Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinded by dps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by primaeva View Post
    Hello folks. Sorry to crash your party. But if you aren't spamming the heck out of your autoattack button in between skill cooldowns, you're obviously going to think skills make up for most of your damage.

They do not.

I'm not gonna release a full theorycraft explanation of autoattack damage here. But let's just say-- I think you need to try hitting the AA button ALL THE TIME- simultaneously if you can manage. You'll notice a difference.
    With regards to PvP, that is slightly more true-- DPS matters far less than skills because your target will actually be moving around and in and out of range.

But the top-tier PvPers aren't going to only be hurling skills at you. Especially given the fact that all AAs are autoaimed, you are going to be taking plenty of AA damage as well. More so if you're rooted/snared/stunned. How hard your team or you alone can burst can make or break a match, and 50 more damage per second is going to add up multiplied across a team of 5.

Your so right !!!! Cause in Pvp it matters cause in Pvp u need the highest amount if damadge but In pve it's ok to have small damadge? Lmao I laugh at you and others. Please be the 50th to make a false theory if it makes you feel smarter for going 100% dps go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Not to add an additional layer of complication to this thread, but a true understanding of the
    value of damage per hit versus dps is difficult to evaluate when there is not a good understanding
    of how armor affects incoming damage. In pl from all accounts armor subtracts from damage.
    So let's take the hypothetical situation of two builds, each with 300 dps, one with two attacks of
    150 per second, and the other with one attack of 300 per second. Add a boss with 100 armor.
    The first build would be doing (150-100) x 2 = 100 true damage per second. The second would
    be doing 300-100 = 200 true damage per second. So the weapon with the higher damage per
    hit wins out. Unfortunately armor does not seem to work like this in al (if you experiment with
    running around levels naked and with armor). Until there is a clear understanding of how armor
    works, the debate over damage per hit versus dps (unless u are an aoe nuke mage) will also
    remain unclear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    Not to add an additional layer of complication to this thread, but a true understanding of the
    value of damage per hit versus dps is difficult to evaluate when there is not a good understanding
    of how armor affects incoming damage. In pl from all accounts armor subtracts from damage.
    So let's take the hypothetical situation of two builds, each with 300 dps, one with two attacks of
    150 per second, and the other with one attack of 300 per second. Add a boss with 100 armor.
    The first build would be doing (150-100) x 2 = 100 true damage per second. The second would
    be doing 300-100 = 200 true damage per second. So the weapon with the higher damage per
    hit wins out. Unfortunately armor does not seem to work like this in al (if you experiment with
    running around levels naked and with armor). Until there is a clear understanding of how armor
    works, the debate over damage per hit versus dps (unless u are an aoe nuke mage) will also
    remain unclear.
    Carapace explained in another thread that everything feeds into a % damage reduction, so it's not at all like PL. X armor = Y% damage reduction, then other damage reduction buffs are added in and that percentage is deducted from incoming damage.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

who's your main in PL? just curious wanna see if you knew what you were doing there. most people who don't do pvp come and make posts about how people should do pvp when they have no idea what to do. i'm pretty sure rush and i know how to pvp being we left PL being some of the top players ever in PL end game pvp. point is we don't plan on doing pve when pvp comes out on AL. You're right spamming you weapon dps is usefull but i promise it's not even close to the dmg that your skills do. I try and tap my weapon dmg one before attacks, i dont expect it to help much but i'm sure when it's all done with it helped some. anyways skills dmg is way better then having dps, so sacrificing some dps for dmg is an easy decision...especially if you're a mage, or plan on being a hardcore pvp player.
    With regards to PvP, that is slightly more true-- DPS matters far less than skills because your target will actually be moving around and in and out of range.

But the top-tier PvPers aren't going to only be hurling skills at you. Especially given the fact that all AAs are autoaimed, you are going to be taking plenty of AA damage as well. More so if you're rooted/snared/stunned. How hard your team or you alone can burst can make or break a match, and 50 more damage per second is going to add up multiplied across a team of 5.
    Mains- PL Mage: Azefekie (Runazeisback)
    AL Mage: GodsTouch

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azefekie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Carapace explained in another thread that everything feeds into a % damage reduction, so it's not at all like PL. X armor = Y% damage reduction, then other damage reduction buffs are added in and that percentage is deducted from incoming damage.
    Hmm interesting. So lets do the same scenario. 300dps, one player with two 150 damage hits per second and the other with one 300 damage hit per second. Say the boss has armor that reduces incoming damage from you by 50%. Then for first player (150x0.5) x 2 = 150 true damage in one second. For the other player (300x0.50) x 1 = 150 true damage per second.

