Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economy opinions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

It's true that it's going a bit nuts.

25 million for one single weapon, or 8 million for one single helmet.

Things that some normal players will never acquire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaleagle View Post

Things that most normal players will never acquire.

Fixed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Fixed
    Please don't start editing my posts..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Please don't start editing my posts..
    ... Ok but It was so fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No wonder the economy is going nuts, from a monetary perspective, it is a nutty economy. Think about it for a while: gold is created by user actions in game and platinum. It is created out of thin air. Then it exchanges hands a few times through player to player transactions (the auction house). Then gold is destroyed again by buying mana pots, elixers, vanity items, and eggs.

From a monetary perspective this economy is completely insane and it is strange that it doesnt explode once in a while. Strangely, the auction house seems to make it somewhat robust. Well, that, and the fact that most people except for merchandisers and saoudis will never make more than a few hundred kilogold in game.

If some items are going for millions, that hints that only mercs can make real money in this economy, and only mercs can afford these items.

Ban merchandising and all items would settle in the few hundred gold region.

Btw, this is an insane economy, every comparison to real economies like that of the US is utter horsedung.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Just like most people will never own a Ferrari. There is nothing wrong with that. It is the way it should be. A rare item means exactly that -- there are so few that most people will never have it. If most people are able to acquire it, then it is common.

There should always be something better to work towards. Very few players should ever reach a point in this game where they have achieved everything and have nothing more to work towards. The only way for that to happen is to have very rare items that only a few players will have.

And in response to the post above that said without plat you will be poor, that is simply not true. I am not poor, I even managed to save up enough gold to buy a mythic helm. And I have never spent a lot of plat. I have never bought any gold with plat, and I have only opened a few locked crates (maybe a dozen) and never got anything good from them. I just play smart, sell the chests I get while farming, do some merching, and save up my gold.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-19-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

All game economies are like this as gold is created with no repercussion. If you think it sucks now just wait its getting worse. These high prices are like a snowball rolling down a hill...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raxin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raxin View Post
    All game economies are like this as gold is created with no repercussion. If you think it sucks now just wait its getting worse. These high prices are like a snowball rolling down a hill...
    Gold is destructed too. It vanishes from the system again with purchases of vanities, elixers, potions, and people leaving. I agree, from a monetary perspective these game economies are really bizar.
    Last edited by Asmodaie; 03-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Please start editing my posts..
    Fine you win.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Anyway, I had a long post on this topic, but too summarize: the gold creation/destruction cycle for game economies is just particularly odd. In the end, I think that what you see happening now is that too much gold is created which is only accessible by merchs. People who trade the whole day. Most other people will just be stuck with normal items from the few hundred kilogold they make during normal play.

The good part is that high prices mean that this game is becoming more popular, i guess.

From a monetary perspective. It looks that there is an overflow of gold, and not enough sinks. So, introduce eggs which can only be bought from the system for a million gold, not plat, and the problem is solved.
    Last edited by Asmodaie; 03-19-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Gold sinks arent the same as platinum sinks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Asmodaie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Just like most people will never own a Ferrari. There is nothing wrong with that. It is the way it should be. A rare item means exactly that -- there are so few that most people will never have it. If most people are able to acquire it, then it is common.

There should always be something better to work towards. Very few players should ever reach a point in this game where they have achieved everything and have nothing more to work towards. The only way for that to happen is to have very rare items that only a few players will have.

And in response to the post above that said without plat you will be poor, that is simply not true. I am not poor, I even managed to save up enough gold to buy a mythic helm. And I have never spent a lot of plat. I have never bought any gold with plat, and I have only opened a few locked crates (maybe a dozen) and never got anything good from them. I just play smart, sell the chests I get while farming, do some merching, and save up my gold.
    Can u pls stop comparing game with real life? This is a game u play bc its fun and not complicated. Im not saying its should be easy obtainable but it should be more possible as in real life. For many many ppl ownig a "ferrari" is almost impossible.

