Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Myth of the KDR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Default The Myth of the KDR

Everyone knows what a Kill-Death Ratio (KDR) is. It's the amount of kills you have divided by the amount of deaths. So if you have nine kills and three deaths, your KDR would be 3. In other words, the average amount of kills that you get per death. Ok, so everyone knows what it is, but it's come to my attention that few people understand it's significance.

How many of you have heard people say something like "KDR means nothing!" Or "You can't judge a guy by his KDR!" Or perhaps you're on the flip side and hear people say something like "Wow he's so pro! He has a 5-1 KDR!" What are we to make of these kind of statements? This is where my thread will come in handy. My goal in this thread is to examine just what a KDR is and what it means. I'll do this by dispelling several common myths that we hear all the time.

Myth #1- "Bad KDR means bad pvper!"

It is so easy to size somebody up right away by their KDR. Try not to! While, as a general rule, a good pvper will, in fact, tend to have a better KDR, that is not always the case. Many times the pvper will have just caught on to pvp and his KDR will have sucked from the previous couple weeks/months or however long he's played. Shoot, he may have even gotten several thousand kills negative and is just now catching up to positive status!

Another possibility that I've found to be fairly common is that the pvper sells free kills for in game gold. I don't even know if this is allowed (I wouldn't advise it) but it does happen.

A few other possibilities include a character that someone hasn't played on in a long while and since then has improved, a character who, perhaps, gets picked on a lot for whatever reason, a character who was in a rushing guild, etc. All things said and done, there are many, many reasons why a bad KDR does not equate with a bad pvper. If you need a specific example, check out Paaahudd (check birdy DM leader board) He's one of the most talented birds I know and he doesn't even have a 1.5 KDR.

Myth #2- "Good KDR means good pvper!"

Similarly to the first myth, a good KDR doesn't mean that they're good at pvp! I know so, so many boosters! (I won't name any names) Also, a lot of times the pvper with the epic KDR doesn't even fight anyone with talent. They simply challenge the weaklings and farm the new guys. Now, this doesn't mean that everyone with a good KDR is a bad pvper. It just means that you can't judge somebody's talent by their KDR.

Myth #3- "The more kills, the more talent!"

This is also a very popular myth. Many people think that the more kills you have, the better you are at pvp. Not at all!!! The only thing that more kills means is that you've spent more time playing the game. Sure, it is very possible that by spending more time on the game, you've acquired more experience and skill. However, that doesn't have to be the case. I don't know how many cocky "pros" with some 20k+ kills have gotten mad at me for whatever reason and began rushing me only to get their butts handed to them. I don't say this to put myself up. I'm saying this to prove the point that lots of kills really doesn't mean anything more than lots of play time.

Even that last statement I made isn't always true! I remember when a guy (forgot his name) gave his account to a buddy of his. He had an intense amount of kills with like a 4-1 KDR and I don't think he even knew how to chat...much less pvp.

Myth #4 (This one is my favorite) "KDR means nothing!"

This is perhaps the greatest myth of them all and the original reason why I began writing this thread. We have already seen one reason why this simply isn't true! The bigger the amount of kills and deaths, the more time they have spent in the arena. However, this is a very minor detail considering everything else that you can determine about a person by their KDR.

I've also found KDR to be a very good indicator of a characters pvp style. When I watch another level 50 take out a glyph a couple times in a row and he has a KDR of 4,000+ kills to 3,000+ deaths, there's a very good chance that he's very reckless. He probably rushes a lot and doesn't back down ever. My guess is he's seen a lot of FFA and been teamed many times as well.

Now, if a guy has say a 4,000 kills and 1,000 deaths KDR, it paints a totally different picture. That good of a KDR can't come easy. There's a very good chance the person boosts, fights lower levels, doesn't FFA too much, teams a lot, etc. He will most likely get more upset than most if you rush him and probably doesn't hand out frees either.

There's only so many examples I can give, but I think you get the idea. KDR means a TON. It may not be a good indication of skill, but it certainly speaks volumes about everything else. Learn to read people's KDR's. Never assume anything, but always study other's KDR's.

