Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinded by dps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

weird i don't die easy and my main is a mage also. maybe use a pet with more mana and hp? i use malison dont seem to have any problems. i use a few pots but i make it up and some in the stuff i loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I actually already did. I caused serious damage and kept dying when the boss would come after me every single time. No matter how much damage I caused it would still take a minute or two to kill any elite boss, and so during that time I would keep dying. Plus I would end up spending a fortune on health pots and mana pots which made farming the elite dungeons unprofitable.

Now I got the heal skill maxed out which means not only does it heal me, but it increases my mana too, and increases both health & mana regen by considerable amounts for 10 seconds. Since the heal skill cools down in 15 seconds, it means 66% of the time I have much improved health & mana regen. Mix that with Flap Jack pet equiped, and I almost never have to use any mana pots, and only need health pots when I'm under heavy attack.

And Gale Force helps me survive situations where mobs come after me. It just pushes everyone away, knocks them down for a few seconds, and gives me a nice burst of speed to get away.

I also believe in PvP this build will be superior as you can't use pots in PvP. And Gale Force will be useful for CTF.
    Mains- PL Mage: Azefekie (Runazeisback)
    AL Mage: GodsTouch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

BTW, Gale Force is indeed very useful for AoE and clearing mobs. It actually causes the same damage as Fireball. But it's not that useful for bosses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

agreed, i just know my skill dmg goes with dmg. not dps or bonus dmg
    My theory (which is based on nothing but just some common sense) is that skill damage is based on this formula:

skill dmg = dmg x bonus dmg

And then each skill is based on a multiplier of this amount.

Just makes sense, as the words "bonus dmg" indicate it stacks on top of dmg. But I would love for a developer to confirm this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

how wouldn't it be the same on bosses if it does the same dmg...
    BTW, Gale Force is indeed very useful for AoE and clearing mobs. It actually causes the same damage as Fireball. But it's not that useful for bosses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Now I got the heal skill maxed out which means not only does it heal me, but it increases my mana too, and increases both health & mana regen by considerable amounts for 10 seconds. Since the heal skill cools down in 15 seconds, it means 66% of the time I have much improved health & mana regen. Mix that with Flap Jack pet equiped, and I almost never have to use any mana pots, and only need health pots when I'm under heavy attack.
    The heal skill for sorcerers is really pretty bad, and you definitely shouldn't max it out, unless you're specifically aiming for a support role. That mana regen buff for instance is giving you 50 mana (5m/s for 10s) every time you use it, which is less that every 15 sec since you have to charge for mana heal. 50 mana is laughable for a sorcerer. Isn't there somewhere you could better spend a skill point than regening less than half the cost of using a skill every 17s or so?

Quote Originally Posted by azefekie View Post
    how wouldn't it be the same on bosses if it does the same dmg...
    Gale needs to be charged or aimed directly at the boss. An uncharged fireball will still fire directly at the boss. That's a big reason why fb is the better skill IMO.
    Last edited by Royce; 12-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

I use lightning,fireball, ice and time shift. found gale pretty useless for that reason ( have to aim it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    The heal skill for sorcerers is really pretty bad, and you definitely shouldn't max it out, unless you're specifically aiming for a support role. That mana regen buff for instance is giving you 50 mana (5m/s for 10s) every time you use it, which is less that every 15 sec since you have to charge for mana heal. 50 mana is laughable for a sorcerer. Isn't there somewhere you could better spend a skill point than regening less than half the cost of using a skill every 17s or so?

Gale needs to be charged or aimed directly at the boss. An uncharged fireball will still fire directly at the boss. That's a big reason why fb is the better skill IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Point is damadge over dps unless your a support sorcere class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rushorgtfo View Post
    No way of knowing without a Devs input because all items that add damadge add dex and all items that ad dex add damadge And bonus but my guess is both.