Im not saying this bc i want own one im not even trying but for some ppl that want it should be possible.

Dont compare what is not comparable. This is a game not real life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Uzii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    Fine you win.
    No popcorns for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzii View Post
    This is a game not real life.
    Agreed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticaleagle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uzii View Post
    Can u pls stop comparing game with real life? This is a game u play bc its fun and not complicated. Im not saying its should be easy obtainable but it should be more possible as in real life. For many many ppl ownig a "ferrari" is almost impossible.

Im not saying this bc i want own one im not even trying but for some ppl that want it should be possible.

Dont compare what is not comparable. This is a game not real life.
    It is possible for everyone if you put in enough time and save your gold. Most players do not want to (or are not able to) put in the required time to save up enough gold for such items. But those who do are certainly deserving of having those items.

And guess what? There are plenty of nice items that most players can have. What you really are suggesting is that there should be no arcane or mythic items at all. Because if you make them more common then they will be no more rare than regular legendary pinks. So say what you mean. You don't think there should be any rare items. You think everyone should be able to have the same exact gear.

Well there are plenty of MMOs that exist where this is the case. Just play PL if you want a good example. Everyone in PL complained because some items were too expensive, so now the drop rates of all the items were raised and now everyone can afford everything. So most of the elite players got bored and left, so the game is now pretty empty. But lots of noobs love it because they can play for a few weeks and have everything they want.

Sorry, but some of us want a game that presents a challenge. A game where I can play multiple hours per day, and a year later I still don't have everything I want. Because once I have everything I want, then I get bored and move on to another game. If that happens in one month, then the game will be a failure. And trust me, most of the elite players feel the same way.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Lady_Pebbles

Hell, Im the opposite. I get bored when I can't achieve a goal in game despite how many times I try. I like a challenge like everyone else but one that is literally impossible for an average player like me (who isn't rich & aren't as successful at merching as some others). Anything that is worth millions in AL, to me is not worth the time nor the effort anymore. Because it takes way too long. These are games meant to have casual gameplay & they completely took away the casual part of StS games. Especially on PL & AL.

This is one of the reasons why I like DL better than the other StS games; because even though I can't get a Gamer Top to drop, I can farm gold to buy one at the auction house for 1.3+ million with only two listed. It makes it possible to obtain an item in a few ways not just one. On AL we are forced to pay plat for a chance at an item that can be sold for millions. I believe these should be plat only items that aren't tradeable but are stashable. Also change the crates from 15 plat to open them, to 15,000 gold to open them for a chance at those items. Just like on DL with the gamble packs there. At least we got one weapon gamble pack availble for gold and not plat. THAT is a more reasonable solution to all this plat nonsense & would be one hell of a gold sink.

Last edited by Lady_Pebbles; 03-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

All I can say is if you're a casual player, don't expect to get the high end gears, unless you're willing to spend some gold opening crates and selling the pinks inside those crates. We, the early adopters of this game, has the advantage of experience and knowledge of some of the most valuable gears in play, thus some of us has taken advantage of farming early and merching. But sad to say, there are players who only play casually, and I guess they also compose a big percentage of the player base of this game.

I played my long dormant toon joined a guild, and met a player, hes lvl 25 now, what he said to me was that, "I have only 65k and I can't afford what I want". My point is, there's a certain point of enjoyment a casual player can only achieve which is way below the status of the OP players in here.

P.S. To Mysticaleagle, I own Mysticalrogue, I created it a month or two months ago. I'm not your impostor, I don't like playing rogues to be honest and besides, to copy someone is not my style. To keep your peace of mind, I deleted the character as well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheStoic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles View Post

Hell, Im the opposite. I get bored when I can't achieve a goal in game despite how many times I try. I like a challenge like everyone else but one that is literally impossible for an average player like me (who isn't rich & aren't as successful at merching as some others). Anything that is worth millions in AL, to me is not worth the time nor the effort anymore. Because it takes way too long. These are games meant to have casual gameplay & they completely took away the casual part of StS games. Especially on PL & AL.

