Thread: Item enchantment system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Default Item enchantment system

Rares, epics, and legendaries have various enchantments, like "of Brutality" which gives strength and extra damage, or "of Will" which gives intelligence and armor. Sometimes you find the armor or weapon you were really wanting, but then it comes with a less than desirable enchantment.

My idea? New items that can replace an item's current enchantment with a different one!

Here's how it would work:

You have a Mighty Vorpal Sword of Tactics. The "of Tactics" gives it INT and Crit. But what you really want is "of Assault" which gives DEX and Damage. So you equip the sword, find a Weapon Enchantment Kit of Brutality in your inventory, tap on it, and hit "Use". A box pops up asking "Are you sure you wish to apply this Enchantment to your currently equipped weapon?" There will be yes and cancel buttons, of course. You hit yes, and voila! Your Mighty Vorpal Sword of Tactics has now become a Mighty Vorpal Sword of Brutality! The Enchantment Kit is consumed in the process.

The amount of stats applied will be determined by the item's level, naturally. This is not a way to upgrade an item to be more powerful than anything that drops. It's merely a way to let players customize their items to better suit their builds more conveniently.

Some key features of this idea:
    • The Enchantment Kits could either be high level elite drops, plat purchases, or both.

• In the player's inventory, they will be found in the same section as where chests and eggs are kept.

• The Enchantment Kits come in five varieties: Weapon, Helm, Armor, Ring, and Necklace.

• When used, the enchantment is applied to the player's currently equipped item of the matching type.

• They only change the "of Whatever" to a different "of Whatever" based on that item's level.

• They are consumed when used.

I think not only would this make players happy due to being able to customize their gear better, but it would be a consumable in high demand, so it would be a great gold sink to add to the player economy. It's not overpowered, since it's not adding higher level enchantments to items, but merely different ones of the same level value. And it doesn't seem like it would take too much work to implement, since it shares a inventory space with chests/eggs, applies the enchantment to the currently equipped item of the kit's type (so you don't need to develop some kind of manual selection system for the players), and does nothing more than replace the content of one field of a database item with another (I'm simply assuming/guessing here that there's a predefined table of data that the game pulls from to fill these fields).

So overall, if my assumptions on implementation are somewhere in the ballpark of being remotely correct, I think this would be a pretty cool addition to the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I like it, I can see them possibly implementing this as a plat only item, that could be a nice little money maker for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

It would also ruin the market entirely as any of the cheaper items could be transformed into the better ones. Bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:919938
    It would also ruin the market entirely as any of the cheaper items could be transformed into the better ones. Bad idea.
    Not necessarily, it could create a better market for those useless items... it really depends on what an upgrade pack would cost and how accessible they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Not necessarily.

You say the cheaper items could be transformed into the better ones, but there are a few factors that would determine if they actually would be transformed. For one, the amount of kits on the market would have an effect. If they were rare or cost a decent amount of plat, then it might not be worth it to use them on an item just to boost it's price. If money is the person's goal, it might be more profitable to sell the kit by itself. Also, don't forget that the kit only works on an equipped item, so a warrior can't use a kit on rogue daggers. They could transfer it to a rogue character they have via the stash and do it, but not everyone has multiple characters.

If the kits were plat only, then I seriously doubt everyone will be spending plat to convert every legendary they list on the CS.

Let's consider that it did play out like you suppose. So all the cheaper "of Tactics" warrior weapons get converted to "of Assault" before getting listed on the CS. What's the real outcome of that? The price of "of Assault" weapons goes down, due to higher supply. The price of "of Tactics" weapons would go down, as well, since not everyone will have these kits to blow on merching. This is no different from the effects of time as an expansion gets older. And even if item prices go down as a result of these kits, let's not forget that people will be buying and selling these kits, as well.

Consider this: if these kits were the same rarity as elite legendaries, they would end up being worth a ton on the market. Not just in the beginning, but for a long time. Why? Because they are consumable. One-time use, that's it. Imagine what the effect on prices would be if STS had implemented a soulbound system (once you equip an item you could no longer sell/trade it).

Ruin the economy? I don't see how. Change the economy? Naturally. I'm not afraid of change, though. Change keeps things exciting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:919938
    This x100000000000000000000
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

I would rather stay away from crafting cuz of the experiances I had with PL.

@mike, you state a beneficial idea but considering AL is a mobile mmo, its kinda complicated for a 10min-sit-play game.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post
    I would rather stay away from crafting cuz of the experiances I had with PL.

@mike, you state a beneficial idea but considering AL is a mobile mmo, its kinda complicated for a 10min-sit-play game.
    Could you elaborate more on that? I'm curious why you would think this is too complicated for a mobile MMO.

The play experience would be something like this:
    You are running an elite dungeon, looking for upgrades. Your armor is an Agile Ranger Leather of Will. The INT and armor you get from "of Will" doesn't really mean that much to you as a rogue. The boss drops an Armor Enchantment Kit of Force (STR + Crit%), so you open up your inventory, use the kit, and voila! You are now wearing an Agile Ranger Leather of Force.

It's really no more complicated than finding an egg or a chest and opening it up. It doesn't seem like it would be to me, at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Not a good idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Not a good idea
    Care to share your reasons why not?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Mike... anyone in a merch guild that manipulates the market for profit won't like anything that hurts their ability to control the supply through collusion...