Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skills effect in CTF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default Skills effect in CTF

I've seen mention in the CTF thread that some sorcerer skills are nerfed. For example, someone mentioned that Frost does not freeze or even slow anyone, but is just basically a damage skill with no special effect. Perhaps we can make a list of the various skills and what special effect (if any) each one does in CTF, and how they each differ from how they perform in PvE. So anyone who has played CTF so far, please post your experiences below with each skill you have.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

so far that I know is fireball do stun in AoE.My frost bolt didnt do any effect and gale force not even push back enemy.So yeah just wait what will devs do with this because its still just a test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Skills effects would be none, it's pointless to even try. Rouge kills you in one hit, warriors can as well. I just played a round where I chased a warrior from one side of the map to the other, while he had my flag, hitting him with everything. He never died, he turned in my flag, turned around, one hit and I'm dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Time shift do slow when in range.Just found it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    so far that I know is fireball do stun in AoE.My frost bolt didnt do any effect and gale force not even push back enemy.So yeah just wait what will devs do with this because its still just a test.
    I am sure gale force stun as well as give you the speed boost (not when you carry the flag). Have to check again to see if gale force still give me the dodge bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valsacar View Post
    Skills effects would be none, it's pointless to even try. Rouge kills you in one hit, warriors can as well. I just played a round where I chased a warrior from one side of the map to the other, while he had my flag, hitting him with everything. He never died, he turned in my flag, turned around, one hit and I'm dead.
    yeah, one hit from rogue is 90% of my health. and Frost only gives DOT with no slow/freeze effect.
    Last edited by wawawa64; 01-19-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Yeah, I just played for about a half hour. I had lots of kills, but only sorcerers. I was able to take most sorcerers since I've got good gear, but I didn't kill a single rogue or warrior that I remember. Rogues are the hardest as you can't get hit even once. Warriors take a while to kill me, but they always do eventually.

I'm probably a bad example for PvP though as I'm terrible at it. In PL I died at least twice for every kill I ever got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

frost makes u slower

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

i got a bunch of bad items and i can kill rouges in 10 secs and warriors in 20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Yeah, I just played for about a half hour. I had lots of kills, but only sorcerers. I was able to take most sorcerers since I've got good gear, but I didn't kill a single rogue or warrior that I remember. Rogues are the hardest as you can't get hit even once. Warriors take a while to kill me, but they always do eventually.

I'm probably a bad example for PvP though as I'm terrible at it. In PL I died at least twice for every kill I ever got.
    i use arcane shield so rouges cant damage me then i keep on spamming gale, fire, and lightning
    it works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

fireball stun (works)
    fireball -25% hit (unsure)
    Lightning Strike stun (works)
    Frostbolt extended slow (works)
    Frostbolt freeze (doesn't work that i have seen)
    Gale Force knock down (doesn't work that i have seen)
    Gale Force speed (works)
    Gale Force dodge (works)
    Shield knockback (unsure)
    Time Shift slow (works)
    Time Shift stop (unsure)
    Curse (don't know anything)

correct me if i'm wrong on any of those.. Also, if anyone know the curse duration with/without the extended duration.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CosmoxKramer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoxKramer View Post
    fireball stun (works)
    fireball -25% hit (unsure)
    Lightning Strike stun (works)
    Frostbolt extended slow (works)
    Frostbolt freeze (doesn't work that i have seen)
    Gale Force knock down (doesn't work that i have seen)
    Gale Force speed (works)
    Gale Force dodge (works)
    Shield knockback (unsure)
    Time Shift slow (works)
    Time Shift stop (unsure)
    Curse (don't know anything)

correct me if i'm wrong on any of those.. Also, if anyone know the curse duration with/without the extended duration.
    I'm not so sure that the freeze slow applies at all... from my experience so far it only damages and applies DoT.

Fireball definitely stuns and DoTs, not sure about the minus hit chance but even if it does I'm not sure how much more useful that will be compared to something else.

I have heard the gale knockback doesn't work either although I haven't got that skill to try myself.

Timeshift definitely slows down but doesn't root.