This is one of the reasons why I like DL better than the other StS games; because even though I can't get a Gamer Top to drop, I can farm gold to buy one at the auction house for 1.3+ million with only two listed. It makes it possible to obtain an item in a few ways not just one. On AL we are forced to pay plat for a chance at an item that can be sold for millions. I believe these should be plat only items that aren't tradeable but are stashable. Also change the crates from 15 plat to open them, to 15,000 gold to open them for a chance at those items. Just like on DL with the gamble packs there. At least we got one weapon gamble pack availble for gold and not plat. THAT is a more reasonable solution to all this plat nonsense & would be one hell of a gold sink.

I understand this, but why do you need to have every single item that exists. There are hundreds of items that you can have, so why the need to have that one single rare item? I just don't get it.

If it's not worth the challenge to you, then move on and do a different challenge. There certainly is no shortage of different types of challenges in this game. Obtaining an arcane/mythic item is just one of many challenges. What you are essentially suggesting is that if you don't want to spend the time saving for this super rare item, then nobody else should be able to either.

So you want the complete elimination of arcane and mythic items? Is that what you are suggesting? (making them more common is the same thing as eliminating them, since they would no longer be or mythic or arcane rarity, they would be just like regular pinks)

Does it bother you that you can't be #1 on all the leaderboards? Do you get bored with the game because of this? Maybe they should eliminate the leaderboards since folks may get bored. Or maybe they should make everyone #1 on the leaderboards and give everyone the same banner. Then we all win! [/sarcasm]

Sorry but if you are a casual gamer, there are plenty of nice small challenges you can have in this game, but having the best gear, or making the leaderboards is probably not something you will be able to achieve. And any game where you could would not be fun for hardcore gamers.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I understand this, but why do you need to have every single item that exists. There are hundreds of items that you can have, so why the need to have that one single rare item? I just don't get it.

If it's not worth the challenge to you, then move on and do a different challenge. There certainly is no shortage of different types of challenges in this game. Obtaining an arcane/mythic item is just one of many challenges. What you are essentially suggesting is that if you don't want to spend the time saving for this super rare item, then nobody else should be able to either.

So you want the complete elimination of arcane and mythic items? Is that what you are suggesting? (making them more common is the same thing as eliminating them, since they would no longer be or mythic or arcane rarity, they would be just like regular pinks)

Does it bother you that you can't be #1 on all the leaderboards? Do you get bored with the game because of this? Maybe they should eliminate the leaderboards since folks may get bored. Or maybe they should make everyone #1 on the leaderboards and give everyone the same banner. Then we all win! [/sarcasm]

Sorry but if you are a casual gamer, there are plenty of nice small challenges you can have in this game, but having the best gear, or making the leaderboards is probably not something you will be able to achieve. And any game where you could would not be fun for hardcore gamers.

These are valid points, but what is slowly happening is that, the gap between the elite few and the majority of casual players is widening in terms of earnings in gold.

In my opinion, elites in this game can also be classified into two:
    Elite one: pure hardwork farming; merching+more hours spent on playing; and
    Elite two: bought plats+open crate+sell pinks and gears from crates+earn gold, then buy mythic and top-end gears=instant elite

With the introduction of ripmaw, increased cap and other plat-obtainable gears thru crates; hardworking elites slowly evolved to second-type elites just to stay competitive and on top of leaderboards. So much time and plat spent on this game, they have to keep playing or purchasing plat to keep their position and status. Thus, they get hold of the best loots, then sell the excess at hefty prize, controlling 99% of the economy.

At this stage of the game for new gamers, its nearly impossible to earn millions and get into leaderboards and buy the best gears unless you buy plats then open those locked crates and wish for a jackpot. Try creating a new toon without seed money from your main, let's see the result, at lvl 16 or 21, gears are already expensive, which you cant farm anymore. In fact, some of the elites are hoarding these to sell at a later stage.

