Quote Originally Posted by vulgarstrike View Post
    makes sense. kudos to you
    SWEET! i am A-cing my econ test...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I doubt there will be much to worry about. The items ae not limited in supply -- if a "monopoly" drives up the price too high, people will simply farm the items themselves, or execute trades outside the auction house for less than the "going rate". Also, as previously noted, item values have limited lifespans due to the introduction of newer items.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I doubt there will be much to worry about. The items ae not limited in supply -- if a "monopoly" drives up the price too high, people will simply farm the items themselves, or execute trades outside the auction house for less than the "going rate". Also, as previously noted, item values have limited lifespans due to the introduction of newer items.
    the reason of the auction house is to capitalize on selling to everyone as a whole. while you can just use trade, u will be limiting yourself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

farm loot> buy loot

omg, i solved the crisis.
    i saw her once, and swore i was in love...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if there will really be such an issue. This game is different from other MMOs I've played in that there really isn't a restriction on how many times someone can farm for an item other than time. For example, when I played Final Fantasy XI, monopolies on items existed (earlier on in the game this was more of a problem; later on SE changed this by making some items bind to characters) because an item dropped from a monster that spawned every 21-24 hours, and even then the item was a random drop. There, people could just camp the monster each day, use somewhat questionable methods to claim it, and dominate the flow of an item. There's no such constraint in PL.

Granted, valuable drops are not frequent by any means, but there is nothing stopping someone from running a dungeon as many times as they please except for the time they want to devote.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Earlier when I posted I mentioned Emperor Norton so I figured I would expand on that. Emperor Norton was a real person living in the mid 1800's in San Francisco who went insane and declared himself emperor. He really is a fascinating person, so you should read about his insane period, but what is relevant to this topic is what happened to him to drive him insane. He was an investor, and when China shut off its rice exportation to the United States, he found an opportunity to corner the market and create a monopoly by buying the only ship with rice. This did cause the price of rice to spike, but he was not able to sell before two more boat loads of rice arrived from Peru. This caused a flood in the market, the price of rice dropped way below what he bought it for and he went bankrupt.
    So what does this mean for the economy of Pocket Legends? To really create a monopoly and dictate prices, you need to control BOTH the supply AND the SOURCE. Consider the Zuraz Shock Lance. To create a monopoly, you would first go around and buy up the current supply. But of course people could farm more, so you would need to 'buy the rights' to AO2:4 so that any new shock lances that drop are yours. Considering STS would step in and block any deal you might have made with Z'moxx, controlling the source would be a bit tricky. So don't fear monopolies.

tldr; A monopoly must control the current supply and the SOURCE to work, and that can't happen here.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm all for the free market. However, I also can't believe some of the prices I see being asked for items. It's insane. 275k for this piece or 1M for a set. Give me a break.
    PL acct 4/7/10 - Setec Lvl 52 STR Bear | SL acct 8/29/11 - Setec Lvl 10 Commando | DL acct created 9/16/12 - Setec Lvl 17 Male | AL acct 3/28/13 - Setec Lvl 9 Warrior | iOS 8 on iPad Mini 2/iPhone 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Aaaaaand, Im gonna do this xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

MMORPG auction house buyers still have to deal with the market. Sure you can buy up everything and resell at a higher price, but all the player base has to do is not buy the item and the seller will be SOL.

A game designer solves this problem by charging a fee to list an item on the auction house, and limiting the time an item remains on the auction house. Thus if a player tries to sell an item for a price that is clearly to expensive and no one buys it, that player will loose money over and over again by putting it back up on the auction house.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very well said Fluff!. Folks please digest the main concept being explained here. You would need to be able to control the SUPPLY and SOURCE for this to be a real threat.

Cheers.
    TeflonTank ~ Lvl 48 Tank | TeflonBird ~ Lvl 45 Archer | DrVoodoo ~ Lvl 45 Mage | TeflonWizard ~ Lvl 50 INTBear | TeflonSniper ~ Lvl 48 DEXBear | TeflonHobbit ~ Lvl 47 DEXMage | MrVooDoo ~ Lvl 35 INTBirdie | Pink Market Here
    "Your words give great insight into who you are"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Very well said Fluff!. Folks please digest the main concept being explained here. You would need to be able to control the SUPPLY and SOURCE for this to be a real threat.

Cheers.
    if you consider that the source of certain items is a very veeery narrow chance of looting, you can take the chance of new supplies as negligeble, and if they do come in, your shop wont be overwhelmed and you can just buy it (and sell it high of course)

you know, like the sunkiller, the vyxnar helm... very rare items that a guild can pool money into buying up.