Thread: Armor vs dammage reductions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Armor vs dammage reductions

which is better?? ijust want to know every PRO warriors opinion.

AL-Dwinsible lv.21 WARRIOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I'm not a 'pro' warrior, so you needn't listen to me. But if i'm not mistaken, armor and damage reduction is about the same.

Devs already stated that armor works the same way as damage reduction...so yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    Without going into too much detail, the general concept of armor in Arcane Legends is the more you have the better your damage reduction is. A very simplistic example would be something like if you had 0 armor and a level 12 mob hits you for 100 damage, you take 100 damage. If you have 341 armor in this scenario, behind the scenes we determine for your level that 341 armor is roughly 22% damage reduction, and thus you would take 78 instead. There are many other variables involved, but that's the general idea. As a wrrior tank, you probably want a lot of armor

I feel compelled to mention these numbers are fabricated for the sake of pointing out the general idea of how armor works in Arcane, and has no bearing on our actual calculations.
    Destructible - Level 21 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Mate!

AL-Dwinsible lv.21 WARRIOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

If u mean what is better 4% damage reduction or 80 armor(from pets), it is impossible to say right now. Until PVP comes out or the debs open up a bit on what calculations we'll never know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoxKramer View Post
    If u mean what is better 4% damage reduction or 80 armor(from pets), it is impossible to say right now. Until PVP comes out or the debs open up a bit on what calculations we'll never know
    Actually it is possible to say right now. We've been given the calculations already. Unfortunately, it's only applicable to level 21, but it's still pretty darn useful info:
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySphere View Post
    Armor works like this:

Armor Value * (Armor Modifier by level of attack mob) = Damage Reduction

This modifier goes down as the level of the attacking mob goes up, so that more armor is needed to maintain Damage Reduction as the player moves into higher level content.

This passive is a multiplier on the Armor Value, so that a small change might not have a huge impact on Damage Reduction, but the higher the base Armor Value the player has the more this passive is worth. Therefore, this passive is way more effective for a warrior is max armor than it would be for a sorcerer in medium armor.

For example:

Warrior with 980 armor at level 21 vs. Sorcerer with 500 armor at level 21.

Warrior DR w/out passive - 980*.00047619 (attacking mobs modifier) = 46.6% DR
    Sorcerer DR w/out passive - 500*.00047619 = 23.8% DR

Warrior DR w 4/5 passive - (980*1.04)*.00047619 = 48.5% DR
    Sorcerer DR w 4/5 passive - (500*1.04)*.00047619 = 24.7% DR

This benefit will grow as armor values get higher, which is one of the reasons why this passive will probably never go beyond its 5% increase. It would just become too powerful over time.
    taking this further, here's a relevant chunk from a post I had made in the warrior forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike View Post
    Calculating this out for my own current armor shows the difference with using 5/5 durability as being 2%.

848*.00047619= 40.4% damage reduction
    (848*1.05)*.00047619= 42.4% damage reduction

Also something to take away from this is that since we are given this info, we can calculate that roughly 22 armor = 1% damage reduction at level 21.
    So when comparing 4% damage reduction to 80 armor, the 4% damage reduction actually comes out ahead, since 80 armor comes up just short of 4%. But in the grand scheme of things, they are pretty close to equal.
    Main: Grimtank (warrior)
    Alts: Longfinger (sorcerer), Critsngiggles (rogue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Ah yea I saw that original post but thought the ratio # was made up, not the real thing, but reading it again I see it is.
    So even with 5/5 Durable 80 armor comes up just short of 4%. Cool to know. Now I may try to make an 'effective health' calculator to see what your effective health is based on health, dodge, and armor reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, my interpretation of carapace's input and my expirements conflict with the quote from wizard_mike above. I believe the % damage reductions from pets at least (haven't tested passives yet) is added to the % damage reduction based on armor. So, if your armor gives you 47% damage reduction and your pet gives 4 (shiloh), you'll have 51 overall, not 49.

The DR elixer is definitely calculated on the damage before being multiplied by the DR from armor (making it more like 7% DR on a well equiped tank)--so I guess passives could go either way. I'll test it next time rerolls are free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahau View Post
    To be honest, my interpretation of carapace's input and my expirements conflict with the quote from wizard_mike above. I believe the % damage reductions from pets at least (haven't tested passives yet) is added to the % damage reduction based on armor. So, if your armor gives you 47% damage reduction and your pet gives 4 (shiloh), you'll have 51 overall, not 49.
    I think you mistook something in my post, because nothing I said conflicts with anything you just posted. Damage reduction from a pet is straight damage reduction. There's nothing to calculate there, just add it to your character's damage reduction (just as you stated). I'm not sure what lead you to think I was stating anything to the contrary.
    Main: Grimtank (warrior)
    Alts: Longfinger (sorcerer), Critsngiggles (rogue)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, that post was the product of psoting in a hurry and from my phone, where I couldn't re-read all the posts and didn't have time to re-write it lol. I had assumed the damage reduction from the passive skill was straight DR similar to a pet, so 5 points would yield 5% reduction in total rather than 2% as you posted. However, since I haven't tested myself and I assume you have...then that must not be the case. That's sad, as I was planning on respeccing to include durable, but not for 2%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

From what I have read it equals out something like 21armor=1%DR.
    This makes for building a tank based on armor iffy. As most stes gains as you upgrade is somewhere between 20-50 armor, meaning you get 1-2% DR every upgrade.
    Last edited by Hroovitnir; 02-10-2013 at 01:54 AM.