To be honest, doing the nice small challenges you mentioned are momentarily fun, as you level up, what do you think sustains your progress? eggs? crates? cheap pinks?, with your consumption in pots and buying a gear at a certain level, you may have a few thousands left. Then what? By the time you've saved enough gold for the gear you most wanted, a new expansion will come out, then you'll always be left behind.

The economy in AL is only a sign that the richer players in this game gets richer, while the poor gets poorer or otherwise gets bankrupt. Like I said, this gap is widening.

From my own perspective, one of the good measures you are doing good in this game is the amount of gold you have and achievements you achieve, and most of the players, including, casual ones aspire to aim that.

Well, these are my opinions, if STS feels that these few elite players sustains their bottomline, then this game is fine the way it is.

Like I said, we are lucky we are early adopters of this game, we grow with the game, but I don't see that happening for new players growing with the game, unless...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheStoic For This Useful Post:

Lady_Pebbles

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:1014890

Its nog about owning every item available. Never said that. Its about having a fair chance to gain the items you want )which btw have achievements attached) without having to fork over a lot of money for them. Its not right that only players who can spend a lot of money can actually get all these items but when they put them up for sale for a huge amount of gold, the players who can't afford to open crates with hella plat (-or- decide they want to buy the item for gold) can't really get the item? (unless they spend hella time on a game thats supposed to be "casual" to gain gold via farming, merching, etc.) Not everyone has that type of luck nor time. Besides, some players might not even come up with the gold in time... it might become a useless item in the next cap so they wouldn't be able to use it at its prime lol. Sell it? Pfft, new mythic/arcane comes out the other would flood the market and ppl will cut prices as low as possible to gain gold lol.

Moving on isn't the problem. Its knowing that these types of "elite" gear are only for the wealthy that is frustrating. For that, they should just have subscriptions already and finally seperate the subscribers from the f2p players. Then everyone would be on evened ground.

And again stop twisting my words lol. I didn't say elimiate them. I said make crates able to be opened with gold so it'll be a gold sink. =)

And no actually I don't care about the leaderboard. I never did lol. I like doi.g achievements because it gives me something to do in game but the ones needed with plat are annoying and give other players who want to compete on the LB an unfair chance at it unless they fork over some real moola.

Having the best gear is something ALL players should be able to achieve without having to spend money on this game. Point blank. Hardcore gamers earn their gear with hard work. Money is just an easy way out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoic View Post
    The economy in AL is only a sign that the richer players in this game gets richer, while the poor gets poorer or otherwise gets bankrupt. Like I said, this gap is widening.
    What you describe here is how capitalism works. Unfortunately that is how a free market system works. How we avoid that in the real world is to inject some forms and bits of socialism into the mix. For example, in the real world we have socialist programs like welfare, unemployment benefits, social security, etc. And we have a progressive tax system.

If you want to even things out in AL you would need to add some of these ideas into the economy. For example, you could make potions and consignment shop fees cost more for players who have more wealth. But then many of these players may instead put all of their wealth in items and not keep much cash on hand. That has always been a big criticism of such programs in the real world -- that there are always loopholes to get around them.

But capitalism in its most basic form with no regulation or price controls ends up exactly as you describe. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and there ends up being no middle class. The middle class we have in much of the industrialized world is there because of wealth redistribution/socialist types of programs, not because the system is actually designed to work that way.

The more money you have, the easier it is to make more money. Try merching with 10k, and then try merching with 5m and you'll easily see what I mean. So naturally those with more money will make more money. And those with more money will buy better gear, and then they will have an easier time farming for more good items & chests. So the cycle repeats itself. No way to avoid this unless you curb the free market system the game is created around.

I know up above I was told to stop comparing this to real life since it's just a game. Sorry to say, but economics is economics whether it is a game or real life. The same rules of logic apply and human nature is still the same.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-20-2013 at 01:15 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Uummm, what if...plat to gold conversion is disabled lol? Would this increase the value of gold? Since people can't make gold out of nowhere easily anymore...?
    @.@ all this talk about economy makes me dizzy...