Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: and now there is a Knights of Cydiona?!?!?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default and now there is a Knights of Cydiona?!?!?!?!

Get a life people, quit trying to copy us and show some originality.

Before anyone says anything, I VERY highly doubt this one was unintentional.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Man...im glad no one is copying aoc well its kinda hard to copy aoc lol...Hmmm...At least you know your popular?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Maybe devs can help out? Like you said, I doubt this was unintentional too. Probably done to troll the original KoC which should be against the rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Maybe devs can help out? Like you said, I doubt this was unintentional too. Probably done to troll the original KoC which should be against the rules.
    They have had to spent a lot of time this week helping me when our name was stolen, I really don't wanna bother them any further. Maybe I should email support though, I don't know. This is just seriously getting to me, every time I'm sitting there, having fun, I see something like this that just kills my mood and, quite honestly, puts a huge damper on my gaming sessions.

Maybe im just letting myself get too mentally/emotionally involved with my guild. Like others say, it is just a game.
    Last edited by skavenger216; 09-10-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Mm.. this ticks me off. Alot. I'm growing tired of the guild copycat issues, and theres really nothing we can do. This is ruining our good name and allows for such easy mixup between the three. I'm not going to bother logging on tonight, I'm just gonna lose it on someone from that guild and they probably dont deserve it unless they're the gm.

First its Protectors of cydonia, then Knights of cydiona, whats next? Kings of cydonia? Saints of cydonia? Like c'mon...
    Last edited by Ebalere; 09-10-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skavenger216 View Post
    They have had to spent a lot of time this week helping me when our name was stolen, I really don't wanna bother them any further. Maybe I should email support though, I don't know. This is just seriously getting to me, every time I'm sitting there, having fun, I see something like this that just kills my mood and, quite honestly, puts a huge damper on my gaming sessions.

Maybe im just letting myself get too mentally/emotionally involved with my guild. Like others say, it is just a game.
    Yeah, I can see your point. It is ruining your playing experience, though. I'd say just report anyway, hopefully, the devs have time soon.

I wouldn't see this any different from a troll making an almost identical name as a very prominent player, worse here since it's an entire guild.

Forum Adept Driazsomethingiforgot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Again the dev cannot do anything about it. You guys do not own the name "cydonia" and nothing can be done unless you buy yourself a copyright. They paid their fees just like you to have their guild. Im not in any of these guilds but you guys need to understand that if STS did do something about it there will be potential backlash from the people. Its a freedom and if you would take away this said freedom then you are even worse than them. Just think of it this way you guys are the original that sparked a following kinda like boybands xP okok bad example but you get the idea.
    Driazabacen lv56 Dex Eagle
    Cosmosathena lv8 Noob Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Driazsomethingiforgot View Post
    Again the dev cannot do anything about it. You guys do not own the name "cydonia" and nothing can be done unless you buy yourself a copyright. They paid their fees just like you to have their guild. Im not in any of these guilds but you guys need to understand that if STS did do something about it there will be potential backlash from the people. Its a freedom and if you would take away this said freedom then you are even worse than them. Just think of it this way you guys are the original that sparked a following kinda like boybands xP okok bad example but you get the idea.
    Yes, I agree, but KoC isn't a generic name like 'Pocket Legends Guild' or something.

It may also turn to become an offense since it would be like 'impersonating' the guild, same way you can't impersonate a player. If someone made a toon named 'Ellyidoll' and started taking my identity, that would be offensive, IMO, even if I didn't copyright Ellyidol.

But I can see your point, I have a suggestion coming up for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere View Post
    First its Protectors of cydonia, then Knights of cydiona, whats next? Kings of cydonia? Saints of cydonia? Like c'mon...
    Cydonian Knights imo

Actually, devs can and have did something about these issues. They have already helped a few guilds out with this issue.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

On the same page though, let's look at real life. My name isn't copyrighted, but if someone started posing as me, it would be called identity theft, which is a very serious offense. Elly said everything I would have said, thank you BTW elly . While this is only a game, and not real life, I think identity theft (or guild identity theft) is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed. Anyone who has had to deal with this knows how flat out disheartening it can be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would be amazed if the forced the guild to change their name. You never know the circumstances that they choose their name and who are you to take it away from them? Bottom line doing so would affect our freedom of press and to express ourselves. PL is a game where you can get away from the real world and express yourself however you like. Who are you to judge them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

But to be accused of theivery you have to steal more than a name I havent seen anyone in game trying to pose as you guys the original theu simply walk around with their guild names besides them? Your saying if my name was BoB Joe and I see someone else name is also Bob Joe he has stolen my identity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I would be amazed if the forced the guild to change their name. You never know the circumstances that they choose their name and who are you to take it away from them? Bottom line doing so would affect our freedom of press and to express ourselves. PL is a game where you can get away from the real world and express yourself however you like. Who are you to judge them?
    Again, it's not like we're trying to change a guild name completely different from the original KoC. This issue borders on identity theft, IMO, especially if that fake KoC starts poaching members from the original one or potential members.

