Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: High Level Gear NOT Useful!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default High Level Gear NOT Useful!!

So I been merching much of the past week, and saving up my gold for new gear. So today I finally pulled the trigger. I found a few good deals and upgraded my gear to Level 20 Demonlord "of will" set along with a Level 20 Clever Flamestrike Rod of Assault -- basically this is just about the best build you can get for a level 20 sorcerer.

So the result?

I can't manage to stay alive, not even for a little bit. I can't even farm Elite Jarl anymore. I been playing for about an hour and have yet to defeat him with any group I have joined. It happens like this...

I join a game, we get to Jarl, I hit him with a fireball or lightning strike, he comes after me and hits me, I try to kite him by circling around, other mobs come after us, everyone leaves game. And the process repeats.

I think I'm going to just sell my gear. I had more fun when I had crappy gear. Either that or I'll just hold onto this gear for when PvP comes out, and get a separate set of "farming" gear with much lower damage output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just wait a few seconds before you attack?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Must be your build. Sorcerer can solo elite Jarl easily with elite items equipped. Whats ur build?

Could also be arthritis. Do u have arthritis?
    Last edited by Patricks; 12-24-2012 at 11:57 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patricks For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Patricks View Post
    Must be your build. Sorcerer can solo elite Jarl easily with elite items equipped. Whats ur build?

Could also be arthritis. Do u have arthritis?

Lmao! It's ironic the guy who supported dps over damadge can't kill jarrl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rushorgtfo View Post
    Lmao! It's ironic the guy who supported dps over damadge can't kill jarrl
    You have me confused with the other guy in the thread. I never said dps was more important than damage! I said damage is most important, but I mentioned that for a build with only 2 attack skills, dps is of SOME importance.

Just so you know, right now I am using a level 20 Clever Flamestrike Rod of Assault which gives me 122.5 Damage & 220.6 DPS, so I got the best of both worlds here. And I still need to upgrade my ring and amulet, and I will be adding 11 INT points when I reach 21 (6 stat points & 5 points from passive skill point), so I'll get at least another 8-10 dmg out of this build before I'm finished with it.

And for your comment in the other thread that people overpay for weapons like this, I paid 66k for it. I'm a merch, so I'm usually able to find whatever gear I want at affordable prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    You have me confused with the other guy in the thread. I never said dps was more important than damage! I said damage is most important, but I mentioned that for a build with only 2 attack skills, dps is of SOME importance.

Just so you know, right now I am using a level 20 Clever Flamestrike Rod of Assault which gives me 122.5 Damage & 220.6 DPS, so I got the best of both worlds here. And I still need to upgrade my ring and amulet, and I will be adding 11 INT points when I reach 21 (6 stat points & 5 points from passive skill point), so I'll get at least another 8-10 dmg out of this build before I'm finished with it.

And for your comment in the other thread that people overpay for weapons like this, I paid 66k for it. I'm a merch, so I'm usually able to find whatever gear I want at affordable prices.

Nice nice I have 160 damadge 230 dps 27 dodge 13 crit 1600 HP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rushorgtfo View Post
    Nice nice I have 160 damadge 230 dps 27 dodge 13 crit 1600 HP
    We need to do some runs together LOL. I need to run with someone who can actually steal aggro from me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Jarl hits like a girl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Simple .. let somebody else hit jarl first after u cleared the mobs ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

All things in moderation. Let the tank build a little aggro before you unload. Do a little cursing or normal attacking first.

Or if worse comes to worse, a lot of rogues are perfectly capable of tanking Jarl. Heck, I end up doing it 90% of the time in pugs.
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I've been experimenting a little....

I'm finding that I actually do better if I solo him than with others. LOL

I think what happens is the others get in the way and sometimes even die and draw other mobs into the picture. I can solo him by kiting him a bit. I just have to watch that I don't run too far or else the other mobs get involved, and then I'm dead almost instantly.

Just a FYI, I got 548 armor & 1539 health with no pet. So I'm as tank-like as a sorcerer is going to be. But I still can't manage to stay alive more than 5-10 seconds if elite mobs are coming after me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but either I die really fast, or I use 100 pots in less than a minute. 100 pots in less than a minute makes farming elite jarl a non-profitable affair. So no point in doing that then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:906617
    I've been experimenting a little....

I'm finding that I actually do better if I solo him than with others. LOL

I think what happens is the others get in the way and sometimes even die and draw other mobs into the picture. I can solo him by kiting him a bit. I just have to watch that I don't run too far or else the other mobs get involved, and then I'm dead almost instantly.

