Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Tarasa Update Analysis and Reaction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default Tarasa Update Analysis and Reaction

This expansion has been out for only a few hours and it's already started taking fire from the community. While I'm generally a supporter of STS, even I have to admit there are a few glaring problems. This post is based on preliminary information, and will be updated as I gather more info.

Equipment: The Tarasa equipment is similar to the Crusade items that came before it. The Scorn weapons have been replaced by UC colonial hardware, but the armor remains the same. There are also new implants, which are still inferior to the plat store implants from three expansions ago. I've yet to see any of the retro armor mentioned in the announcement, but I assume it is there somewhere. The plat store has received new items, specifically an updated version of the plat armor from Voleria, which while not the new design people were hoping for, is okay. However, the fact that its laughably underpowered (my purple crusade gear beats it by a substantial margin) is not. New shields are still MIA, and the Tarasa pistols are rifles lack the armor boost of class weapons, making pistol+shield or rifle loadouts dangerous at best and suicidal at worst (though I've seen people trying both, for some unfathomable reason). However, the weapon design contest gear has been added, which is a nice touch. All in all, Tarasa equipment is ok, but lacks the innovation that defined Crusade.

Mobs: This expansion ramps up the difficultly of mobs, perhaps too much so. The Vular drones aren't that bad, but the tanks are extremely hard to take out, as their self-healing rate exceeds the amount of damage the average party can dish out. Worst of all are the Biomech bosses, who are just as absurdly tough as their Crusade ancestor, Durrex. The balance seems to be favoring high level parties (much like Crusade), but the balance is off a little bit, and its very hard to fight them at low levels. And the Biomechs could stand to be dialed back a few notches.

Meta-game: Crusade changed the meta-game by bring class weapons back into use (aside from the occasional pistol+shield holdout and napalm users). Tarasa tried to force players to work together as a team, but fell short. The lack of stimpacks (not in itself a problem) means engineers are vital parts of a party, but the auto-healing tanks force a team to have a large number of commando and operatives in order to deal with the huge health regen of the tanks and fend off the crowds of vular drones that accompany the tanks. striking a balance between the two is something of challenge. Adding onto the difficulty, Tarasa is evidently designed to encourage players to cooperate and coordinate, something that the SL interface is not designed to allow. There's a line between "hardcore" and "masochistic", and Tarasa seems to be on the wrong side of it.

Level design: The new maps are pretty good, expanding upon the initial design of STS-25 as seen in Crusade. The health stations are a nice touch, but are positioned so far away from the main combat zones that they are only useful for post-battle recover, not the mid-fight pick-me-up that they were likely intended for. The inclusion of crates that drop leveled loot is a nice touch, since the STS-25 level from Crusade lacked them. The one problem I have is that the mob starting locations are often too close to the player spawn. almost every time I join a game, I get tossed into a seething mass of vular and players pounding on each other, and several times I've been killed before I can get my buffs cast and return fire.

Other: Crusade felt like remake expansion, going back to old stomping ground and revitalizing them with new content. It added new mechanics like the death tornadoes and drone followers (I never said they were universally beloved mechanics), and pushed the envelope for what could be done. It didn't push much, but it did push. Tarasa feels like a rush job. I don't mind the recycled mobs, maps, and gear (If I did, I would've quite playing STS games a long time ago). The problem is that there are so many little issues that come up. The number of available quests hasn't changed since Crusade, and the only new achievement that I can find is the one for reaching lvl 50, the others (for completing all maps, beating the boss, ect) are missing. The NPCs handing out vanities for reaching the level cap are gone, and the galaxy map hasn't been updated to include Tarasa (or Crusade, for that matter). None of the staple features from other games (daily rewards, allies, ect) were added. Tarasa seems more like a few levels and some new items to get people interested in the next expansion (like the UCS Savant), rather than being a full expansion in its own right. Cahaun and I made several comparisons to Alien Oasis in the "What would REALLY improve Star Legends?" thread, and to continue that analogy, Tarasa comes across as a weak version the first section of Alien Oasis. There are hints of larger things, but its hard to tell if there really is anything else planned.

Conclusion: I think very highly of STS, and try to think the best of them. That's why I hope Tarasa is the lead-up to something bigger and better, because right now it looks a lot like STS just threw something together to satisfy the people who have been whining about the lack of content. I don't want that to be the case, because it shows very little regard for STS's customers If it that is the case, I would have preferred it if STS had gone out and said "listen, we're really busy with AL right now. We haven't forgotten SL, and we've been working on a brand new update. However, its going to be while until we can release it, so we put something together to tide you over until then". People respect honest and forthrightness, but they hate feeling like someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
    Last edited by Battlegrinder; 04-29-2013 at 01:04 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Battlegrinder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Very well said. I still need to go through the entire content before I can make a good opinion on it all.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I've been In sl for an hour, and I can't seem to find any arbiter npc.

Is arbiter automatic once you reach 51?
    Lel. You Fanny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gison:1068097
    I've been In sl for an hour, and I can't seem to find any arbiter npc.

Is arbiter automatic once you reach 51?
    No one has capped yet nor a dev comment on this so I guess we'll find out once someone caps at 51.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

My friend (Sacrificed) is 10k off 51. Cheer him on.
    Lel. You Fanny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I too need to go through the content to really offer an opinion. I don't see a whole lot of creativity so far though. I don't see these levels bringing a whole lot of people back though. They seem like an afterthought almost, hopefully the next chapter will offer some truly new content.
    PL: Seilhpares - Bird
    SL: Arthurdent -ENG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gison:1068103
    My friend (Sacrificed) is 10k off 51. Cheer him on.
    Wow! I guess we'll find out really soon!

