Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The Party System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Default The Party System

Ok... I'm going to make a suggestion that I think a lot of people will disagree with. But I think a LOT MORE people will agree with.

This awkard party system in Arcane Legends. I think its time for a revamp. The idea behind it was well intended but I don't think its working. Let me explain.

For people that socialize a lot and spend a lot of time in game it may be great. They meet tons of people. Its fun for them. For a lot of us that don't have the time to do this, this party system is very cumbersome. It's nearly impossible to run elite pugs now. I can't tell you how many maps I've run half way and had to quit because people left. Even the "easy" map takes 3-4 times as long if you aren't in a good party.

Lets looks at the pros and cons:

Pros:

Ok. Honestly, I can't really think of any pros right now. Maybe someone can help out with this.

Cons:

1. Severely limits the way we meet new players. In PL, we could join instances together and follow each other around. Later on, when I log on, if I see an instance with someone I know, I can join. I don't have to spend time trying to get a group together to run a map. "Hey man, want to run" "No sorry group is full". All the while there are 500 people just like me at the same skill level wanting to run these maps that are in the exact same position. Like I said, its harder for me because I'm not really a social butterfly in game (except certain people ). I love playing, I don't much love the social aspect. If I wanted that, I'd mostly sit in town and talk.

2. Requires you to have a full 4 team party if you want to run a map effectively since randoms cannot join.

Honestly, I think the difficulty of the elite maps is not THAT bad right now. The problem is you really need a good party to run it efficiently. My solution if you don't want to nerf the elites... get rid of this party system. Allow us to host games and maybe save spots. You don't even have to boot people. Just save spots for invites or something. I am sure that at any given time there are MANY very good players wanting to run these maps. But it is time consuming and difficult for us to meet each other without having a lobby that we can look at the see who all is running.

I know, this topic might not be very organized and is incomplete. I'm at work. So maybe through conversation (constructive I hope) we can make it better.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

O what I see as a pro is that it is actually quite helpful at getting friends and guildies together to run. I have no problem finding a party in AF. But then again I don't need to know anymore people..... Ill start forgetting names

The con as u stated is it is hard to pug elite and there for makes it hard to find new friends, I think that this has more to do with guild structure more than anything else. If guilds got a fix there would be no need to Chang the party system.

-Vys

Lady_Pebbles

I agree with Vys. I also remember you saying that even PUGs have difficulty in runs before this expansion (like on elite tower runs). So I think the problem doesn't have to do with the Party System itself, its the players and lack of knowledge on how to run those maps. Not everyone from the game come on these forums and read the info provided.

However, -adding- a host map feature would be nice for solo runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles View Post

I agree with Vys. I also remember you saying that even PUGs have difficulty in runs before this expansion (like on elite tower runs). So I think the problem doesn't have to do with the Party System itself, its the players and lack of knowledge on how to run those maps. Not everyone from the game come on these forums and read the info provided.

However, -adding- a host map feature would be nice for solo runs.

They do... but those were at least still doable. Pugs have always been tough in this game. But with this expansion, elite pugs are almost unplayable. I join, waste 50 or so pots, everyone leaves and I have to start over. I say "I" but I'm SURE almost everyone sees this.

I don't see how the party system encourages guildies to play together more than hosting password locked games.

Maybe its not the "party system" as much as it is the inability to host/join games from the lobby. I just always thought of those two as mutually exclusive. I'm not very interested in running solo. I much prefer group mechanics to solo running.

Like I said... there may be many people in the same boat as me trying to find teams to run with. But, because its very difficult to find the right people in this game by trial and error, people just won't do it.
    Last edited by Rare; 03-08-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    They do... but those were at least still doable. Pugs have always been tough in this game. But with this expansion, elite pugs are almost unplayable. I join, waste 50 or so pots, everyone leaves and I have to start over. I say "I" but I'm SURE almost everyone sees this.

I don't see how the party system encourages guildies to play together more than hosting password locked games.
    It doesn't any more than a password locked game, but it is just another way of doing it. I actually don't see a need for the change but I guess that's just me. I have a great guild and many friends and nvr need to look long for a party....