Just a FYI, I got 548 armor & 1539 health with no pet. So I'm as tank-like as a sorcerer is going to be. But I still can't manage to stay alive more than 5-10 seconds if elite mobs are coming after me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but either I die really fast, or I use 100 pots in less than a minute. 100 pots in less than a minute makes farming elite jarl a non-profitable affair. So no point in doing that then.
    The mobs kill you because you dont have freeze or timeshift to stop them from mobbing you. Also you used the knockdown upgrades, so the mobs get spread, taking longer to kill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

The mobs kill you because you dont have freeze or timeshift to stop them from mobbing you. Also you used the knockdown upgrades, so the mobs get spread, taking longer to kill.
    In my last build I had timeshift, but I found it not very effective. I considered using freeze instead of gale force, but from the description it's not really AoE, but only one target with a small chance to become AoE. Am I misunderstanding the description?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Ice is very effective, in village as I'm heading to the first mob I charge fireball and knock them all down. I still have enough time before I get to the center of the mob so I charge ice and release, everyone is froze. I can use my other skills before I need to charge ice again and just repeat. when I see mages using whirl it actually gets annoying on that map, they charge it or aim it toward Jarl, doing this they toss one of the mob guys right next to jarl which triggers his go. Then you have to worry about him and the mob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    In my last build I had timeshift, but I found it not very effective. I considered using freeze instead of gale force, but from the description it's not really AoE, but only one target with a small chance to become AoE. Am I misunderstanding the description?
    Mains- PL Mage: Azefekie (Runazeisback)
    AL Mage: GodsTouch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azefekie View Post
    Ice is very effective, in village as I'm heading to the first mob I charge fireball and knock them all down. I still have enough time before I get to the center of the mob so I charge ice and release, everyone is froze. I can use my other skills before I need to charge ice again and just repeat. when I see mages using whirl it actually gets annoying on that map, they charge it or aim it toward Jarl, doing this they toss one of the mob guys right next to jarl which triggers his go. Then you have to worry about him and the mob.
    I'm always careful not to do that. I only use gale charged when I am using it for defensive purposes. It also gives me a +25% burst of speed and knocks everyone down. For example, I use it while running to Jarl. It also works well in the first floor of the tower when you want to run past the mobs.

And of course I use it in places like the tombs and hauntlet where there are tons of mobs and it knocks them down. In these situations, I use charged gale followed by charged fireball.

As far as Ice, it sounds like you're saying it is AoE, i.e. it freezes the mobs. Is this indeed the case? From the description on the skills page, it sounds like it only freezes one target with a very small chance at becoming AoE. Please explain. The main reason I chose gale force over ice was because I wanted a second AoE skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:906644
    Some ppl like freeze, some like gale. For me, gale seperates mobs and as an AOE attacker, u want them together. But every sorcerer should have the clock.
    Last edited by Patricks; 12-25-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Some ppl like freeze, some like gale. For me, gale seperates mobs and as an AOE attacker, u want them together. But every sorcerer should have the clock.
    clock is my fav skill. clock+fireball=KO.
    hav heal nd gale force. i switch heal to lightning at boss :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:906710
    I'm always careful not to do that. I only use gale charged when I am using it for defensive purposes. It also gives me a +25% burst of speed and knocks everyone down. For example, I use it while running to Jarl. It also works well in the first floor of the tower when you want to run past the mobs.

And of course I use it in places like the tombs and hauntlet where there are tons of mobs and it knocks them down. In these situations, I use charged gale followed by charged fireball.

As far as Ice, it sounds like you're saying it is AoE, i.e. it freezes the mobs. Is this indeed the case? From the description on the skills page, it sounds like it only freezes one target with a very small chance at becoming AoE. Please explain. The main reason I chose gale force over ice was because I wanted a second AoE skill.
    Ok. When you use freeze, it will stun a single target. But if you use charged freeze, it will stun a single target and significantly slow the enemies around him, so it is aoe around the target when charged. You can also upgrade freeze so it has chances to stun the enemies around as well. Compared to gale, the cool down for freeze is almost twicd as fast so u can use it more often. Freeze has significantly better range, and unlike gale, you dont have to aim it.
    Last edited by Patricks; 12-25-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

I've never had a problem freezing all the enemies around me after i charged an ice, not once. I understand what you're saying, i think it says 25% chance to freeze nearby enemies. Not sure what's that about cause it works 100% for me. Also sounds like you're wasting a lot of skill points on stuff you may not really need and could be making your main skills stronger with those. i understand it's your build so by all means make it the way you want.
    Mains- PL Mage: Azefekie (Runazeisback)
    AL Mage: GodsTouch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I've never had a problem freezing all the enemies around me after i charged an ice, not once. I understand what you're saying, i think it says 25% chance to freeze nearby enemies. Not sure what's that about cause it works 100% for me. Also sounds like you're wasting a lot of skill points on stuff you may not really need and could be making your main skills stronger with those. i understand it's your build so by all means make it the way you want.
    Yeah uh, no. It's not 100% stun in an AoE. Once again, please speak fact and not use hyperbole just because you feel like it sounds cooler on a forum post. Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, Patrick got it, too.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums