Thread: Dev Explanation of Taunt Please?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Default Dev Explanation of Taunt Please?

Is there any way a dev can explain the taunt mechanic for us? We've speculated quite a bit, but with the new level cap it's definitely getting harder to maintain aggro.

Also, effective taunting was important at level 16 since elite bosses would 1-2 shot other classes. But with the new update, mages and rogues can simply pot spam to stay alive.

Would be nice if pure tanks could keep aggro again and if there was actually a need for pure tanks again...

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Can a dev at least give some general commentary on this please? Don't want specific formula info, just a general idea of how threat generation and taunts work in AL. Would be helpful for all classes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I would love some clarification on this, as well.

As tanks, we like to focus on defensive gear. This means lower damage output. So taunts and abilities that have threat built in to make up for the lack of threat from damage are the tools we need to function properly. But it doesn't seem like our aggro tools perform as well as they should.

I would love to know the devs' vision behind tanking and how the aggro system is designed to work. Perhaps it's a little different than a standard MMO, bing that is is a mobile game. It's been stated that the devs' said that no class is meant to be a healer class (I didn't see this, but I've seen players mention it), so perhaps they don't envision any one class to be a full-on tank either.

Anything the devs would like to share or comment on would be awesome.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Meh... can a dev please at least just say "we can't release that info" so we know you see this? Really want to understand the mechanic to the best that you can allow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I would like some info on this as well. As the warrior currently stands, warriors aren't even needed anymore. Rogues and mages can survive without a tank. Even when tanks are in parties, they are the most useless class because they deal the least damage output and don't even hold aggro. Warriors can't hold aggro even with a 4 taunt build. The warrior's taunts need a buff. I'm not asking for DPS on the level of a rogue, just a taunt buff so the warrior feels lime an important class. As of now, the rogue is getting rerolled because a warrior is pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

A thought just occurred to me.

All the skills in the game are based on our damage. So even our horn of renew heals for more, if we increase our damage. Might the taunts in this game work the same way? Perhaps they simply apply an amount of threat onto the targets that is based on our damage. So that a warrior with higher damage has stronger taunts than a warrior with lower damage.

I don't know if that matches up with my play experience completely, but I think it might explain the quirkiness of at least some of the "taunt wars" I've gotten in with other warriors.
    Main: Grimtank (warrior)
    Alts: Longfinger (sorcerer), Critsngiggles (rogue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Cool thought but sword and shield (a true tank weapon set) would be behind 2H every time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Ice View Post
    I would like some info on this as well. As the warrior currently stands, warriors aren't even needed anymore. Rogues and mages can survive without a tank. Even when tanks are in parties, they are the most useless class because they deal the least damage output and don't even hold aggro. Warriors can't hold aggro even with a 4 taunt build. The warrior's taunts need a buff. I'm not asking for DPS on the level of a rogue, just a taunt buff so the warrior feels lime an important class. As of now, the rogue is getting rerolled because a warrior is pointless.
    Agreed With the current state, warriors are turning out to be a pretty much useless class, especially in Elite Jarl runs.

I find myself wishing for rogues or even mages instead.
    Destructible - Level 21 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoxKramer View Post
    Cool thought but sword and shield (a true tank weapon set) would be behind 2H every time.
    Thanks for shooting down my idea, but it was a question to ponder, not a suggestion, lol.

I'm not making a suggestion for the devs to consider implementing, I'm wondering if this is how it is in the game already. If every other skill in the game is based on damage, then perhaps taunts are too. That would explain why the devs haven't just done a simple boost to taunts, at least. Boosting taunts, if they were based on damage, would likely make taunting too powerful for tanks with 2-handers.

Like I said, that theory wouldn't match up with the entirety of my experience with tanking, but it sure would explain some of the times I've been with another warrior who out aggros me even though I use more taunts than him (me with s&s and him with Trollbane or Vorpal).
    Main: Grimtank (warrior)
    Alts: Longfinger (sorcerer), Critsngiggles (rogue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think taunts work differently than threat output. While I was running with a 4 taunt build, I could steal aggro after using a taunt but could not hold it when high DPS warriors were using windmill and syward smash. I had 112 DPS with the 4 taunt build. After switching to SS, CS, HoR, and VB I could hold aggro better with 127 DPS. So I believe that threat and taunts work differently for holding aggro which is why taunts can grab aggro but high DPS can hold it.