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Since update came out, I'm back on Star Legends!
    Anyone 51 yet?
    Last edited by Spyce; 04-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

what is the xp for 51?
    PL: Seilhpares - Bird
    SL: Arthurdent -ENG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I've pretty much given up on sts. They post in al forums daily and updates feel like the same. Then dl gets a lvl cap raise with absolutely 0 content not even a new map. Then sl gets this.. and just to prove my point I CHALLENGE ANY DEV to even bother posting here and I'm talking about soon not a week from now. If they don't just proves they don't care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The-Sandman View Post
    I've pretty much given up on sts. They post in al forums daily and updates feel like the same. Then dl gets a lvl cap raise with absolutely 0 content not even a new map. Then sl gets this.. and just to prove my point I CHALLENGE ANY DEV to even bother posting here and I'm talking about soon not a week from now. If they don't just proves they don't care.
    DL got a cap increase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder View Post
    I would have preferred it if STS had gone out and said "listen, we're really busy with AL right now. We haven't forgotten SL, and we've been working on a brand new update. However, its going to be while until we can release it, so we put something together to tide you over until then". People respect honest and forthrightness, but they hate feeling like someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
    👏 Well said! Sts, listen to this guy, he Knows what he's talking about

14.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Hi Battlegrinder,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts about the update. That’s a great post and we really appreciate you writing it down for us.

Maybe I can step back a bit and fill you in more where the update to STS-25 came from. Right now, as you might be aware, Arcane Legends is our biggest game to date. It has blown the doors off of what our other games have ever done. We are closing in on 7 Million downloads after only 5 months. That’s why you see the activity you do in Arcane – justifiably so, as we work hard to serve the largest share of Spacetime players.

All of Spacetime games are labors of love. They came from our hearts and will always have a special place for us.

This expansion was done by one designer, in their extra time, because of their love for the game and their desire to give the community more to do. We never said this was going to be a massive update and we hope we did not set your expectations too high, but this really was done out of love and for you guys.

It is what we can give you at the moment. We hope that it is enough for now. Keep up the constructive feedback and we'll try to make the most out of it.

Cheers,

- g
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Feels like justg wrote us a break up letter... </3 "they came from our heart and will always have a special place for us"
    Last edited by Deazafla; 04-26-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Sl-engi 50. Op 50. Com 40 GiRls just wanna have fun!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deazafla For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I understand you justg but I mean can you tell us at least something like the next cap for example in pl is in (blank) so we stop complaining and if 1 member worked on a game that means 22 works on arcane even it out plz that's why we aren't seeing updates in pl and other games. You guys could get more money from your other games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Hi Battlegrinder,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts about the update. That’s a great post and we really appreciate you writing it down for us.

Maybe I can step back a bit and fill you in more where the update to STS-25 came from. Right now, as you might be aware, Arcane Legends is our biggest game to date. It has blown the doors off of what our other games have ever done. We are closing in on 7 Million downloads after only 5 months. That’s why you see the activity you do in Arcane – justifiably so, as we work hard to serve the largest share of Spacetime players.

All of Spacetime games are labors of love. They came from our hearts and will always have a special place for us.

This expansion was done by one designer, in their extra time, because of their love for the game and their desire to give the community more to do. We never said this was going to be a massive update and we hope we did not set your expectations too high, but this really was done out of love and for you guys.

It is what we can give you at the moment. We hope that it is enough for now. Keep up the constructive feedback and we'll try to make the most out of it.

Cheers,

- g
    Ok, thanks for the explanation, and tell whoever put this update together that he did a pretty good job (over-powered Vular Tanks and Scorn Biomechs aside).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Hi Battlegrinder,

Cheers,

- g
    i understand where you are comming from and congratulations. here is my problem and i feel many of us share the same feelings. great you guys are geting a ton of downloads and making a ton of money. I understand this is going to make updates and responce time a little slower. However you even said it has been five months since arcane legends has been released. have you not hired enogh people to properly maintain the game or what is the problem. i find it very very sad that one person did this in his spare time. he did a fantastic job for doing it alone, but that mean that you truly have abandoned this game. it also disturbed me that dl got an update (and for those of you who arent aware) their was no new levels or content just an increase in the lvl cap. I understand that al is your bread and butter at the moment but does that mean that every time that you release something new that makes money everything else will be neglected. I hate to say this about you guys but that sounds like a company that only about $ not their customers and not the games that "came from their heart".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yep and that kind of business won't last long. Your customers will get fed up... I already see it now in sl the morale is very low... it's sad. Why couldn't y'all just section off specific people to work on one game and that's what their job would be. One group for each game. Everyone doesn't have to be involved with al and if u put more effort into your other games YOU WOULD SEE THE SAME RESULTS AS AL AND MAKE MORE MONEY! I just don't get it.

( I really hope they don't lock this thread. We should be able to voice our opinions and when they lock them no questions get answered )
    Last edited by Deazafla; 04-25-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    Sl-engi 50. Op 50. Com 40 GiRls just wanna have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Itl get locked I almost guarentee it

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

no offense to you of STS but what happened to where in the begining you huys had three diffrent teams for the games. then AL comes out and its like drop out tools lets focus on AL yeah its cool but im seeing some recolored recycled content in there already, yeah i like the recolered blue armor for 70 plat but so early on is kid of a drag.

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump