Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Arcane Legends a pay-to-win game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Default Is Arcane Legends a pay-to-win game?

This is the General Discussion section, so why not bring up a "discussion" worthy topic. I thought i'd like to shed some light on a question that may have crossed some of your minds. It's good to be aware of other players' opinions, and what people have to say about certain issues. So the topic that i will bring forth for the community to discuss is:

Is Arcane Legends a pay-to-win game?

Meaning, is the only way to be significantly successful or to "win" is by literally buying advantages and perks. By buying, i am referring to real-life currency not in-game currency. Ex. Buying plat for $100 not Buying gear for 100,000 coins.

If it is, why do you think so?

If not, does it seem like it is going to be a pay-to-win game?

How do you feel about a pay-to-win game?

Just some interesting things to discuss.

My position on this issue is that it isn't a pay-to-win game. What about you?

Want that perfect signature like mine? Check out over here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Naw I thibk you pay to lose cause you get nothing out of it...as far as equipment. We are in xharge of auction..if we collectivelt lowered pricing people wouldn't have to buy so much gold. 89.99 gets u 1.7 million... u xant even buy one end game swors at that price sometimes
    Darko GM of Vengeance | Darkfury Operative | Darkmyth Operative | Darkstone Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

pay-to-get-cheap-items-with-no-arcane-eggs
    Last edited by Greencrow; 03-24-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    ^ Battle Dragons IGN

Et tu, brute?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Its obviously faster to get the best items by spending quite a bit of money gambling. It would take longer to merchant starting out with nothing. I guess I would say no its not currently pay to win. If they make elixirs useable in pvp then it will be pay to win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Rollo good point on elixir, I remember u xould use elixers in pl pvp...so unfair
    Darko GM of Vengeance | Darkfury Operative | Darkmyth Operative | Darkstone Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

In every mmo game u can buy items for cash by this way, or ebay.
    So are u asking is this mmo game? Hmm... Yes?
    AL: Ishyrionek (31 Warrior)
    AL: Ishyrion (30 Rogue)
    AL: Ishyrionus (30 Wizzard)
    BD: Ishyrion (7)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's pay to win for time runners: you need team with hooks to break the records. No hooks no win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ishyrionek View Post
    I'm asking if buying items is the only way to win, or if it's still possible to become successful in this game without contributing any real-life currency

Want that perfect signature like mine? Check out over here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

It's a pay-to-lose money in rl game.
    Lel. You Fanny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Currently it isn't. It is slowly becoming so though. I'm thinking of quitting if this goes on much further.

So far though, i haven't spent a single penny on AL, and i'm still doing pretty good with gold leftovers after twinking all my alts.
    Destructible - Level 21 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I told myself I wouldn't spend any real money on this game, but I got to the point where I had to spend some to get extra inventory and auction slots which really helped when farming+merchanting to build up my gold. The morning the new pet arrived a few days ago I had just over 100k and a few eggs+crates saved in my inventory, I sold those then went on and bought+sold more items to bring my gold amount to just over 300k - not a lot compared to the people who trade in the millions but now I don't have to worry about buying shedloads of potions and maybe I can get some better armour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Arcane Legends and all STS games are "Freemium" games. Meaning you don't have to spend a single red cent to play the game and you have access to everything. To date, in Arcane Legends, the only thing us premium players (meaning players that spend money is all) have gotten that the normal free players haven't is the VIP Chest. Other than that you have all the same access and rates as everyone around you.

Now for the true definition of Fremium, like i said before you don't have to spend any money, but if you want that "edge" or have quick access to items, thats when you start shelling out real life money.

The only thing that comes to mind right now that you HAVE to spend real money on consistently is opening crates. But that's your option to open them or to sell them. People say that Platinum runs this game, but it's gold and always will be. You buy platinum or do free offers for platinum to get items to eventually sell for gold or improve your chances at obtaining more gold.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ishyrionek View Post
    Mostly just free to play mmos. Which is fine I don't mind spending money on a good game every now and then. New vanities etc. Over powered pets excluded (I don't like those either) The problem is when they sell gear or basically ask you to gamble on the best items in the game. They want you to essentially buy power and in my opinion that kills the spirit of competition. You could put the work in, and be stomped by someone who dropped 100-1000$, knowing they didn't really learn how to play the class or basically put the time in.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

I havent spent a penny on ANY sts game......

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ever played conquer online? This is dollar store cheap compared.. even the people that spent a few thousand on this game. I've seen people spend more than a car is worth in co.. that is a pay to win, where if u don't pay u basically can't win without plenty of luck. I've also played wow for a few years in the beginning, a perfect example of subscription based game where everything is free, just takes ALL of your time and energy to win. this game is a nice middle ground. No subscription and you can do just fine never spending, but if u do then u will have an advantage, as it should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

You have to spend some money to be competitive in AL. As was mentioned above, you will need some more inventory slots, auction slots, etc. But you can compete just fine without ever spending large amounts of plat. I bought one single $90 plat package back in November when I started playing and I still have a nice chunk of it leftover, yet I compete just fine. I finished in the top 25 sorcerer leaderboard last season, and this season I am currently on two of the sorcerer leaderboards (top sorcerer & flags).

Yes, spending money and buying lots of plat will make it easier to get better gear and make more money (since you can just buy money), but there are plenty of places to compete where spending money will not help you much at all. For example, in PvP you must put in the time if you want to be among the leaders in kills or flags.

If you want to be realistic about it, you must spend some money to even play the game since you will need some sort of device/computer and that isn't free either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

It is not a pay-to-win game. It is free-to-play meaning that not everything will be free but you don't need to spend a single dollar in game to be successful. I have around 700 platinum, and I still have about 100 just in case something cool comes around. But lately I've noticed STS has been coming out with pets that require spent money or downloading offers to earn, and it is still left up to chance if you get the pet or not. Seems like they are trying to get more cash out of us. Stupid chests...

EDIT: And I totally forgot about the auction and inventory slot purchasing. You may need to buy some.

name == KAZILLO // status?* >offline< **time.approx "awhile"
    rebooting. . . .
    *status?* >online<

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

Pay-mark-to-win game

Just pay me an i guarentee u will be a winner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Destructible:1020753
    Currently it isn't. It is slowly becoming so though. I'm thinking of quitting if this goes on much further.

So far though, i haven't spent a single penny on AL, and i'm still doing pretty good with gold leftovers after twinking all my alts.
    Which is why it will go more towards pay to win. If people don't spend money on what is available now, PGI will have to make the plat items more compelling (and reduce drop rates for non-plat items too).
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LwMark View Post
    Just pay me an i guarentee u will be a winner!
    LOL I think this is what g meant with the "trollish" remark.