Thread: Mage Shield Skill Diminished by Level Cap Increase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mage Shield Skill Diminished by Level Cap Increase?

First, let me say that this post is more of a question, not an attempt at a statement of fact.

I have a concern that the mage Shield skill capability is being diminished by every level cap increase. As each level cap increases, damage output in both PVE and PVP combat does as well, while the mage Shield skill does not, and thus is less effective than before.

In my experience for example in PVP, at level cap 21 a mage with a decent build and gear, while having shield fresh and active could stop a rogue's one hit/crit kill. My experience now, is that I can be and have been one hit/crit to death, while shield is fresh and active. (I understand that this example could be argued against as there are perhaps other variables involved.)

Think of it like this, at level 46, how useful will an extra 500 HP points be relative to what damage that will be dealt. A single auto attack may negate the shield. Or, think if one of your skill's damage at level 26 was the same at level 41, but mob HP was increased, say 3x?

I'm asking if this make sense, and if so, as a correction should the 500 base damage absorbed increase as level cap increases, or it should be made a percentage of something?

(As a counter argument to my own post, perhaps the Extended Shield skill add-on does to some degree, but if so, is it enough? Also, that means that without Extended Shield, the base shield skill is still diminished.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I agree with your post.

Maybe they can make it so that the skill scales with your level. So basically, the higher level you are, the higher the dmg absorption becomes.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They won't change it....they wan more rogue to be able to 1 hit kill u as to keep the community strong so more rogue will continue to open crate for the ice baby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

STS would most probably change the strength of the skills as the level cap rises. Best if a dev confirms it though.
    Destructible - Level 21 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They should just make it percentage of your hp so it always scales to the lvl cap the more hp u got the stronger it is or maybe even to mana since mages rely on mana

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostlytwink For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

im hoping theyll gonna change it.

i still got lots of hope with my sorc. though im already frustrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I agree with your post.

Maybe they can make it so that the skill scales with your level. So basically, the higher level you are, the higher the dmg absorption becomes.
    Just like damage skills scale depending on your damage stat, maybe shield should scale based on your armor stat or even your health. Maybe it should block up to a certain percentage of your health, or maybe it should act to increase your armor by a certain percentage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It should be a Diablo style mana shield! Diverts % of damage to your mana pool.
    Our crappy animation frost bolt should also be a Diablo style spell - a giant blue orb with icy shards of death spiraling out.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

I remember 21 cap...I always used shield...It was really useful. But now, shield can be broken by a non charged aimed shot.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Tournament & Ladder Leader Genuinous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Agreed 100%, Shield dmg reduction needs to scale either with lvl or with dmg output (2nd would make more sense, but oh well). It's bound to become pointless really soon.

Also DoT on mage heal is ricidulous, with +10 hp/mana regen per sec, where rogue hp regen scales around the 50's per pack. And while for rogues that DoT heal is scaling up, it is fixed at such a crappy amount for mages... Needs update really soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genuinous View Post
    Also DoT on mage heal is ricidulous, with +10 hp/mana regen per sec, where rogue hp regen scales around the 50's per pack. And while for rogues that DoT heal is scaling up, it is fixed at such a crappy amount for mages... Needs update really soon.
    Yes, this too. Regen should be a percentage as well, not a fixed amount.

Another issue related to this is pet happiness. I've often wondered how special colton's +30 INT will be at level 50 compared to what it was at level 15. While his damage scales up as he levels up, his happiness bonus does not. But I guess the answer here is better pets being released over time.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 03-23-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Similar to VB in a way (but the case for Mage shield MUCH greater)

At lv 16, 500 hp heal from vengeful blood was pretty dang nice for a warrior and made juggernaut pale in comparison. Nowadays, 500 hp can barely cover 1 attack from elite mob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree. Since the last level cap and recent warrior upgrades I'm finding my shield is way less effective. I am a leaderboard mage flagger and its getting almost imoossible for me to flag much anymore. Plus my fireball works weird now. Even when not fully charged it fires away from enemy in both pve and pvp. I also used to win more than 50 percent of the time against warriors now its more like 25 percent if that. I have never complained about pvp being unbalanced before, but I really think it is now. If I can't flag anymore and can't kill warriors much anymore I am only good for support in a team which gets boring. I have however figured out how to kill most rogues. I kill them about 75 percent of the time. I totally agree about the shield being less effective especially now that pvp is over populated with tanks now.I also find it convenient that they gave the warrior upgrades right after they ended free respecs. This was a direct attemp to get mages to buy platinum to try and figure the tanks out again.