Thread: The Argument For/Against Heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default [Solved] The Argument For/Against Heal

I am planning on respec'ing soon, and I would like some advice on my skills.
    Currently I am planning:
    Stats: Pure INT
    Skill Point Set:
    Fireball(3/5): Engulf, Impact
    Frost Bolt(3/5): Ice Wielder, Shiver
    Gale Force(2/5): Weighted Wind
    Time Shift(3/5): Time Bomb, Countdown of Pain
    Passives-
    Knowledge 5/5
    Damage: remaining skill points
    After reading many posts in many threads, I am finding that many people include Heal in their skill set, as it helps with both health and mana. However, I have also seen that "heal only saves about two [health] pots every [however long heal's cooldown is] seconds, so potting is a better option".
    I am going for high-damage mage, mainly running Elites. Opinions?
    Side note: I also absolutely love stuns and knock-downs.
    Last edited by Jed; 01-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Jed - Sorcerer, Crp - Sorcerer, Qad - Sorcerer, Puj - Warrior, Onf - Rogue
    Remember that thing about AL platinum only being used for elixirs and vanity? Yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

i don't think heal is very useful, i prefer shield that heal..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aintgerman View Post
    i don't think heal is very useful, i prefer shield that heal..
    I have shield and heal currently, and I rarely use shield, as enemies don't usually dish out too much damage on me.
    Remember that thing about AL platinum only being used for elixirs and vanity? Yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I think you may be better off unlocking a few more useful subskills rather than spending 9 points on passives. Personally I don't see any value in heal or shield, maybe when PvP comes.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I think you may be better off unlocking a few more useful subskills rather than spending 9 points on passives. Personally I don't see any value in heal or shield, maybe when PvP comes.
    So I should take the 4 points from Damage and spend them on other skill enhancements? I would keep the 5 in Knowledge, because more INT is always helpful for nuking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I wouldn't put the heal's value at just how many pots it saves you, but in how helpful it is to the group. Now I don't know if the heal is really worth it or not, since my Sorc is only like level 10, so that's up for you guys to determine. I'm simply saying that the value of a group heal should be based on its effect on the group, not just the caster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike View Post
    I wouldn't put the heal's value at just how many pots it saves you, but in how helpful it is to the group. Now I don't know if the heal is really worth it or not, since my Sorc is only like level 10, so that's up for you guys to determine. I'm simply saying that the value of a group heal should be based on its effect on the group, not just the caster.
    The group can fend for themselves. I'm already contributing my damage. ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    The group can fend for themselves. I'm already contributing my damage. ^^
    That's one way to think, sure. Do you hold the same philosophy for warriors who refuse to use taunting skills and tank, or do you see those guys as bad warriors? I know warriors are not doing too well in the aggro department since the expansion, but there is a difference between those who try to tank and those who don't.

With your "fend for themselves" philosophy, you can't really complain about warriors who just spam damage and never taunt while you tank. And if that's cool with you, then ok. I'm not trying to tell you how to think or play. I'm merely curious if you are consistent with your philosophy, or if it's just a double standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Everyone has heals, the Mage heal is fairly weak. The only real benefit is the mana heal which requires charging and only benefits the rogues and warriors a meaningful amount. It's a money saver, and a minor one. If that's what you're looking for, great. If you want to maximize your offensive capability, have faster runs, etc., skip it. If you still want to help the whole team, use curse. If anyone tells you you need to heal ignore them. It's not the sorcerer's job. STS has explicitly stated that no class is intended to play the healer. Sorcerers are built for AOE damage and debuffs.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I play all three class characters, and from my experince sorcerer dont need heal skill. Life giver not very usefull for your self or your party, as i play my warrior i dont need others to heal me, my skill and pot enough to keep me life and heal skill fairly weak compare to warrior hp. I use that skill like what you are planing to open but with more upgrade since i just spend only 5 point in passive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

owh almost forget, the good of life giver is refilling mana from empower if you party with rogues. but if your rogue friends willing to "sacrifice" use their mana pot (as you too) its ok.
    Last edited by Bejo; 01-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

If you are going for record timed runs, then heal is probably not good and you would rather inflict max damage with all 4 of your skills. But if you are just farming for items, and your goal is to save gold, then heal will save you money in the long run on both health & mana pots. If I am with a good group then I never need to use any pots as heal gives me enough regen of both health and mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think jed have hard times to make decision now. But like subjek of this thread many input here. This is my flexible build, many will say its not good but i enjoy it right now.

Fireball : Engulf; Ignite; Impact
    Gale force : Outward squall; Speed of wind
    Frostbolt : Ice wielder; Shiver; Arctic shatter
    Time shift : Freeze time
    Life giver : Empower

and 5 skill poin in knowledge.

Yeah i know it weird build since open 5 skill instead of 4. Many of my friends ask, "why open 5 skill if you just can use 4 at a times, that waste skill poin better spend poin to upgrade or passive" . Its ok for me. That build make me flexible, for fast kill i use 4 attack skill, and survive and gold saver i use heal. But in reallity i rarely use heal skill in tomb, hauntled or in elite farming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    If you are going for record timed runs, then heal is probably not good and you would rather inflict max damage with all 4 of your skills. But if you are just farming for items, and your goal is to save gold, then heal will save you money in the long run on both health & mana pots. If I am with a good group then I never need to use any pots as heal gives me enough regen of both health and mana.
    Sort of the answer. Do you need to save gold? If so, take Heal. Otherwise, go nuts with another DPS skill or Curse.

If you can't afford a respec and don't intend to spend plat on it, then never take Heal. There comes a point in time where potion gold becomes petty cash and you won't even notice expenditure on it. Don't get stuck with a skill you don't want to use.
    Looking for dedicated leaderboard players with a sense of perfectionism and patience. PM me on the forums

16. The Following User Says Thank You to primaeva For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I respec'd for a build without Lifegiver. Thanks for all the opinions.