Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Flintlocks of Brutality (Lv26) - in depth look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Lightbulb Flintlocks of Brutality (Lv26) - in depth look

Introduction

Some people, including myself, have been wondering about what's so special about those flintlocks of Brutality.

In order to find out, I bought myself a pair of those hot looking -pun intended- blades.

I tested them out and like to share the results here. That way, you can make an informed decision on whether or not they would be worth it for you or not.

Looks and stats

The orange smoke in the picture below is the 10seconds weapon proc being active (discussed later in this topic)

Let's take a look at the stats and compare them with the current fairly popular Depraved Blades of Potency (DBP)

As you can see in the picture above, the flintlocks have a lot less dps as compared the the DBP and you'll also sacrifice some int. On the other hand, the flintlocks add some Dmg and survivability (HP).

At first sight, it seems that the little increase in Dmg isn't worth the huge sacrifice in DPS.

Let's look into a little more detail...

1. Weapon attacks

Unlike the DBP, the flintlocks are actually Area of Effect (AOE) blades, meaning you'll Dmg multiple target with each tap of the attack button.

I think you can see it by looking at the weapon symbol. For mages for example, when a staff shows a whirlwind around it, it means it's an AOE staff. I only tested a few weapons, so I can't be 100% sure yet, but so far it seems as follows...

This symbol indicates an AOE weapon.

This would indicate a single target weapon.

As said, I'm not 100% sure, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Whatever the case may be, the flintlocks did AOE Dmg on normal weapon attacks, so basically they could possibly outperform the DBP in large mobs in therms of pure weapon Dmg.

2. Dual Procs

The flintlocks actually have 2 weapon procs that activate simultaneous, as can be read in the description below...

* The first one, the barrel explosion, basically procs an AOE explosion, damaging enemies that are in fairly close proximity.

Here's a short video to show the proc (sorry for the crappy quality). Watch for the very brief explosion of orange circles, that's the proc going off. You can see them in the very beginning of the video and around the 8 seconds mark again. Ow, and please don't say my skill build sucks, I was just trying out an alternative build... Again

http://youtu.be/Ph6ZrifqRUI

* The second proc is 15dex increase and lasts for 10 seconds.

The cool thing about it is that it procs even when there isn't an enemy around. In practice this means that it can be kept active, to get that nice amount of dex increase before attacking the next bunch of mobs.

Below I pasted a link to a video showing off the proc. As soon as the orange smoke appears, you'll know the proc is active. At the start of the video I'm showing my inspect page to show you the stats before the proc, while at the end I did the same but while the proc was active. You can see the 15dex added and the Dmg increase it brings with it.

http://youtu.be/uMizessCNZ4

The stats before the proc...

And after...

What's worthy of notice, because we're looking at a Dmg focussed build, is the increase in Dmg from 221.7 to 228.4 or another +6.7Dmg.

In the next topic about skill Dmg, it will make more sense what this means exactly.

3. Skill Dmg

I've made a topic in the sorcerers section a while back. It compared DPS vs Dmg. As with sorcerers (and probably warriors), rogues' skill Dmg is also linked with their Dmg stat in their stats screen. So basically, the higher your Dmg stat, the higher your skill Dmg. Or in other words, the more Dmg all of your skills do.

Let's compare skill Dmg of Aimed shot for DBP vs Flintlocks with and without the 15dex proc of flintlocks.

DBP

Skill dmg: 370-463

Flintlocks without weapon proc

Skill dmg: 385-482 (or +15min, +19max Dmg vs DBP)

Flintlocks with weapon proc (+15dex)

Skill dmg: 397-496 (or +27min, +33max Dmg compared to DBP)

Conclusion

Because of it's AOE weapon attack, AOE Dmg (barrel) proc and 15dex increase proc, the flintlocks seems, on 'paper' at least, to (more than?) make up for their lack of single target DPS as compared to DBP.

In therms of skill Dmg, especially when keeping that 15dex proc charged, it should provide a noticeable Dmg increase as all Dmg skills (including all of your DOT's -Damage over Time-) will deal more pain to your opponents.

Personally, I think the weapon is best suited for fast elite mob killing. The AOE/skill Dmg increase should make killing mobs quicker. I haven't tested it a lot yet, I simply wanted to share the details about this weapon here.

As always, your constructive feedback is appreciated

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Does having those symbols tried and tested?