Seems that dps in al is not as fake of a stat as it is in pl. If armor works like this then dps is really a true representative of the damage you do over time. I guess it then just comes down to how much you rely on skill damage versus raw damage from your weapon. I guess if your build relies on damage from skills, use the weapon with the higher skill damage. If you build relies on damage from you weapon, use the weapon with the higest dps. Definitely makes more sense than how armor and damage works in pl. Too bad you cannot find out how a weapon will affect your skill damage until after you buy it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

But let's just say-- I think you need to try hitting the AA button ALL THE TIME- simultaneously if you can manage. You'll notice a difference.
    Yes, this is what I do. I hit my fireball, then lightning, then spam the attack button until those 2 skills cool down (around 3 seconds). Then repeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azefekie View Post
    have you ever done pvp? weapon dmg means nothing. I will use a skill combo before i touch my weapon for help. you said "higher DPS is better" then you said "if you're just a cheap or poor player DPS is the way to go" lol that doesn't make sense.
    Weapon damage damage is important because that and bonus dam % is used to calculate your Damage and your damage directly impacts your skill damage. Also my comment about cheapskate or poor people was abou people not wanted to spam pots and just use 4 offensive skills. They can go spam their weapon, which means they should focus on higher DPS weapons. People that don't mind spending money on pots can get higher damage weapons (like guns) and can just use an all or nearly all skill rotation like me and you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    Too bad you cannot find out how a weapon will affect your skill damage until after you buy it
    But you can...

Take the average damage of each skill
    Divide that # by your Damage
    Use this Second # to * by any Damage value a new weapon would give to show you the new average damage of your given skills

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CosmoxKramer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

[QUOTE=CosmoxKramer;905268]But you can...

Take the average damage of each skill
    Divide that # by your Damage
    Use this Second # to * by any Damage value a new weapon would give to show you the new average damage of your given skills[/QUO

Ahh. Thanks! Finally penetrated my thick skull. So the damage indicator under str for warrior,
    dex for rogue, and int for mage directly correlates to skill damage via a different multiplier depending
    on the particular skill. Very good to know and made sense when I tested out a few weapons.
    Thank you very much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Not a problem bud. I have been spending more time trying to figure out how things like this or item stats,etc are calculated, than playing. Stuck at 50% to 21 yet lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Rush who hired you to spam guild in al?
    Haha I found out. Zau has been kicked. You have lost any pro or elite status with me. Sry man but it's your fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Haha I found out. Zau has been kicked. You have lost any pro or elite status with me. Sry man but it's your fault.

Yo relax idk you. I know I'm cute but I ain't looking for no relationship I'm taken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

who's your main in PL? just curious wanna see if you knew what you were doing there. most people who don't do pvp come and make posts about how people should do pvp when they have no idea what to do. i'm pretty sure rush and i know how to pvp being we left PL being some of the top players ever in PL end game pvp. point is we don't plan on doing pve when pvp comes out on AL. You're right spamming you weapon dps is usefull but i promise it's not even close to the dmg that your skills do. I try and tap my weapon dmg one before attacks, i dont expect it to help much but i'm sure when it's all done with it helped some. anyways skills dmg is way better then having dps, so sacrificing some dps for dmg is an easy decision...especially if you're a mage, or plan on being a hardcore pvp player.
    I haven't played PL. I reached 2.1k in S1/S3 in WoW. I'm sorry. But your "Pocket Legends" expertise, PvE or PvP, is laughable.

EDIT: Alright, that was mean. I meant to say-- I haven't played Pocket Legends, but I've PvPed across many genres and games and the fact stands: Skill Damage matters, but autoattacking has a huge role to play as well, and the highest-level meta involves switching / locking down and bursting one target PvE style. As I said, with a team that knows how to utilize AA damage versus one that doesn't, the former will come up on top. It's all about numbers and min-maxing when the strats are roughly the same.

If it ever appears that is untrue, then the problem is just the quality and quantity of top players, and not the mechanic of any weapon or skill.

I'll look forward to PvP. It's why I got AL really.

Finally: In absolute terms, does your post make any point? In PvE DPS is hands-down the most important stat. As for PvP-- in the first place, according to Rush's screenshots, weapons have roughly the same damage but different DPS stats. The top-tier players will presumably be using the best gear anyway, and not cutting corners because of gold shortage. I don't see why you're saying DPS is a trash stat when it can only improve the damage output even in PvP.
    Last edited by primaeva; 12-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rushorgtfo View Post
    Your so right !!!! Cause in Pvp it matters cause in Pvp u need the highest amount if damadge but In pve it's ok to have small damadge? Lmao I laugh at you and others. Please be the 50th to make a false theory if it makes you feel smarter for going 100% dps go for it.
    ^ Not going to bother. Either discuss fact with me, or you're not changing my mind. To the audience they can either heed the post of a raging kid or someone who's actually run tests. Not my problem.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

lol WoW?.. i'll just ignore that.. why would a pve build with dps be better then a pvp build for skill dmg in a pve map? that makes no sense, obviously if you're stronger in skill dmg you'll do better in pve then if you were dps built lol, same goes for pvp. your dps isn't an AEO your skill damage is, yes having better skill dmg is better then having better dps.

thank for your "WoW" expertise lmao. i heard angry birds was fun you should try it dude.

last, rush isn't a kid but if it makes you feel bigger calling people that i'm sure he doesn't mind. lol
    I haven't played PL. I reached 2.1k in S1/S3 in WoW. I'm sorry. But your "Pocket Legends" expertise, PvE or PvP, is laughable.