Put yourself in skav's shoes. How would you feel if someone made a toon name 'Driazabacenn' and started to behave like you and 'take' your identity?

But to be accused of theivery you have to steal more than a name I havent seen anyone in game trying to pose as you guys the original theu simply walk around with their guild names besides them? Your saying if my name was BoB Joe and I see someone else name is also Bob Joe he has stolen my identity?
    KoC is not as generic as BoB Joe at all.

Look at it this way, is exchanging some letters in one of the words of an existing uniquely named guild truly unique? It looks like copying, IMO.

Personally, I've never come across the word 'Cydonia' before this guild.

I don't think skav is trying to copyright the word 'Cydonia' or anything, the name 'Knights of Cydonia' versus 'Knights of Cydiona' is just too close, IMO.

It's like someone doing 'Noobs For Lyfe' in comparison to my guild.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-10-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Also sorry if It seems like Im just here to flame Im just trying to talk on their behalf because nobody here seems to look at both sides of the story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Again, it's not like we're trying to change a guild name completely different from the original KoC. This issue borders on identity theft, IMO, especially if that fake KoC starts poaching members from the original one or potential members.

Put yourself in skav's shoes. How would you feel if someone made a toon name 'Driazabacenn' and started to behave like you and 'take' your identity?
    Elly, quit stealing the words from my brain before I can type them up, lol . Jk

All kidding aside though, thanks again, couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lol ummm that wont work on me because I dont get bothered with something like that I welcome it. But if It did bother me I would just let it go because doing something is more trouble than its worth and Id rather just play the game because Im not playing so I could get mad in game Im playing so I can have fun(:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

The question i must pose is: Do you have any proof that this other koc is claiming to be the real koc? If so then it becomes a case of 'identity theft'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Lol ummm that wont work on me because I dont get bothered with something like that I welcome it. But if It did bother me I would just let it go because doing something is more trouble than its worth and Id rather just play the game because Im not playing so I could get mad in game Im playing so I can have fun(:
    Yes, so that's you. Imagine 500+ members of the guild being disturbed by this 'copying' of the name. Even if only half of the members are disturbed, that's still 250 members versus that one guy that decided to troll-make a KoC guild

Quote Originally Posted by skavenger216 View Post
    Elly, quit stealing the words from my brain before I can type them up, lol . Jk

All kidding aside though, thanks again, couldn't have said it better myself.
    No worries. As I lead a guild myself, I could see how annoying this is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Driazsomethingiforgot:412343
    Also sorry if It seems like Im just here to flame Im just trying to talk on their behalf because nobody here seems to look at both sides of the story.
    Actually u sound like their lawyer, but anyway, I think maybe the devs should use their own judgement. Protectors of cydonia is iffy, because it's not exactly the same, but Knights of Cydiona is really rediculous, anyone that thinks it's not intentional trolling is just being arguementitive.. We have the potential of getting robbed of good players because they read it wrong. Which sucks.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Yeah, I can see your point. It is ruining your playing experience, though. I'd say just report anyway, hopefully, the devs have time soon.

I wouldn't see this any different from a troll making an almost identical name as a very prominent player, worse here since it's an entire guild.
    The big problem is not that - it is identity theft.

People might join one these fake guilds and think it's the Knights of Cydonia from SL.

Another problem is that if one of these guilds has members that do something bad, it could impact the reputation of the "real Knights" in that people might mistakenly think that it is that guild that did it.

@Driazsomethingiforgot

I fail to see what legitimate reason a person would have to name their guild so similar. It would create confusion. If I were a GM, I would want a distinct name so that people know what I am. I fail to see anything other than malicious intent in this or some sort of prank in ill-taste.

And I do have to ask you, where does freedom of the press restrict itself? Should people be allowed to deceive others under the idea that it is their right under freedom of speech to do so?
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-10-2011 at 11:43 PM.