle line. As before, anyone flung away needs to run back to the right position. From here on out, there are no more waves, no more pushes and no more complications. The party should be able to just ride the battle out to victory.

Dragon Movement
    The dragon will not only chase a player out of range as described before, but will also inch back away from the player holding aggro as the battle goes on. This can be annoying if it backs into the crater and over the lava pools. Fortunately, the tank can control this movement by getting aggro and moving the dragon's orientation. By turning it to face him, the tank can "aim" the dragon's tail at the side wall and pin it there as it backs away. Of course, if the tank stays on the ideal battle line the whole time, the dragon will inch back along this line into the wall without any additional effort.

Conclusions
    I have found that this battle plan works remarkably well. The damage output from the dragon isn't so bad, so really if you can keep the party together and fighting in the right place as I described, you should be able to win pretty regularly. One thing to note is that I maxed all my buffs/debuffs to 9, used a defensive gear set and my black dragon elite vanity ring combo, so basically I had every possible defensive measure working for me. I'm not sure how much harder it is to stay alive with fewer of these advantages stacked up. However, my sense of it is that tanking effectively against this boss isn't all that difficult.

Of course it's key that you have good mages to keep you alive to pull all this off, but I've found that once you survive the first 15 seconds of a new wave of minions the battle is pretty well back in hand again. If you're going to lose, it will be during the start of one of the waves where the party either has several members die or gets scattered by the landing push. If you can get past those two minion/push steps, you're pretty much home free.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Fusionstrike For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

nice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Multibird View Post
    nice
    very nice, thanks!

One additional tip is that if the mage(s) die, the run is so short that they can respawn at the beginning and get back into the fight before the Dragon wipes out the party. So people shouldn't quit when the mages are wiped out, as they only ned to hold on for a few seconds while the mages respwawn and get back into the fight. The location of the battle is so close that it really helps survive a long fight.
    EdtheEagle - Lvl 76 bird a.k.a. "Yeti fodder".
    Curiositee - Lvl 76 mage a.k.a. farmer alt
    Edthe Rhino - Lvl 76 Rhino / Gold Mule ha ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

1 and a half days of release and already a very detailed guide. AWESOMENESS!!!

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Awesome Guide! I have found the difference between a group that gets it and one that doesn't is like night and day. As a damage bird, in a good team I can almost take a nap while firing off the damage. One thing I have noticed about teams that get wiped is that the mages seem to panic and stop healing. In a strong team, a mage will heal after every skill, no matter what, but when a player dies, I will see a mage go to Rev without getting out the heal first then another player will die and the mage will try to rev again, with no heals in between. This leads to a domino effect wiping everyone including the mage.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Thanks alot !
    I pretty like the fact that trasher is not necessary anymore
    Proud Co-Leader of Xplict
    Sciazaratek: lv. 75 str/dex polarbear;
    Sciazarcher : lv.71 pure dex duck ;
    Sciazmage : lv. 75 pure int enchanter ;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Awesome Guide! I have found the difference between a group that gets it and one that doesn't is like night and day. As a damage bird, in a good team I can almost take a nap while firing off the damage. .
    this is so true. With my bird in a good team, i can pretty much avoid any major damage and just keep firing off everything i have at the Dragon and not worry too much. n a bad team, i end up dying very often and people seem to scatter and then rage quit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopper For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    very nice, thanks!

One additional tip is that if the mage(s) die, the run is so short that they can respawn at the beginning and get back into the fight before the Dragon wipes out the party. So people shouldn't quit when the mages are wiped out, as they only ned to hold on for a few seconds while the mages respwawn and get back into the fight. The location of the battle is so close that it really helps survive a long fight.
    Yes, very good point. This guide only focuses on the tanking bit since that's what I know, but the mages have some work to do that's all just, ahem, magic to me. I encourage anyone else with tips on this battle to chime in.

Also, no rude comments on my mad MS paint skills. I guess raising that skill to 9 really paid off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

lol i love the pictures
    Jcyee: 76 PL Bear | 41 AL Warrior | 36 DL Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Bump deserved.
    Proud Co-Leader of Xplict
    Sciazaratek: lv. 75 str/dex polarbear;
    Sciazarcher : lv.71 pure dex duck ;
    Sciazmage : lv. 75 pure int enchanter ;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

sorry if I was not pleasant this morning but don't show up to a game with no elixers dying right away or yelling at me when I'm the only mage yes I can revive but I'm not Jesus I try Im have to keep myself alive I say by a thrasher stick with the same team and get it done yesterday I did 20 and a half hour today its been 5 in an hour and a half my death count has gone up 57 it's ridiculous.
    and why do I end up looking like a vampire once this is done that makes no sense

16. The Following User Says Thank You to modredd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

This dungeon seems really cool, how's the drop rate?

I'm almost 74 so I won't be there anytime soon haha
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Yesterday we saw 2 elite staffs drop at the same time. Both were rerolls. It was the only elites we saw in 15 runs. I got a diamond drop to me (no reroll).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    this is so true. With my bird in a good team, i can pretty much avoid any major damage and just keep firing off everything i have at the Dragon and not worry too much. n a bad team, i end up dying very often and people seem to scatter and then rage quit.
    Yep. And for some reason, one dude in a PUG earlier today was trying to tell me it was my fault the party kept dying and calling me a noob. I'm a full dex bird, for crying out loud! I'm doing my job, which is to sit there and attack the crap out of the dragon. What were you doing? And by the way, he (or she, maybe) wasn't exactly pulling off miraculous feats of wonder either. It's a team effort.

Man...every now and then I really wish I could reach through the internets and slap someone upside the head.
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Awesome guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaieagle View Post
    Awesome guide!
    This needs to be mandatory reading for anyone taking the quest. They should be linked here automatically from the game.

Too many players (who are Lvl 76 of course but act like they dont know how to play) come in, stand wherever they want and blast away, getting killed and out of heal/rev range. And then they quit the first time they die, leaving the party shorthanded.

I've even seen people go stand in lava pits in the circle, like that will not hurt them faster.

Also, you do not need thrashers to beat the dragon. Some people think unless you wait for a perfect team of five thrashers, they just quit the game and keep jumping back in and out of your game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Finally got in a group to fight the elite red dragon. It wasn't too bad especially with your tips. It's similar to the regular red dragon but its harder when your mana drains out so fast.

Mages can't use mana shield otherwise your mana will be empty & u can't heal or use any other skills. My deaths are going up in this quest that's for sure. XD
    Last edited by slaveleia; 12-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

Very good!
    Love the pics

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Well Done !