Either way doesn't matter all items that add the most damadge also add the most bonus damadge aka adding most dex + damadge
    Actually Skill damage is Your Damage * Variable = Skill Damage.
    Where the Variable is different depending on the spell. Also note i say Damage not DPS.
    See below (sorry i'm still just 20)

With my Coldscope of Brutality I am the following
    232% Bonus damage
    138.2 Damage
    155.5 DPS

The Variables are as such
    Fireball / Gale Force 1.35
    Lightning Strike / Frostbolt / Time Shift 1.80
    Lifegiver 3.60
    Lightning +15% 2.07

Fireball is 166-207 or Avg damage of 186.5 / 1.35 = 138.148
    Lightning Strike +15% is 254-318 or avg damage 286 / 2.07 = 138.16

With Clever Flamestrike of Force
    234% Bonus Damage
    129 Damage
    232.3 DPS

Fireball is 155-194 or Avg damage of 174.5 / 1.35 = 129.2
    Lightning strike + 15% is 237-297 or Avg damage of 267 / 2.07 = 128.98

and so on. Lightning +15% ratio is also 1.8*1.15=2.07. So anyone can take the average damage from there skills, divide by your Damage and find the Ratio. Since we are all theory rafting here anyway we know there are hidden decimals or strange rounding things that STS does so that would explain e decimal variance. also, I think each level changes the ratio for each spell, but I have tested it yet. I will at 21.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmoxKramer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

What exactly then is bonus damage? I'm thinking maybe that's the multiplier that determines your damage based on the damage stat of the weapon/ring/amulet??

For example, weapon has 70 dmg stat, your bonus damage stat is 200%, so you get 140 dmg when you equip it?

Edit: NVM, I tried this and the math doesn't work.

What exactly is "Bonus Dmg" then?
    Last edited by Energizeric; 12-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Bonus damage is built into the Damage. If you take a flame strike rod, and divide DPS / Damage you get Attacks per second (Atk/s) you will see all Flamestrike rods do 1.8 atk/s, while other rods/guns do 1.1 or 1.3 atk/s. so if you take 90 Dps Flamestrike /1.8 atk/s the avg damage of a Flamestrike is 49/50 damage. So the average damage of your (weapon + damage from ring/amulet)*bonus damage = approximately your Damage. Approximate because it is within a couple points, there must be someone else there that STS isn't telling us...I'm hoping to get a response from them on this...

Edit - you have to be careful cause weapons now say 90 DPS, not damage. So you apply the damage bonus to the average damage of weapons, not the DPS. The important part is you can get the atk/s of a weapon by DPS/Damage. also. There is a difference between attacks per second and attack speed. Attack Speed = 1 / Attacks Per Second

Since Damage and DPS are spelled out specifically I'll try to update my google doc file with the Atk/s of different weapons. Etc.
    Last edited by CosmoxKramer; 12-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default Blinded by dps

I thought that the more damage the better, you don't stand there and dps enemies was common knowledge? haha

Just an average signature

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreuefesie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreuefesie View Post
    I thought that the more damage the better, you don't stand there and dps enemies was common knowledge? haha

Damadge is better some people argue or make up formulas to make themselves not feel stupid for believing dps was the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

It depends on the build. Someone said, they run 4 offensive skills. If you ran just 3 with one being the long cd time shift then you spend more time spamming your regular attack and less spells casts, so higher DPS is better. With 4 offensive skills you won't have any or much time where you are waiting on skills to cool down so higher Damage is better.

also if you are just a cheap or poor player then higher DPS is your way to go because you can get decent DPS from spamming attack and using less skills, and therefore less pots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Empower ability under Life giver gives you 9.5% mana regen, last time I calculated it (at lvl 16 before expansion). But if I recall, it is doing more than that now. Before I respecced to all Off abilities it would return about 357ish mana ( I'm at 2800), which means it is around 12.75%. But at lvl 20 life giver is 105 mana or 3.75% of 2800 mana or net about 9% mana. If u wanted to add the Recharge Mana skill, then you get around 55-58 mana over the 10 seconds which is another 2% on average recharge. Pretty week. I wish they would take a look at both of these skills. Hard to justify them.

