Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you addicted to crates?

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Default Are you addicted to crates?

There have been a staggering number of threads lately with players raging about the evils of locked crates and all the plat they are losing. While locked crates might not be for everyone, in moderation they can be a fun, relaxing way to spend some extra plat. They only become evil when players become addicted to opening them. So how would one know if they have become addicted to opening crates? Glad you asked, because I have put together a helpful test that you can use to self evaluate your crate opening habits. Please remember that crate addiction is a serious disorder and recognizing you have it is the first step to recovery.

1. Have there ever been periods lasting 2 weeks or longer when you spent a lot of time thinking about your crate opening experiences, planning out future crate opening ventures or thinking about ways of getting money to open crates with?
    2. Have there ever been periods when you needed to open higher-level crates than before in order to get the same feeling of excitement?
    3. Have you ever felt restless or irritable when trying to stop, cut down, or control your crate opening?
    4. Have you tried and not succeeded in stopping, cutting down, or controlling your crate opening three or more times in your life?
    5. Have you ever opened crates to escape from personal problems, or to relieve uncomfortable feelings such as guilt, anxiety, helplessness, or depression?
    6. Has there ever been a period when, if you lost gold opening crates one day, you would often return another day to get even?
    7. Did you ever open crates to get gold with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
    8. Have you lied to family members, friends, or others about how much you open crates, and/or about how much money you lost on opening crates, on at least three occasions?
    9. Did you ever open more crates then you had planned?
    10. Does crate opening cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
    11. Have you ever written a bad check or taken money that didn't belong to you from family members, friends, or anyone else in order to pay for your opening of crates?
    12. Has your crate opening ever caused serious or repeated problems in your relationships with any of your family members or friends? Or, has your crate opening ever caused you problems at work or at school? *
    13. Have you ever needed to ask family members, friends, a lending institution, or anyone else to loan you money or otherwise bail you out of a desperate money situation that was largely caused by your crate opening?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

I can't answer this all because I didn't spent a platinum at all ya-ha!
    ^ Battle Dragons IGN

Et tu, brute?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I only open crates when I can get free plat from w31. So about 5 crates for me. I can spend plat but I prefer to play without my visa card, more difficult and more fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts

I admit to be guilty with some of the points here but upon realizing that I had no luck with them, I still continued to abuse them - by selling them for an average of 3k gold to feed my pet and cover my expenses of elite farming. Well that for me is the best use of these crates now.
    duck dynasty falls

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Limsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

The Arcane Friends Guild of the Great City of Kraag recommends the following steps to recover from Crate Opening Addiction:

1. admitting that you cannot control your addiction to opening crates... If you could control it, it wouldn't be an addiction, would it?

2. recognizing a higher power that can give strength when you need to resist opening crates... It doesn't have to be an infinite cosmic power, but that can help.

3. examining past errors in opening crates with the help others who have successfully stopped compulsively opening crates... Though these may be hard to find at this time.

4. making amends for these errors... You may even need to give away all your pinks.

5. learning to play a new Arcane Legends with a new code of plat spending... It can be a struggle, so keep a journal.

6. helping others who suffer from Crate Opening Addiction... This will keep the compulsion in your mind's eye, so it can't sneak up on you again.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 04-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

This thread me lol addiction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limsyoker:1026857
    I admit to be guilty with some of the points here but upon realizing that I had no luck with them, I still continued to abuse them - by selling them for an average of 3k gold to feed my pet and cover my expenses of elite farming. Well that for me is the best use of these crates now.
    Crate pusher lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I "Just say no" to crates.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I have a problem so I called aa and ga they both laughed at me and hung up, so I quit cold turkey. It is a day to day struggle, but I figure I can do it if I stick with it, eventually I won't even care whats inside those crates anymore.