-Vys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I couldn't agree more. One of the things that turned me off, almost to the point of quitting, was the inability to join towns and games as I see fit, based off of an instance list (as they have (had?) in PL). I honestly have had maybe one time when I've actually joined a party and done more than a few runs with that given party. I pug. The party system SUCKS for pugging. It also sucks if you're with just one friend you want to do runs with...You can go around and try to find people to join the two of you in a party but if you have 30 minutes to play and it takes 10-15 minutes of your play time to actually get together a party with two random members who know what they're doing, you've just wasted nearly half of your available time trying to get a team together. For a mobile MMO, the system is clunky and really not player friendly.

My guild is me and a few other people. It's not a huge, popular guild. That's okay. I'm not looking to be part of a big guild. I'm an officer in COT in PL. That was great, I enjoyed being in that guild. I am not looking for the same type of guild experience in this game, though. I shouldn't be penalized by being figuratively neutered when attempting to join worthwhile runs by a system that is just not casual-user friendly.

Lady_Pebbles

But... Whats the point of changing the party system for that since the devs are already working on the KI elite maps to lower the difficulty? It was on one of Samhayne's threads and other threads...

Lets wait it out and see what they do before we jump down on the PUG party system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    It doesn't any more than a password locked game, but it is just another way of doing it. I actually don't see a need for the change but I guess that's just me. I have a great guild and many friends and nvr need to look long for a party....

-Vys
    Well... you're one of the people I was talking about. Works out great for you. Unfortunately, it doesn't for me. So I made this suggestion. I just see the benefits of the PL/SL style lobby as being much greater than the party system we have in AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

But... Whats the point of changing the party system for that since the devs are already working on the KI elite maps to lower the difficulty? It was on one of Samhayne's threads and other threads...

Lets wait it out and see what they do before we jump down on the PUG party system.

Because regardless of the difficulty, I think the benefits are still greater with the other maps. Of course, if there was a great benefit to having the party system, I'm all ears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I tend to be someone who doesn't embrace change but if it's sensical change I can definitely get on board and eventually grow to appreciate the changes. I find the party system to be nonsensical in a mobile MMO unless the goal is to get everyone into guilds and only have people do runs with their own guilds.

I wouldn't even mind the party system for those people from whom it works but if they could give the option to search for games and towns to join, as you can in PL, I'd be thrilled.

I just don't see the benefits to the party system being the ONLY way to be able to do set runs with people. And I think it's a huge flaw that if you are in a party with one other person, no one else can join. I'd love to be able to be in a party with one or two others, join a run and have other people be allowed to join, too.

(edited because I wrote joint instead of join haha)
    Last edited by Pandamoni; 03-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pandamoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    I wouldn't even mind the party system for those people from whom it works but if they could give the option to search for games and towns to join, as you can in PL, I'd be thrilled.

I just don't see the benefits to the party system being the ONLY way to be able to do set runs with people. And I think it's a huge flaw that if you are in a party with one other person, no one else can join. I'd love to be able to be in a party with one or two others, join a run and have other people be allowed to joint, too.
    This is what I meant when I said it maybe wasn't a problem with the party system directly. Maybe just the way it is configured now.

And yes, if we have a 2 person party and we host a map, it should allow two other people to join us. That would actually alleviate a lot of the problem. Unlike Vys, I find it exponentially more difficult to find that 4th person. But if we could party 3, then a random could join. It would probably work out.

Lady_Pebbles

I agree it shouldn't be the -only- option but still it shouldn't be wiped out either. For me, I'd rather join a party where we can go on any map and it automaticly locks the map to other players except those in the party. It takes out the hassle out of making a solo map on the other StS games & having to individually invite players you're running with so they can enter the map. That (for me) is the best benefit of the party system on AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I just had a chuckle because we could sit here and think of all of these great ways to improve it but I doubt any change will occur. I'm still crossing my arms, pissed off that they messed up my ability to chat while running because my keyboard pops up and my toon stops moving now. I will forever be bitter and shake my fists at STS for that one.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pandamoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

I agree it shouldn't be the -only- option but still it shouldn't be wiped out either. For me, I'd rather join a party where we can go on any map and it automaticly locks the map to other players except those in the party. It takes out the hassle out of making a solo map on the other StS games & having to individually invite players you're running with so they can enter the map. That (for me) is the best benefit of the party system on AL.