I'm still with my PvE build fireball frost timeshift and heal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

We must ask for a Pvp where only sorcerer can fight :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I've gotten a lot better with some practice. The best advise I can give to others is to keep your distance and kite the enemy. If you try to tank you are going to lose against a rogue or warrior. If they charge at you, then use a skill that stuns them and then retreat to a safe distance. Remember that they cannot hit you at a distance, but you can hit them, so you are safe as long as you stay away. As for rogues with bows, I have found them to be pretty easy as they don't hit that hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Oh yea. Stay max distance and get a Watchers rifle. I don't do Gale force because knock down does work and I stay ranged. Also the extended slow from frost bolt does work. I don't have any other slowing ability and I see them slow down. Maybe not the basic frost bolt but the increased duration slow does work. I do charged fireball, charged frost, charged lightning for 3 cc abilities and improved heal. If I kite well enough and stay aware of where I saw enemies I can keep alive with heal pretty well. I found shield is negligible when a rogue + 1 more comes at me so I decided kite + heal > shield for ktd ratio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The arcane shield have a great use in pvp because the decrease damage base of % of your opponent damage so when rogue deal large amount of damage it also cut large amount of that damage which about max 45%.Surely with good timing of heal,"smart" mages can stand longer.
    About the frost bolt,it isnt always slow the target(I wonder why)it only about 50% (try 10 times frost and slow 5 times).
    Talking about keep distance from enemy is hard lol.Rogue can rush to u after shot u with aimed shot.And warrior haha the warrior can kill mages in many way.they can jump and rush then spin or pull u to him and spin and crush u.So yes mages is ranged class and we have to keep distance from enemy but the way HOW you do that is the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really haven't noticed the slowing effect from frost and I use it a lot. I have 4/5 frost aswell. The snare from timeshift is much more significant at any rate. My PvE build is DoT and it actually seems pretty effective now that I am playing a bit more. The key really is to minimize close contact with the enemy and to land your stun first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pulenski View Post
    I really haven't noticed the slowing effect from frost and I use it a lot. I have 4/5 frost aswell. The snare from timeshift is much more significant at any rate. My PvE build is DoT and it actually seems pretty effective now that I am playing a bit more. The key really is to minimize close contact with the enemy and to land your stun first.
    The slow from frost has to work as another mage has done it to me. Do you charge it? I am
    wondering if it only works with a charged frost. I usually don't charge and also don't notice
    the slow to the enemies. It sort of looks like the aoe effect you get with mobs in pve which
    works with the charged skill. I too have 4/5 frost without the last upgrade. The other thing I
    am wondering is I find the freezes, knockdowns etc don't always work in pve if the enemy is
    already frozen, knocked down, etc. In PvP I usually use frost uncharged immediately after a
    charged fireball. Maybe its slowing effect does not work as my enemy is still stunned by
    fireball. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I don't think the effects of these skills are straightforward,
    and they are hard to test in the mayhem of PvP. Even after 500 plus kills, although I have found
    a relatively effective strategy, I still don't completely understand all the effects of the skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't normally bother charging frost no. I'll have to start trying though if thats the case. I usually drop a timeshift on my enemy too so maybe thats being screwing with it a bit. I'm quite certain that uncharged frost doesn't apply any snare as I've been running from enemies and using it(& no other spell) and its done nothing but damage. Would also add that I've found that in PvE the CC from frost doesn't always trigger on mobs even when it's the only spell used.

I'll post back here if I find anything useful regarding charged frost in PvP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Gale does blow back the enemy too. Does not seem entirely consitent but it works. Unfortunately it
    has to be aimed unless converted to aoe. Recently I have been running gale with the aoe, speed
    boost and dodge options. Found it a good extra measure to keep those pesky warriors off you. I do
    all my other attacks and when he get close or it's time to run I do a charged gale. Do not have to be
    facing the warrior but can be running away when release. You potentially knock him back plus get the
    speed boost and dodge to get away to a safe distance to do your charged fireball and other ranged
    attacks again. Seems to have worked pretty well in a few 1v1 encounters with warriors.

Oh, another nice tidbit which I don't know if you guys have noticed. I seems to me that uncharged skills
    have to be aimed to hit an enemy (you have to be facing them) whereas charged skills hit the nearest
    target even if your not facing the enemy (at least for fire and frost). Good for if you are trying to run
    circles around a warrior
    Last edited by drgrimmy; 01-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.