Just figured I'd try and post a little something helpful since I haven't really tried to help anybody lately! Hopefully you learned something!
    -MM
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 11-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Thoughtful reply implemented with some constructive critisism.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dudetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

You always seem to address controversial topics in PL so skillfully, Micah. Good job!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    You always seem to address controversial topics in PL so skillfully, Micah. Good job!
    Thanks, Apollo! That means a lot coming from you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

KDR means nothing

anyway if sombody take it literally, then it's a different mater as if anyone define great comments of famous persons literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    235 Posts

I find myself giving other people rep for the sole purpose of being allowed to give Dudetus rep again.

Senior Member Fallen_Chisk_Angels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Very very true, nice done MM.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Funny you make this i was in a match the other day i beat a guy quite a few times match ends he comes on my team i say smart remark containing "im so proh, da bes" and all of a sudden he goes nahh you got negative kdr im like... And? Hah

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

5k/2k kdr spells what to you? cuz that's my 51 bear atm.... Although i pvped with him from lvl 20 on up to where he is now. Wreckless? doy, imma bear
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well, under such topics, infamous people should be named. Pakayolo has a very in-depth knowledge of KDR.

Ex-Ambassador Of Alterra
    Proud member of Turbo
    Whatever, life's still gonna move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    235 Posts

Pre forg PvP, kill count did determine how good you were pretty accurately. The few exceptions were Kayumanggi and Kawakawasaki. For the most part otherwise, the best always had a high kill count. Maybe the Insomniac guild was an exception, but they had different toons so that doesnt count.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yich For This Useful Post:

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I think KDR was cool until fb came around. Yes i use one im being a hypocrite but i dont care

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

17. The Following User Says Thank You to razerfingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yich View Post
    Pre forg PvP, kill count did determine how good you were pretty accurately. The few exceptions were Kayumanggi and Kawakawasaki. For the most part otherwise, the best always had a high kill count. Maybe the Insomniac guild was an exception, but they had different toons so that doesnt count.
    So ur saying that kawakawasaki is good? I made a troll char, then when I got to balefort to sell some of my items, I saw kawa, so I trash talk to her a bit like 'u suk' then she ends up raging, calling me nub, and challenges me. Well I feel bad and didn't expect this reaction, tats when I learn how small words can hurt.............but still.

Senior Member Fallen_Chisk_Angels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floats View Post
    So ur saying that kawakawasaki is good? I made a troll char, then when I got to balefort to sell some of my items, I saw kawa, so I trash talk to her a bit like 'u suk' then she ends up raging, calling me nub, and challenges me. Well I feel bad and didn't expect this reaction, tats when I learn how small words can hurt.............but still.
    yah try not to trash talk for no reason just saying :/

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

My kills deaths w mage is 24k kills to 20k deaths - what does that say about me?

This is a good thread!! Great job man!!
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

+1!
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Dang. Thanks for the support guys! I just expected this thread to die like any other thread. I'm glad y'all appreciate it! Hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I've also found KDR to be a very good indicator of a characters pvp style. When I watch another level 50 take out a glyph a couple times in a row and he has a KDR of 4,000+ kills to 3,000+ deaths, there's a very good chance that he's very reckless. He probably rushes a lot and doesn't back down ever. My guess is he's seen a lot of FFA and been teamed many times as well.

Now, if a guy has say a 4,000 kills and 1,000 deaths KDR, it paints a totally different picture. That good of a KDR can't come easy. There's a very good chance the person boosts, fights lower levels, doesn't FFA too much, teams a lot, etc. He will most likely get more upset than most if you rush him and probably doesn't hand out frees either.

There's only so many examples I can give, but I think you get the idea. KDR means a TON. It may not be a good indication of skill, but it certainly speaks volumes about everything else. Learn to read people's KDR's. Never assume anything, but always study other's KDR's.

If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?
    Oh, wait... No need to practice. iHax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    Dang. Thanks for the support guys! I just expected this thread to die like any other thread. I'm glad y'all appreciate it! Hehe
    Kdr is inaccurate. People may have lots of skills but is often rushed at.

Ex-Ambassador Of Alterra
    Proud member of Turbo
    Whatever, life's still gonna move on.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Loaden For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loaden View Post
    Kdr is inaccurate. People may have lots of skills but is often rushed at.
    Thank you for responding to my statement without reading my thread...

Seriously. You do realize I covered that many times in this thread right?