Was it that way in SL? I can't remember. I'm not counting DL because that's a whole different beast. The only MMO I know of where its more effective to run solo.

For PL, you give the password to your group... then each time to host creates the map they put in the password. Everyone else can join either through the join map or FL and enter the password. No invitation necessary.

But I agree. The party system would be cool in addition to the join/host game lobby. Then there's not need for a password. Just keep remaking and joining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I love pugs, but it IS strange that if I want to run w/ 1 or 2 friends, I can't then play and sometimes have a random person join my group.

It's the random joinings that made PL so much fun. And since those randoms can always just join, if they're fast on the draw, lots of times you end up with a fast fixed group. PL's system was quick. AL's does feel clunky by comparison.

Star light, star bright...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I have to agree with the OP. The party system, and I'm only talking about my own experience, well... sucks. Why not allow random people to join after 1 person decides to leave all of a sudden? This happens a lot in PUG's. Why not allow people to form a party with 1 or 2 friends and allow random people to jump in at any time?

It's great to hear that some of you don't care because you all made tons of friends or are in an active guild, but that doesn't take away the fact that it's hard for new people to start running anywhere. Personally, I want to be able to just jump in the game and do some elite runs whenever I want to, and with the current party system it's cumbersome to say the least.

I don't see how it would hurt anybody to allow randoms to join an uncomplete party/run. Would it? The way I see it is that it would only make playing the actual game a lot easier for people who just want to log on and kill stuff (that would be me lol).

I'd also love to see making your own locked/unlocked games being implemented. It would make testing out procs, stats... a whole lot easier.

At least that's my opinion about the current party system

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Tournament & Ladder Leader Genuinous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Hosted maps would be nice, but I also really like the party system. Yes it does mean you need either friends or an active guild. But once you have it, parties are much better and practical than hosted maps, especially if it's not only about one run. You often end up farming with the same people (okay 1-2 might leave but you just invite new ones) for hours at times. Think about all the time that would be lost while having to host a map and then having to join to that specific one. When you have a lix running, you don't want to waste your time with idling in Paradise Pier waiting.

So as an option, hosted parties would be nice, but please keep the party system. And the meanwhile get friends and a guild

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Genuinous For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genuinous View Post
    Hosted maps would be nice, but I also really like the party system. Yes it does mean you need either friends or an active guild. But once you have it, parties are much better and practical than hosted maps, especially if it's not only about one run. You often end up farming with the same people (okay 1-2 might leave but you just invite new ones) for hours at times. Think about all the time that would be lost while having to host a map and then having to join to that specific one. When you have a lix running, you don't want to waste your time with idling in Paradise Pier waiting.

So as an option, hosted parties would be nice, but please keep the party system. And the meanwhile get friends and a guild
    I have plenty of friends (not as many as some, but I prefer to keep my list with actual friends that I run with). That's not the problem. Its finding 3 of them that are available at the same time as me and want to run the same maps as me. Personally, I feel like a jerk if I try to get a group together for just one or two runs.

I don't think the party system needs to be done away with. But it needs a revamp. Like Pandamoni and Jaytb said... we should be able to allow random people to join if we don't have a full party. Also, combined with the game lobby, the party system could be awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I really dislike the party system. The system in PL/SL works way better. In the guild there, we just password protected it so only guildies could join. If we wanted anyone to join so we had a full group, we did not use a password.

This also limits the ability to join a friend unless they ask first.

Not to mention, numerous times I would get an invite, say yes and still not be able to join the group because the join buttom is greyed out.

I think this system is a real limitation to AL and it discourages me from playing more.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Don't know about the elite maps (only 17), but I want to mention the tombs. Most maps you go in and others naturally join, but there, unless you party ahead of time, you end up by your self. I swear, the place looks like a junior high dance with people standing against the wall not wanting to ask anyone else to dance. It feels really awkward there while all the cool kids with their parties go running in to have fun and your just not the type of person to randomly ask players to join you. The thing is, you can tell there is a bunch of players standing there thinking the same thing.
    So question, why can't there be an auto party lobby for the tombs like the hauntlet? Are elites like this where you have to ~find~ a pre-party?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?