I will no longer pay for non paying players to gain more free content at my expense. Let's see how this works out.. One day at a time.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

quitting opening crates is easy. I do it all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limsyoker View Post
    i was broke for the longest time... not bec of crates.. but addiction of gettin what i want LOL
    i was at 100k last week, now im at 3m + thats addiction for gettin what i want for ya ( pros n cons )

i found myself a great way to get money , less than 12 hours = 300k and im still collecting, (from lastnight till now) im like tax collector
    i guess all i could say is thank u for the ppl who are very kind and giving LOL
    Last edited by inkredible; 03-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

i remember the first time I opened a crate... I felt so dirty afterwards...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

It's best to have a Crate buddy or buddies. Whenever I feel weak and Crates look extra tempting, I tell them and they remind me "Don't Open the Crate!" or tell me how pointless it is to do so. That usually works for a few days.

LOL

Star light, star bright...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

Change people places and things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    It's best to have a Crate buddy or buddies. Whenever I feel weak and Crates look extra tempting, I tell them and they remind me "Don't Open the Crate!" or tell me how pointless it is to do so. That usually works for a few days.

LOL

LOL, tbh ive DEFFFINITELY opened less than 10 crates ever since update, its really just not worth it for me
    im just sayin, if you want money badly, theres so many other ways of gettin it
    u spend CRAZY amount of $$$$$$$$$$ , not only u waste money but u also waste your time if you get nothing

OR
    YOU SPEND CRAZYYYYYY amount of time running elites , gettin elite gold pirate , u might waste ur time for not gettin anythin, but
    youre not losing much, eventually after maybe 100 runs ull get somethin that has worth

u spend 1000+ crates.. get nothin, its up to you

editeD: now i understand the pets , what most ppl want.. and u cant get it from elite or maps
    well is that pet really worth it?

is that pet $1000 worth? LOL u couldve goneeeeee to carribean for a week have a nice vacation for that money
    Last edited by inkredible; 03-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Don't waste my time, don't waste yours

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    I remember a certain someone fussing at me for doing a few Mega Maze runs. *cough*^^^^^^^^*cough*
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I remember a certain someone fussing at me for doing a few Mega Maze runs. *cough*^^^^^^^^*cough*
    mega maze runs were my starter plat spending habit. After that I kept wanting more more more! Idk how it happened but I ended up in a dark ally... all my plats were gone and dozens of opened crates were scattered around me man. It's then I realized I had a problem but I was too afraid to admit it. All my friends who hung out with me when I had tons of plat were gone. They up and left when the party was over. I didn't know who to turn to and had no where to go. Right then and there I knew help wasn't coming from outside but from within. I was strong enough, I was good enough, and dog on it, people like me! I didn't need help from anyone else, I was strong enough on my own! You say no man is an island? I say I'm hawaii baby, heck, I'm not hawaii, I'm papua new guinea (unless it's smaller than hawaii then I'm hawaii)! I picked myself up by my boot straps and started my STS life over again man and now I'm feeling great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

That's why they gave out the free VIP crates. They wanted to get you hooked! hehe

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    The Arcane Friends Guild of the Great City of Kraag recommends the following steps to recover from Crate Opening Addiction:

1. admitting that you cannot control your addiction to opening crates... If you could control it, it wouldn't be an addiction, would it?

2. recognizing a higher power that can give strength when you need to resist opening crates... It doesn't have to be an infinite cosmic power, but that can help.

3. examining past errors in opening crates with the help others who have successfully stopped compulsively opening crates... Though these may be hard to find at this time.

4. making amends for these errors... You may even need to give away all your pinks.

5. learning to play a new Arcane Legends with a new code of plat spending... It can be a struggle, so keep a journal.

6. helping others who suffer from Crate Opening Addiction... This will keep the compulsion in your mind's eye, so it can't sneak up on you again.

Godd luck!
    Haha!

The twelve steps of the locked crate-aholics:

1. Step
    We admitted we were powerless over crates - that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Step
    Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Step
    Made a decision to turn our will and our virtual lives over to the care of the God of Arlor as we understood Him.
    4. Step
    Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Step
    Admitted to the God of Arlor, to ourselves, and to another Sorc,Rogue or Warrior being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6.Step
    Were entirely ready to have the God of Arlor remove all these defects of character.
    7. Step
    Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Step
    Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Step
    Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Step
    Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
    11. Step
    Sought through e-mails and countless threads to improve our conscious contact with the God of Arlor as we understood Him.
    12. Step
    Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to crate-holics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post

XD I nearly choked when i read this.