Thanks, for the thanks on my previous post too Royce. I forgot to mention that DPS isn't a true calculation of DPS either. You need to include Crit and Crit damage. So take your DPS and multiply it by 1+ (crit%* 200% damage from crits). So if you had 200 DPS and 10% Crit, then 200*(1+(10%*200%))=240 true DPS
    Last edited by CosmoxKramer; 12-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

My theory (which is based on nothing but just some common sense) is that skill damage is based on this formula:

skill dmg = dmg x bonus dmg

And then each skill is based on a multiplier of this amount.

Just makes sense, as the words "bonus dmg" indicate it stacks on top of dmg. But I would love for a developer to confirm this.
    yh i agree with u.
    Before update as there were two weaps type:
    #1: increases Str bt decreases dps &
    #2: decreases Str bt increases dps.
    so i thought skill is dependent mainly on bonus dmg% bt today when i equip avalenche veil of will over mighty troll ; my bonus dmg% remained same nd dps increases bt dmg waz mch lowered. bt then i saw in skill page that dmg of Cs nd Wm is also lowered.
    So i can conclude that dmg nd bonus dmg% is interrelated with skill dmg.
    Also using 2h weapon dmg is higher bt using sword nd shield u get whopping armour. i got +89 armour nd +10dex from avalenche.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

have you ever done pvp? weapon dmg means nothing. I will use a skill combo before i touch my weapon for help. you said "higher DPS is better" then you said "if you're just a cheap or poor player DPS is the way to go" lol that doesn't make sense. listen guys dps means nothing especially if you are a mage (AEO) or plan on doing pvp when it's released. The only reason you should want higher DPS is if you're a support player (warrior just for tanking, mage just for support) rouge all around is a good damage class STS did really good there IMO.

EDIT- the time i use my 4 offensive skills one has already cooled down ( light or ice ) then its easy to go back and forth. dps is just there if i'm bored.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoxKramer View Post
    It depends on the build. Someone said, they run 4 offensive skills. If you ran just 3 with one being the long cd time shift then you spend more time spamming your regular attack and less spells casts, so higher DPS is better. With 4 offensive skills you won't have any or much time where you are waiting on skills to cool down so higher Damage is better.

also if you are just a cheap or poor player then higher DPS is your way to go because you can get decent DPS from spamming attack and using less skills, and therefore less pots
    Last edited by azefekie; 12-23-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I agree, in the majority of cases, I would take dmg over dps. However, all of the daggers you've compared have nothing on ALP. But I agree, too many people go about "stat page padding". I think it's an even bigger problem when it comes to pets. Not enough people actually look at the usefulness of pets apart from what they do to their stat page. The biggest example that comes to mind is malison. In my opinion, it's the most overated pet and I consider it 2nd tier. It does have a great passive and also gives some general survivability, but otherwise, meh.

P.S. I feel sorry for the poor soul who had to pay the tax on the 3m seekers... even more sorry for the person who bought them at 3m...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Hello folks. Sorry to crash your party. But if you aren't spamming the heck out of your autoattack button in between skill cooldowns, you're obviously going to think skills make up for most of your damage.

They do not.

I'm not gonna release a full theorycraft explanation of autoattack damage here. But let's just say-- I think you need to try hitting the AA button ALL THE TIME- simultaneously if you can manage. You'll notice a difference.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

With regards to PvP, that is slightly more true-- DPS matters far less than skills because your target will actually be moving around and in and out of range.

But the top-tier PvPers aren't going to only be hurling skills at you. Especially given the fact that all AAs are autoaimed, you are going to be taking plenty of AA damage as well. More so if you're rooted/snared/stunned. How hard your team or you alone can burst can make or break a match, and 50 more damage per second is going to add up multiplied across a team of 5.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Rush who hired you to spam guild in al?