Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Full Dex?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Full Dex?

Is going full dex a smart idea? Thanks in advance.

2.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,168 Posts

In my opinion it's okay to go this route for the first several character Levels - though mostly in the interest of getting the most out of the low-level bows. But as you advance you'll definitely want to put more focus on Strength and Intelligence so that you're able to withstand damage and regenerate mana more rapidly. Higher level mobs hit a lot harder... and you'll get killed pretty quickly if you neglect Strength. Also you're gaining skills as you advance, which require Mana. If your mana pool is small and your regen is slow you won't be able to capitalize on the spells and techniques you're unlocking.

Hope this helps!
    - Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thing is, its ranged so I could mob them and never get hit, is there a way to buy buy mp and hp potions in game?

4.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,168 Posts

Yes!

You can buy Health and Mana potions with GOLD. Go to the main menu, tap on the 'Store' tab. On this interface you will see a 'Buy with Gold' button and a 'Buy with iTunes' button.
    The 'Buy with Gold' section of the store offers individual Health and Mana potions as well as potion packs where you can buy multiple poitions for a discount.
    Both the 'Buy with Gold' and 'Buy with iTunes' screens have item categories and sub-categories which you can browse by tapping the arrow buttons on either side of the 'Category Name' or 'Sub-Category Name' indicators. Look for the Potions Category. Health and Mana potions each have their own sub-categories.

- Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks, buying 25 dollar itunes card tonight, will be playing tonight after my flight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even if you never get hit, you will want enough INT for mana regen for your skills (and some sort of armor with mana regen!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

^ That's what potions are for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooblaim For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is the thing. A warrior type will put in most of his points into STR. And STR seems to be a universal DPS stat. They need it for their weapons, armor, and to survive at the front lines.

Archers need Dex for our armor, weapons, and a small chance to dodge because we cannot put as many points in STR.

However the problem is we are a DPS class and STR makes warriors DPS shoot up up up while more DEX increases our crit by a very small amount. You can look at any Warrior my same level (12) and most of them are doing around 45-65 damage. I have a unique crossbow and I do 28-44 damage with 10 str and 55 dex. Both of these weapons are hitting at nearly the same speed, but I think the two hander may be a little faster. I can find a level 5 with 18 DPS to my 13 DPS at level 12. Which means a warrior is hitting nearly as hard as much crits on normal hits because he/she has a stat that increases everything.

DEX needs to do something to damage for Archers other than a small chance to crit(aka a small chance to do the same damage as a warrior type?)
    Last edited by Jsaya; 04-08-2010 at 10:34 PM.

10.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,168 Posts

Good observations

I will look into the stat formulas and see how I can make Dex more meaningful. Should be able to reply here with findings over the weekend...

Thanks!

- Cinco

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinco For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Good observations

I will look into the stat formulas and see how I can make Dex more meaningful. Should be able to reply here with findings over the weekend...

Thanks!

- Cinco
    Wow thanks for the quick reply on this issue.

Honestly this will be a big balance issue. Some suggestions that are strictly my OPINION, dont have to take any of these seriously at all.

Dex should add what STR adds to DMG for everyone.
    STR can add 25% of that damage to DMG to give them a slight edge over warrior DPS.

Warriors should keep their current bonuses with STR.
    Dex could give a 25% bonus to Armor.

Casters need their Damage stat switched to their INT.
    Have not played a caster so cannot think of good second stat. Are their casting times? Bonuses to abilities?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok as as a near full dex archer with nearly 500 kills and 3 deaths I do t see a problem with the archer. No mana probs with meditate, self heals, rooting effects, an aoe stun w/dmg and my favorite combo: one shot central, focus and blast shot. Show me a chantress or war that can one shot a monster.

Lv 12 right now but having a blast with archer.... (yea i went there)

btw your forums load slower on iPhone than your game does lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    Ok as as a near full dex archer with nearly 500 kills and 3 deaths I do t see a problem with the archer. No mana probs with meditate, self heals, rooting effects, an aoe stun w/dmg and my favorite combo: one shot central, focus and blast shot. Show me a chantress or war that can one shot a monster.

Lv 12 right now but having a blast with archer.... (yea i went there)

btw your forums load slower on iPhone than your game does lol

1 hitting a mob every 20 seconds is all fun and dandy but this game has a bit quicker pace than that. I can run in circles for a long long time against a boss and never die. Or if it is ranged I just use pots and I never die. The thing is with a warrior you can do the same, but in half the time since my DPS is based off STR which is my main attribute. Dying is not the issue here. DPS is.

At level 16 now and most everyone has an "awesome" skill that can obliterate a MOB. This is just basic DPS. Full Dex is fine, but the stat is basically useless other than equiping. Sure you will have 5 Crit rate, but you have a skill that gives you +10% a rank. So you lose out on the 7 crit at 75 DEX(lvl 16) yet your damage would be very very high.

STR should not be the universal +DMG attribute for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah I thought it was to do with int in the case of my mage so I raised it ridiculously high before I realised it was worth raising other stats as well
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. -Groucho Marx
    jetshrike-My Enchantress level 22
    RangerJet-My Archer level 14

16.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,168 Posts

Hey there!

I dug into the Character Statistics data this morning and found several areas in need of improvement. To be brief: the Strength statistic is now not the only stat that influences your damage; Dexterity influences it greatly and so does Intelligence. I revised the amount of contribution that these statistics make to Damage, Hit / Crit chance, Dodge, and Armor and tested each class at Levels 10 and 25 - comparing the damage per second, health, mana, regen rates, hit, dodge chances, etc. It makes a lot more sense now

The point of the stats system is not to give each class one (1) stat that does everything for them; we want you to mix it up between STR, INT and DEX to get the most out of your character / play-style. That said - Enchantresses now do get more damage by increasing INT and Archers get a lot more base DPS by increasing their Dexterity.

All of these changes are out on the live game servers (by now), so please let me know your further thoughts.
    Thanks a lot!

- Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading the latest patch notes, its good that Dex now increases dmg for Archers, but increasing health?? that might make STR a poor stat for Archers, when you can get it from DEX. Also will you be updating the helptext with the new change?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it seems my dex build is not a waste. 

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So far I seem to be doing more solid damage at level 25. STR should add a lot more to health to give people a good reason to spec it if we have a problem with pure dex builds. But I wouldnt take it out of proportion. Say if someone only has 10-20 points in STR come level 20-25 area that should be plenty to give them a large boost to their health compared to a pure dex build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Enchantresses now do get more damage by increasing INT and Archers get a lot more base DPS by increasing their Dexterity.
    Just want to confirm my understanding, but you don't mean that each class has a different response to the three stats, correct?

So all classes now would experience more damage from INT and more base DPS from DEX?

Also Cinco, could we get a post with a little more detail on the effects of each stat? Not necessarily the exact formula used just something like...

STR: (per point)

0.5 HP
    damage seems to be a % increase per point and the %increase lowers as STR goes up (if this is close enough cinco maybe just confirm it)

etc...
    Last edited by Dakkine; 04-11-2010 at 01:41 PM.