Thread: PvP vs PvE skills/ NB vs trap vs SSS vs combat medic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question PvP vs PvE skills/ NB vs trap vs SSS vs combat medic?

Hi everyone!
    Currently I'm a level 18 rogue, and I need some help thinking about how to distribute my still points :/

At the moment, I have aimed shot 3/5 (or maybe 2/5 I can't really remember -_-; ), shadow veil, noxious bolt, and razor blade 2/5. I allocated the rest of my points into the dexterity passive skill. I have four more skill points left to distribute.

I thought about buying a respec and switching noxious bolt with either combat medic or SSS, but I can't decide NB has poison damage, but I've heard that SSS can have a greater aoe effect with up to six targets. Combat medic seemed useful because I wouldn't have to buy so many health potions all the time. On the bad side to combat medic, I worry that it would be difficult to run to the health packs in fast-paced fights.
    I also heard that the trapping skill is also useful, so I am considering that skill also. But at the same time, I've read reviews about how the trap skill is useless. How useful is trap?

Another thing to consider: the ideal pve skills and pvp skills are different, I've heard. If I want to be good in both pvp and pve, which skills should I have??

Ideally, I would like to have skills that will help me solo missions in pve and benefit me in pvp.

So basically....... Which skills are good in your opinion/ do the skills you prefer help you in pvp or pve/ what are you opinions about SSS, trap, combat medic, and noxious bolt?

Thanks to all who reply to this question!!!!!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Sorry, you lost me at 3/5 in Aimed. Get that to 5/5 then continue.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Health packs are more of a PvP skill.

I use Nox and SSS, they both are useful AoE skills for PvE. I ranted about how awesome Nox is in another thread so I won't go there again...lol. Its hard to figure out a good build for PvP and PvE (the reason why I quit PvP). I would say if you had to choose Nox or SSS I would go with Nox due to the fact it's usefull for both PvP and PvE. I would also keep Health packs over Trap unless you switch to pure PvE.
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Lmao! ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lol okay. I have 5/5 now, thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    Health packs are more of a PvP skill.

I use Nox and SSS, they both are useful AoE skills for PvE. I ranted about how awesome Nox is in another thread so I won't go there again...lol. Its hard to figure out a good build for PvP and PvE (the reason why I quit PvP). I would say if you had to choose Nox or SSS I would go with Nox due to the fact it's usefull for both PvP and PvE. I would also keep Health packs over Trap unless you switch to pure PvE.
    Yes, I think I will have to give up pvp for now and aim for a good pve build. Which upgrades should I do for SSS, NB, and health Packs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

If you plan to be pure PvE I'd suggest getting rid of health packs. A wise pro once told my formal noob self "why waste time laying out packs when you can be doing damage" as an Assassin you're going to have to spam pots, there is no way around that...lol. SSS, 3/5: Muti target and +25% DMG on crit. NB, 3/5: +10% damage for every second poisoned and Add 3 seconds to poison upgrades.
    Last edited by Zuzeq; 04-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    If you plan to be pure PvP I'd suggest getting rid of health packs. A wise pro once told my formal noob self "why waste time laying out packs when you can be doing damage" as an Assassin you're going to have to spam pots, there is no way around that...lol. SSS, 3/5: Muti target and +25% DMG on crit. NB, 3/5: +10% damage for every second poisoned and Add 3 seconds to poison upgrades.
    okay.
    Thanks so much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~ARI~ View Post
    Lol okay. I have 5/5 now, thank you.
    Cool. Now for a piece of skill advice. I have seen traps be the difference between wipe and victory in Elite Southern Seas because the net can suck in the gunners and your team can then tear them apart instead of them picking you off.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Cool. Now for a piece of skill advice. I have seen traps be the difference between wipe and victory in Elite Southern Seas because the net can suck in the gunners and your team can then tear them apart instead of them picking you off.
    Can trap be that effective in grouping enemies together? o_O Many have told me the skill was useless unless you set it up correctly. I'm guessing you prefer having the trap skill though... ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Zuzeq, are you a bow rogue? If so, I must ask; I thought of becoming a bow rogue instead of a dagger rogue, but I worried that killing enemies might be too slow because arrows kill only one target, unless you use SSS which kills more that one target sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Zuzeq, are you a bow rogue? If so, I must ask; I thought of becoming a bow rogue instead of a dagger rogue, but I worried that killing enemies might be too slow because arrows kill only one target, unless you use SSS which kills more that one target sometimes.

I'm THE bow rogue Sir! It all depends on your playing style, some enjoy swiming through the mobs. You can do AoE damage as a bow user or a dagger user. As far as bowin, Nox and SSS does good AoE. Once the mob gets evenly down to 1/2 HP from spaming NB, AS, and SSS it should only take one a couple of seconds to pick em off one by one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Can trap be that effective in grouping enemies together? o_O Many have told me the skill was useless unless you set it up correctly. I'm guessing you prefer having the trap skill though... ?
    Trap definitely takes practice but once you get the hang of it the skill is indispensable.

Blades are also single target unless you charge, which I don't recommend. The main reason I use a bow in elites is because I can position myself behind the warrior and keep up a steady stream of damage with minimal risk. I also use a bow in most normal maps because no matter how fast the speed of the blades are, since the bow can kill the mob from a distance it will always have a faster over all kill time then going up to each mob.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Somewhere in Asia, on an island over the rainbow...double rainbows...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

You can always use shadow piercer with a bow.
    PL: Surfy (Deleted the game already) SL: Surfy Com, Meowy Ops, Gravelyn Engi, Warstorm Com DL: Surfy (Deleted the game already) AL: Surfie Sorcerer, Orpisai Warrior, Chiobuu Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts

Just go for combat medic, aimed shot, shadow priercer and razor shield... that is best build for pvp and pve (i say that... if u dont wanna u dont need to agree with it )