EDIT: Alright, that was mean. I meant to say-- I haven't played Pocket Legends, but I've PvPed across many genres and games and the fact stands: Skill Damage matters, but autoattacking has a huge role to play as well, and the highest-level meta involves switching / locking down and bursting one target PvE style. As I said, with a team that knows how to utilize AA damage versus one that doesn't, the former will come up on top. It's all about numbers and min-maxing when the strats are roughly the same.

If it ever appears that is untrue, then the problem is just the quality and quantity of top players, and not the mechanic of any weapon or skill.

I'll look forward to PvP. It's why I got AL really.

Finally: In absolute terms, does your post make any point? In PvE DPS is hands-down the most important stat. As for PvP-- in the first place, according to Rush's screenshots, weapons have roughly the same damage but different DPS stats. The top-tier players will presumably be using the best gear anyway, and not cutting corners because of gold shortage. I don't see why you're saying DPS is a trash stat when it can only improve the damage output even in PvP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

lol WoW?.. i'll just ignore that.. why would a pve build with dps be better then a pvp build for skill dmg in a pve map? that makes no sense, obviously if you're stronger in skill dmg you'll do better in pve then if you were dps built lol, same goes for pvp. your dps isn't an AEO your skill damage is, yes having better skill dmg is better then having better dps.

thank for your "WoW" expertise lmao. i heard angry birds was fun you should try it dude.

last, rush isn't a kid but if it makes you feel bigger calling people that i'm sure he doesn't mind. lol
    1) There's no such thing as a "Skill Damage" build. Damage and Attack Speed make for DPS. Your bow can hit as hard as daggers, maybe, but the dagger hits 1.5x as fast = more DPS.

2) Actually, melee attacks ARE AoE. Oh dear. Someone's apparently not even aware about the game he's playing.

I'm stopping here. Waste of breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

I'm sorry. But your "Pocket Legends" expertise, PvE or PvP, is laughable.
    Aze and rush both are very experienced when it comes to PL. I owe many of my PVP deaths to them. Also many of my kills. They are very helpful. I have farmed with rush numerous times in PL and Aze in AL and PVPed with both of them. I'm sure if you had any questions about AL or PL they would be happy to help you, but criticizing them about their skill in a game you have never played, might not be the best idea. Especially with PVP coming soon .

Anyway I know that DPS does play a role while attacking while you wait for your skills to recharge, but I do not see that it makes a considerable difference to your overall damage output. Whereas focusing your damage will do better IMO.

Just an average signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

lmfao AEO is area of effect rofl its skill damage. Also i'm a mage the more you add int, or get a ring or pendant with damage bonus adds to your skill dmg. oh dear i guess you're not sure what your talking about. i'm sure theres some threads you can read to learn how to properly understand STS games. If you need i can help you IG
    1) There's no such thing as a "Skill Damage" build. Damage and Attack Speed make for DPS. Your bow can hit as hard as daggers, maybe, but the dagger hits 1.5x as fast = more DPS.

2) Actually, melee attacks ARE AoE. Oh dear. Someone's apparently not even aware about the game he's playing.

I'm stopping here. Waste of breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

just a heads up not sure if you're aware of this.. "dps" is your weapon dmg ( if you look at your stats) and "damage" is what helps your skills increase in power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreuefesie View Post
    Aze and rush both are very experienced when it comes to PL. I owe many of my PVP deaths to them. Also many of my kills. They are very helpful. I have farmed with rush numerous times in PL and Aze in AL and PVPed with both of them. I'm sure if you had any questions about AL or PL they would be happy to help you, but criticizing them about their skill in a game you have never played, might not be the best idea. Especially with PVP coming soon .

Anyway I know that DPS does play a role while attacking while you wait for your skills to recharge, but I do not see that it makes a considerable difference to your overall damage output. Whereas focusing your damage will do better IMO.
    You're right. You shouldn't criticize someone in a game you've never played. I hope your friend there reads your own advice. Which is why someone implying that I have never PvPed before and should defer myself to their PL PvP experience is really just laughable.

You're also missing the point. There's no such thing as 'focusing on damage' because any increase in damage adds to an increase in DPS. Must I really do the math? It increases skill damage AND autoattack.

As for the joker who can't even spell "AoE" right -- NORMAL ATTACKS HIT MORE THAN ONE TARGET IN A SMALL AREA = AoE.

Welcome to Arcane Legends. And while I normally extend help to those who ask for it, I can't tolerate those who have an OCD to misspell everything, even three-word acronyms. Don't bother adding me, and I'll see you in PvP.

For the poor people who came here for information- TLR, if you're poor or don't mind just DPSing using skills, use a cheap weapon, it's okay. For people who actually want to dominate leaderboards and PvP - bust out that wallet and grab the best gear anyway. DPS is overrated in terms of how much it costs, but it still needed for top-tier performance.