Thread: Agile Lifethief of Potency - calculation error?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Agile Lifethief of Potency - calculation error?

Hey all - first post - I searched for answer first, but did not find.

I happen to like the ALP - even though it is not best damage or DPS. I like that it heals as I damage so I can save potions and not worry about heal skill. When combined with healing from piercing attack, I can run through some of the easier maps without slowing down to heal. However, the info on the weapon states that it returns 15% of damage, however, I repeatedly seem to only get about 7% of healed. This is whether I hit normal or with critical damage. Also, this occurs whether I have a damage buff from pet or not. It is always about 7%. For example, I hit with 177 damage and get healed 13. That amount is not much, I know, and doubling it would make little difference, but when I crit on several enemies at once the number jumps significantly - I should (if it was 15%) be able to get about 200+ healed - which could make a difference on harder maps.

I know as rogue I should be focusing on max damage and let others in party heal me, but sometimes I like to go solo hunting - or I have to break from the pack to take out archers and mages and having that little extra healing would help.

But, maybe I am looking at this or calculating wrong??

Can somebody else please confirm that I am not missing something? thanks

Rohe

PS - I don't mean to complain - overall this is an amazing game considering it is basically free. SPS is a talented group. I just feel like I am missing something since the weapon clearly states 15% and I am getting 7%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Your calculations may be correct.

However, one point. I believe you are only going to get proc heal using weapon attacks. Not, for example, from your Aimed Shot. So with Alp, you are looking at what? Tops around 400dmg with a crit?

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the attacks are charged weapon attacks - no skills - I believe this is the only way to get the heal bonus with ALP.

I tested again and have several examples - all of which are attacks in King Dude Ditty bard story.

normal attack - 246 damage + 18 extra damage = 18 heal which is 7.3% of just the reg damage or 6.8% of all damage
    normal attack - 261 damage + 18 extra damage = 18 heal which is 6.8% or 6.4% of all damage
    normal attack - 253 damage + 20 extra damage = 20 heal which is 7.9% or 7.3% of all damage
    normal attack - 260 damage + 25 critical extra damage = 25 heal which is 9.6% or or 8.8% of all damage
    see all screen shots below
    note: I made sure that the issue isn't that I am close to 100% health - I had plenty of missing hitpoints.

So the pattern I noticed is that the extra damage always corresponds to the heal amount. I wasn't sure what this bonus damage was at first, but now I see that it is somehow related to healing that ALP does. So, I am not sure what is going on. Hopefully someone can look at the screenshots I have attached and figure it out. The one with the crit is hard to read because I am getting hit at the same time, but when viewed full size, I can see that I was doing 260 in damage (in red). In that one, it is also weird that the crit only seemed to apply to the bonus damage, not my regular damage which is much larger. When I crit with my bow or any other weapon, which doesn't get the bonus damage that ALP does, the normal damage gets the crit so it is much better. It is like the ALP gets punished.

Name:  253 hit.png
Views: 331
Size:  281.9 KB
    Name:  246 hit.png
Views: 328
Size:  333.1 KB
    Name:  260 crit hit.png
Views: 469
Size:  344.0 KB

thanks again,
    Rohe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I miss when alps were king ;(
    Ign - slashyroth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Hmm, wonder if there is some bug which takes into account the armor of enemy or even yourself
    and accourdingly reduces the amount of hp you steal from the enemy. It would be interesting to test
    it out on enemies with different amounts of armor and even with yourself with different amounts of
    armour. Wouldn't it be funny if your armour was actually protecting you from getting healed, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

more testing...

I stripped all my armour off as suggested by the Dr. but that made no difference - only got hit-on by some dude - even though I am a dude myself - that was funny. And, I tried on different enemies (armour levels) and that only made a difference as far as the main damage I was inflicting. For example, with some weaker enemies, I would hit in the low to mid 300's and then I would heal in the low 20's - which is again around 7%.

The only thing I can think of is that the bonus damage and thus healing amount is based on the base damage - before bonus damage is applied. With my Rogue, my base damage is about 165 with the ALP. 15% of that is in the low 20's where I usually heal. The lower amounts I first recorded are probably due to enemy armour reducing the damage. When I do charged attack, I think my bonus damage multiplier (~260%) is being applied - which would make my max damage about 400 - when reduced by enemy armour it would be in the high 200's which is what I was doing in my screenshots above - but it seems like the ALP heal amount is based on damage before bonus damage multiplier is applied.

So for me- there are two potential bugs here:

1. The calculator for amount of healing on the ALP should be getting applied to the total damage after bonus damage rather than the base damage of the weapon - especially since the healing effect only works when you charge your weapon and you get bonus damage always when you charge. The amount of healing that ALP does is really insignificant given that the average heal is only 1-3% of my health...really? is that the intent? If ALP healed according to full damage - it would still only be 2-7% of health depending on how many enemies you hit, I think that is pretty reasonable. And, if the crit ability is "fixed" then, on the instances where you crit, you would heal 4-14%. That seems quite reasonable given that ALP ability is only applied to charged weapon attacks - not skills.

2. When using ALP the extra damage you get for a critical hit (which I am pretty sure is different than bonus damage) is applied to the small amount of extra damage that ALP does related to the heal, and not the main damage that you do - which is different than other weapons. This discrepancy is highlighted by the fact that when I crit with worn daggers (a weak common weapon) I do about 250 damage which is the same amount of damage I do when I crit with ALP - that HAS to be a bug.

I work in the software industry (and I may be dating myself with the term "software") so I know many times bugs get misreported - so I am putting this out there to get some agreement that people feel this is actually a bug before I post this in the bugs section. Please let me know.

thanks,
    Rohe