Thread: How does damage work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Question How does damage work?

So, I looked at some guides and it says everywhere that: damage = (your damage - enemy armor)

I did some tests with my level 1 twinks:

bird attacking a bird

my damage is: 15-27
    enemy armor is: 2

Armor definition:
    Armor: Every one armor point is equivalent to one less damage an enemy will do to you.
    So by logic I should be doing 13-25 damage, but I was infact doing only 8-15 damage. So there must be something different in the equation... but what?

damage = A x (your damage - enemy armor)

A = ?
    Last edited by LEVEL ONE; 03-23-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Did more tests, and I imagine its something like this:

Damage = (your damage -enemy armor) : A

And judging by my short tests A = (very) roughly 1.7

..... But why? What affects A? What is A?
    Last edited by LEVEL ONE; 03-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

First off, the equation you mentioned first isn't accurate but for rough estimate. again if u test in different scenario as for example, with another level, you will notice that your 'A' giving different result, the reason maybe that A may not be a constant number but rather an variable that depends on other factors, which has not been revealed or discovered yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by legendfb View Post
    First off, the equation you mentioned first isn't accurate but for rough estimate. again if u test in different scenario as for example, with another level, you will notice that your 'A' giving different result, the reason maybe that A may not be a constant number but rather an variable that depends on other factors, which has not been revealed or discovered yet.
    That is exactly what Im wondering about. I am pretty sure it is a constant and not a variable though.

Its not hard to test it though, just go in a 1vs1 pvp fight. All you need to know is opponents armor and your damage. Then you start attacking him and watching how much damage you are doing to him. Determine the lowest and highest damage you dealt and divide (your lowest damage in your stats - opponents armor) with the first number (lowest damage dealt). Then divide the (max damage in your stats - opponents armor) with the max damage dealt. You should get roughly the number 1.7 by both. But Im not sure...

Someone test this, please.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LEVEL ONE For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Damage is DPS. So for example if your DPS is 10, that means the damage per second you'll be doing to an enemy with 0 armor would be 10. If the enemy's armor was 5, you would be doing 5 damage. So theoretically if you were only doing 8-15 damage, and you were supposed to do 13-25 damage, it would mean that the enemy would have 5-10 armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reun View Post
    Damage is DPS. So for example if your DPS is 10, that means the damage per second you'll be doing to an enemy with 0 armor would be 10. If the enemy's armor was 5, you would be doing 5 damage. So theoretically if you were only doing 8-15 damage, and you were supposed to do 13-25 damage, it would mean that the enemy would have 5-10 armor.
    Damage is not DPS, DPS = Average damage x Weapon speed

The thing showing above the enemies head is not DPS but damage you do in 1 hit. And as I already said, the enemy had 2 armor.

And btw... armor is only 1 number and its not somewhere in between 5-10 as you said, for example.
    Last edited by LEVEL ONE; 03-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

@reun, the lvl 1 is right, dmg is not dps, again the calculation u did there is partially wrong and calculating dps is bit tough but if weapon speed is exactly 1, then ur calculation is correct.

@lvl 1, it is not even clear that pve and pvp mechanism is same anyway as I said, with different lvl and different scenario you will get different result for A, that simply implying that A depends on other factors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by legendfb View Post
    @lvl 1, it is not even clear that pve and pvp mechanism is same anyway as I said, with different lvl and different scenario you will get different result for A, that simply implying that A depends on other factors.
    Well, Im talking only about pvp here, but I dont see why devs would bother making it different in pve (unless this "A" is a result of (re)balancing pvp).

As I said, it has to be tested. I would test it on higher levels, but all my characters are level 1.
    Last edited by LEVEL ONE; 03-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.