Thread: Development transparency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default Development transparency

Not sure how productive this thread will be and I hope it's not misinterpreted as anything negative.

I'd love to understand development a little better. Like, what are some of the largest hurdles STS deals with in their pursuit of creating their games. Is it keeping existing players playing? Getting new players? Man power to engineer the game itself? Financing?

I'm sure there aren't many players who wouldn't appreciate this sort of insight and I can't imagine such understanding would be of anything except a benefit to the company and its consumers.

I believe that the forums are not simply a place for players to theory craft, but also a place where development can engage the community on a closer level and wouldn't mind seeing them more involved. This opposed to the often simple forum policing they often make appearances as. If this is impossible, be assured, I will understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

You should take some business class. Most of this is explained to you. Its also a challenging job that keeps you on your toes.

Also most places operate on a 80/20-20/80 model.
    Lv76 Full Dex Bird Supernamek, Lv76 Full Int Nuke Mage Supersongokou, Lv76 Tank Bear Darkpiccolo, Lv76 Tank Support Rhino Darknamek, Lv76 Full Dex DOT Fox Kakkorot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    You should take some business class. Most of this is explained to you. Its also a challenging job that keeps you on your toes.

Also most places operate on a 80/20-20/80 model.
    That's great info. What game companies have you worked with and what projects have you developed ? I'm sure it's intensive but if you could find time to elaborate your expertise a little that'd be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The 80/20 model is a very basic business tool that in this case would suggest 80% of the profits come from 20% of the player base, which in my eyes is an accurate assumption.

As far as their financing, and employment situation, STS is a private company and isn't required to release any financial statements to the public, and I doubt that releasing their quarterly statements would benifet them in any positive way either.

If the company netted over a million in 2012 (they probably did) and the average forumer had access to that information it'd be a safe bet to say you'd see an influx of 'STS is greedy' complaints, and pointless arguments.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a little transparency; I've been fairly critical of some recent decisions and would like to have an idea of where their heads are at. After all I am a paying customer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzid View Post
    Having said that I wouldn't mind a little transparency; I've been fairly critical of some recent decisions and would like to have an idea of where their heads are at.
    This sentiment really surprises me. In my opinion, STS has been very transparent and communicates with players via the forum all the time! Besides the forum, there is also the website, Facebook, email, and support tickets. They also recently posted an interview which discusses some of the business aspects. As far as I can tell, STS communicates with players more than most developers.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80s, when there was NO communication between developer and player for mainstream games. If you didn't like a decision back then, you could get out a piece of paper and a pencil. You'd put a stamp on your letter and send it off to some faraway place - and then you'd be lucky if you recieved a form letter response a few months later.

After all I am a paying customer.
    You pay for a product, and you recieve a product. I don't see why you're entitled to anything more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

The 80/20 model is a very basic business tool that in this case would suggest 80% of the profits come from 20% of the player base, which in my eyes is an accurate assumption.

As far as their financing, and employment situation, STS is a private company and isn't required to release any financial statements to the public, and I doubt that releasing their quarterly statements would benifet them in any positive way either.

If the company netted over a million in 2012 (they probably did) and the average forumer had access to that information it'd be a safe bet to say you'd see an influx of 'STS is greedy' complaints, and pointless arguments.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a little transparency; I've been fairly critical of some recent decisions and would like to have an idea of where their heads are at. After all I am a paying customer.
    a good mix of logic and intelligent speculation. I can understand them being unwilling to discuss financial stability. I'll take any insight someone is willing to provide from the inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eviljack View Post

You pay for a product, and you recieve a product. I don't see why you're entitled to anything more.
    Well I think if a company is interested in getting MORE of your money through an evolving product like this game, it's a fair assumption your customers are going to want clarity/confidence regarding future investments. Seems very reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I think ur just ranting because u didnt get what u expected from the passive abilitys. Funny thing is that ur rant shows how open they are. STS has always listened to constructive feedback.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DataPunk For This Useful Post: