Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End Game Rhino in PvP - Not as bad as you think

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default End Game Rhino in PvP - Not as bad as you think

A lot of people have been saying that the Rhino class is really underpowered. So I decided to deck my rhino out with a full crafted savage set, pure STR, and maxed out the buff spells.

Obviously this build isn't good for killing... but it's practically invincible for CTF.

I was in a 3v3 rockwall game with my buds, and the trick is to not really attack when you go for the flag. That "charge!!" spell? Yeah, it's basically a speed skill. Just spam it to run away from your opponents, and if you get hit, you cast your buff spells for protection. What I'm saying is that people have been complaining about the charge!! spell being only 8m... the skill can be used for more than just attacking.

Most people would think that having a pure STR character is ridiculous considering the hit% loss. I normally used 67 dex to bring my hit% pretty high, but using pure STR, it's only a mere 66%. Bad, right?

So the solution was this: Use a ring/face to bump up the hit% a bit. Max out the buff spell that grants more damage... 27 additional hit% when maxed out. That solves the hit% problem.

And because people complained about the Rhino having such a low health pool: stop whining, when you max out STR attribute + a ring/face that grants more HP, problem solved.

At this point, you're a tanking machine. Fully maxed out buffed grants an additional 93 armor to what you already have... that's over 400 armor. Not to mention, my Rhino doesn't have a founder's helm, or any vanity rings.

The only con is that this class is not meant for FFA. It's meant to be a support class. I maxed out resurrect so it can res up to 14m... as well as maxing out heal. I can really only kill birds if I'm buffed, and have some crits here and there(which is good because they deal the most damage) and dex bears. You're pretty much useless against a bear, or a mage. Mages don't kill you instantly since Rhino's have the ability to heal (and have up to 75 h/s when healed)... but mages win in the end.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm thinking the Rhino will emphasize different gameplay, and encourage more CTF. They can get a ton of captures if you use them right.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 12-31-2012 at 06:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Uh... First off, I'm jelly ... Second... I can already see bglir farming those flags ...

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I'm going to try this when I lvl my rhino. Maybe not with a savage set though. Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Rhino's simply can't kill, though. Like I said, I can kill a bird now and then...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

But since the rhino is a support class, shouldn't it be the perfect class for ffa and ctf? just wonderin. *Nice build btw*
    PL: Crestmage -- Crestwar -- Crestbear -- Crestphoenix -- Twinkworld -- Tearacecaz
    AL: Crestmage -- Crestwar

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    A lot of people have been saying that the Rhino class is really underpowered. So I decided to deck my rhino out with a full crafted savage set, pure STR, and maxed out the buff spells.

Obviously this build isn't good for killing... but it's practically invincible for CTF.

I was in a 3v3 rockwall game with my buds, and the trick is to not really attack when you go for the flag. That "charge!!" spell? Yeah, it's basically a speed skill. Just spam it to run away from your opponents, and if you get hit, you cast your buff spells for protection. What I'm saying is that people have been complaining about the charge!! spell being only 8m... the skill can be used for more than just attacking.

Most people would think that having a pure STR character is ridiculous considering the hit% loss. I normally used 67 dex to bring my hit% pretty high, but using pure STR, it's only a mere 66%. Bad, right?

So the solution was this: Use a ring/face to bump up the hit% a bit. Max out the buff spell that grants more damage... 27 additional hit% when maxed out. That solves the hit% problem.

And because people complained about the Rhino having such a low health pool: stop whining, when you max out STR attribute + a ring/face that grants more HP, problem solved.

At this point, you're a tanking machine. Fully maxed out buffed grants an additional 93 armor to what you already have... that's over 400 armor. Not to mention, my Rhino doesn't have a founder's helm, or any vanity rings.

The only con is that this class is not meant for FFA. It's meant to be a support class. I maxed out resurrect so it can res up to 14m... as well as maxing out heal. I can really only kill birds if I'm buffed, and have some crits here and there(which is good because they deal the most damage) and dex bears. You're pretty much useless against a bear, or a mage. Mages don't kill you instantly since Rhino's have the ability to heal (and have up to 75 h/s when healed)... but mages win in the end.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm thinking the Rhino will emphasize different gameplay, and encourage more CTF. They can get a ton of captures if you use them right.
    I thought you quit pvp ghost?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

I thought you quit pvp ghost?
    *Waiting until it gets fixed*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Might try and make a high level rhino. Sounds like fun, defintly needs work on the combo, at least in my case. I can see it becoming ( like you said) a very good class In ctf. You pure str build is curious and is worth trying. Seeing that I don't buy lots of post, it will take me a while to level up a rhino, but I look forward to trying that out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Well since they aren't underpowered now, I guess they're overpowered...NERF (I'm jk )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Maybe, if you used swift dex set you can solve the hit problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aqp (A Quarter Pounder) View Post
    But he's full strength. But you have a good idea, I'd use the talon set for more armor. Also I think talons give more hit% than bows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iRusher View Post
    But he's full strength. But you have a good idea, I'd use the talon set for more armor. Also I think talons give more hit% than bows?
    I've yet to try the talon crafte set. I'll try to borrow it, and let you guys know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

That's endgame though.
    rhinomagic[/B]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts

I never thought rhinos would stand any chance in PvP/ctf until I saw you ingame today. Damn, you were fast!
    The flag slows down the one who carries it so if u chase him you will eventually get colse enough to take him down. Rhinos just get further and further away the longer you chase. To catch it you must attack from two different sides or try to block its way .-.
    They do almost no serious damage and I could take it down in pretty much every 1on1 situation but I hardly had the chance to get close enough.
    I dont think going dex with talon set would have any benefits. Rhinos arent ment to do the damage but to cap. Trading the survivability (he wasnt easily killed in one combo) for some damage would kind of destroy the purpose of the "flags only" mentality they should have.

If you have some knowledge of the mechanics and strategies in Ctf maps, like Ghost has, rhinos are great team players and flag beasts.
    Last edited by Gaunab; 01-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    OneRandomNoob - 76 meatshield | Gaunab - 76 dodgenub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaunab For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iRusher View Post
    I've yet to try the talon crafte set. I'll try to borrow it, and let you guys know.
    I'd like to hear how using that set turns out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaunab View Post
    I never thought rhinos would stand any chance in PvP/ctf until I saw you ingame today. Damn, you were fast!
    The flag slows down the one who carries it so if u chase him you will eventually get colse enough to take him down. Rhinos just get further and further away the longer you chase. To catch it you must attack from two different sides or try to block its way .-.
    They do almost no serious damage and I could take it down in pretty much every 1on1 situation but I hardly had the chance to get close enough.
    I dont think going dex with talon set would have any benefits. Rhinos arent ment to do the damage but to cap. Trading the survivability (he wasnt easily killed in one combo) for some damage would kind of destroy the purpose of the "flags only" mentality they should have.

If you have some knowledge of the mechanics and strategies in Ctf maps, like Ghost has, rhinos are great team players and flag beasts.
    This^^ is exactly my perspective, thanks Gaunab. I would like to see the damage spells vamped up on the rhino a bit, considering we have the least amount of range and no solid AOE spells. CTF really only happens end game, so at the moment, rhinos seem pretty useless for every other PvP level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Ill give the Rhinos some decent leverage at 56. Ysotankz has it pretty much down. Of course his mace swings of 200+ make up for the low damage dealt

Sig made by Arexos! Buying Phantom Bow set pm meh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WarTornBird View Post
    Ill give the Rhinos some decent leverage at 56. Ysotankz has it pretty much down. Of course his mace swings of 200+ make up for the low damage dealt
    I'm assuming he uses glyph mace set?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Don't do talon. Waste of time with a rhino.

Rhino is gr8 supporter and best flag carrier by far atm (as I haven't seen a valid end game Fox), but it's best in 5v5 match IMO. In CTF the rhino basically runs just for the flag and as we played 3v3 together yesterday the rest of our team had 2v3 moments far more than usual. Ofc skill is the one which matters but in a pros vs pros match, 2v3 is hard to beat. And by saying pros vs pros, I didn't mean myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Don't do talon. Waste of time with a rhino.

Rhino is gr8 supporter and best flag carrier by far atm (as I haven't seen a valid end game Fox), but it's best in 5v5 match IMO. In CTF the rhino basically runs just for the flag and as we played 3v3 together yesterday the rest of our team had 2v3 moments far more than usual. Ofc skill is the one which matters but in a pros vs pros match, 2v3 is hard to beat. And by saying pros vs pros, I didn't mean myself.
    Yeah thanks for the feedback. Anyways, i'll already tried out the talon set and it sucks.

Here's how my build works - a total support class:

1.) max out resurrection to 14 meters.

2.) max out heal

3.) max out three of the buffs (one of the buff only gives 10% dodge + 5 armor when maxed... Waste of points.) the damage buff provides like 36-ish damage to your party members as well as a self buff of 28 hit%. And the "guardian spell" is neat, Lets say a player is debuffed, they'll virtually be 'healed' by the spell guardian and a self armor buff of 40 armor. The other buff provides 48 armor.

4.) Use charge!! for when I'm only running to the flag, or when I have the flag.

5.) only attack birds - you're only chance of killing. I've killed mages and STR users before, but that's only because i had support behind me. Rhino's can't win in a 1v1 against str users. Use the combo charge!! + redemption... Redemption will do 2x damage when combo

6.) Use your other two spells (the icon with a lightning shape on it, and the icon with the blue waves on it). For stunning and str wielders. During ctf,if i had the flag and a bear tried to get me, i would stun, and use the knockback skill. The best trick is to get up close to the wall, and right before the player turns the corner, you stun and knockback.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 01-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.