How about with Hooks? It has the first symbol(AoE symbol) on character page( left side) but have. The second symbol (single target symbol) if viewed in Inventory page (Right Side)..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

As said in the post, I'm not 100% sure about those symbols.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

I appreciate the research, thank you. If I farm em, i'll try them out. I try not to use diggers on elite dives(unless there is no tank and i have to get dirty..lol.), but wouldn't mind having em for normal maps. Seriously go work!..
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    I appreciate the research, thank you. If I farm em, i'll try them out. I try not to use diggers on elite dives(unless there is no tank and i have to get dirty..lol.), but wouldn't mind having em for normal maps. Seriously go work!..
    I almost always use daggers during elits runs. Guess it's just personal preference.

But yeah, sometimes random games can suck when there's a bad/no tank in the group.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Yeah, I like to keep my distance in elite unless im popping smoke or laying traps. When I go bow in elite I don't die hardy at all.
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Not too sure about the symbols as I still seem to run solo Hatunlet runs faster when using DBP over my ALP
    but since this weapon actually procs now it seems to make up for it's high value
    do you also know how often it procs at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gundamsone View Post
    do you also know how often it procs at?
    It's hard to say how often it procs exactly, but my guess is that it procs about once every 10'ish hits or so? It seems, but that can be subjective, it procs more when fighting mobs as compared to just swinging it in thin air.

All in all proc rate seems fairly high.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

i want some!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I assume you have a Shipmaster's Bow ( or enough change behind your couch cushions to buy one since they are like 200g now) so would you be able to post the Stat's and Aimed Shot with that equipped. I am curious to see it. Good job by the way.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    It's hard to say how often it procs exactly, but my guess is that it procs about once every 10'ish hits or so? It seems, but that can be subjective, it procs more when fighting mobs as compared to just swinging it in thin air.

All in all proc rate seems fairly high.
    That's a very decent rate then b/c before the buff I had a pair (bought for 100k) and couldn't proc at all.

I'm so accustomed to using a bow now for pvp but I will give these a shot since they seem to give max skill dmg now (next to hooks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interesting and informative post. Thank you!
    I like your attacking build: SP, AS, NB, SSS. Could you please tell me in details how you spent your skill points?
    How easy is it to solo farm on elite maps without Shadow Vail and Razor Shield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    I assume you have a Shipmaster's Bow ( or enough change behind your couch cushions to buy one since they are like 200g now) so would you be able to post the Stat's and Aimed Shot with that equipped. I am curious to see it. Good job by the way.
    Fluff, if I remember right flintlocks of brutality add 0.3 damage over shipmaster's bow of tactics (I saw some in auction). So skill wise they should be about the same. Big advantage of flintlocks is the aoe and the procs. Is it a 2.7 million gold piece advantage? Heck yes! If I had the gold I'd def be using them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    Fluff, if I remember right flintlocks of brutality add 0.3 damage over shipmaster's bow of tactics (I saw some in auction). So skill wise they should be about the same. Big advantage of flintlocks is the aoe and the procs. Is it a 2.7 million gold piece advantage? Heck yes! If I had the gold I'd def be using them!
    In some situations the bow will be better...perhaps lets say a beefy warrior is chasing you down in PVP
    I would love if STS starts giving us some elite bows or maybe even of arcane/mythic rarirty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gundamsone View Post
    In some situations the bow will be better...perhaps lets say a beefy warrior is chasing you down in PVP
    I would love if STS starts giving us some elite bows or maybe even of arcane/mythic rarirty
    Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    I just want to see a 1 to 1 comparison of the Aim Shot Skill Damage.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I just want to see a 1 to 1 comparison of the Aim Shot Skill Damage.
    Here's a screenshot with exactly the same equips, except using a Shipmaster's bow of tactics...

As WvHills said, it's fairly similar. A bit less without the 15dex proc, a bit more with it.

U rok, thanks!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Thanks Jay! You explained it in a way that was very well laid out and easy to understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Here's a screenshot with exactly the same equips, except using a Shipmaster's bow of tactics...

As WvHills said, it's fairly similar. A bit less without the 15dex proc, a bit more with it.
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MakadeMakva View Post
    Very interesting and informative post. Thank you!
    I like your attacking build: SP, AS, NB, SSS. Could you please tell me in details how you spent your skill points?
    How easy is it to solo farm on elite maps without Shadow Vail and Razor Shield?
    I only had that build very briefly so can't remember the exact points I put where. I basically upgraded everything that added dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    Thanks Jay! You explained it in a way that was very well laid out and easy to understand.
    Lol, thx

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.
    You're welcome

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

nice. thanks for this. question: which would you prefer DBP or flintlocks?