Thread: STS-25 Tarasa Survival Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default STS-25 Tarasa Survival Guide

Tarasa is a much tougher challenge than previous expansions, requiring special tactics and skills to succeed. With the help of numerous other players, I’ve put together a guide explaining how to survive everything Tarasa has to throw at you.
    Weapons and Equipment:
    On Tarasa, your loadout should be designed for damage second, toughness first. It doesn’t matter how high your DPS is if you aren’t alive to use it. Non-Pink Tarasa armor has two subtypes, one that boosts dodge, and one that boosts another stat. Pick the dodge boosting set. Your armor and health pool will help you withstand an attack, but that attack has to hit first. The more dodge you have, the longer you’ll live.
    Weapon choice is mostly up to you. When given the chance, I suggest picking the weapon that gives you the biggest boost to dodge/armor/health over ones offering hit%, crit, or damage. I don’t recommend using Pistol+shield, since the armor boost from class weapons is much higher than what shields can provide (even when linked with an armor implant), and the stats on class weapons are usually much better than the ones for pistols. Regarding Napalm Carbines, only use them if you know what you’re doing. I’ve been in many skirmishes where the napalm users were the first to drop, but I’ve also seen skilled players do very awesome things with a carbine.
    Implants and pets are purely up to you. I suggest using Yaniz Vorr over Zevon, since dodge is paramount in this expansion. For commandos, I recommend a damage implant (platinum version if possible). Commando weapons are still slightly underpowered when it comes to single target damage, and having nine extra points of damage is worth more than the 2 or 3 dodge in this case (equipping Yaniz will even out the loss). I don’t know enough about engineers and operatives to have good advice, so use your own judgement.

Party Composition and advice:
    If you’re in the position to build your own party, I suggest two engineers, two commando, and an operative as the ideal build. The operative will help kill tanks faster, two commandos provides redundant tanking if one is killed, and two engineers will let the party heal faster, and if one engi dies, the backup engineer can prevent the battle from turning into a TPK (which tends to happen with only one engineer).
    Protect the engineers at all costs. In Tarasa, they are the most important class by far, and if all the engineers happen to die at once, the rest of the party will likely follow. For commando players, having Graviton Slam, Neutron Stomp, Vigor, and Kinetic Reservoir ranked will be very helpful (again, I don’t know enough about the other classes to have useful advice). Finally, if you join a party and find that there isn’t an engineer, leave. Having no engineer makes the battle almost impossible.
    Tactics:
    On Tarasa, target prioritization is the name of the game. Taking out the right enemies in the right order can decide the fate of a party.
    You’re first target should be the Vular Drones. Tanks don’t deal much more damage than drones, but there are a lot more Drones and they attack much faster. Blue drones should be taken out first, since they have a fast firing ranged attack that can cut a party down quickly. The yellow-gold drones should go next.
    Once all the drones are down, you can shift fire onto the Vular Tanks. If possible, one of the commandos should hold agro while the Drones are being eliminated, keeping the tank out of everyone’s way. Tanks have an auto-healing skill, which makes them very hard to take down. They can’t auto-heal while knocked down or stunned, so use stun/knockdown skills as often as possible. As a general rule, tanks cannot be killed by less than four players, so the party must concentrate fire to bring them down. Be extremely careful when using knockback skills or kitting, as tanks will often be operating at the edge of their spawn radius, and an ill-positioned knockback will send them back to spawn and heal them to full health.
    The Biomechs are extremely tough foes, but can easily be defeated if you use the right tactic. Said tactic is to exploit the fact that they have no path finding AI, like their ancestor Durrex. Forcing them to try and charge through a tree will usually work fine, though doing can be very difficult, and a single screw-up will often result in a TPK. I was able to get videos made of both a proper takedown and a botched attempt, and both are very enlightening. The takedown video also demonstrates the usefulness of a Napalm Carbine for Biomech fighting, and I suggest emulating it as closely as possible. Unfortunately, something went wrong the recordings. I’ll see what I can do about remaking them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I was always using short talk when people asked me about the new cap. I always said "Engineer or Die"
    Last edited by Cahaun; 04-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    I was always short talk when people asked me about the new cap. I always said "Engineer or Die"
    Short talk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder:1072385
    I was always short talk when people asked me about the new cap. I always said "Engineer or Die"
    Short talk?
    Short talk just means saying things the fastest way possible with the least amount of words. I use short talk in the new cap mostly because I'm getting attacked at every part of the map, and because I'm the group's engineer. (Even more people pestering the engineers in this cap)

I edited the original post a little so you can understand the term "short talk" more.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I was always using short talk when people asked me about the new cap. I always said "Engineer or Die"
    Enhancer or Die
    It has been a long day~~~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Castiel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel:1072480
    Enhancer or Die
    For engineers only. Enhancers don't make the ops and commandos as good as how the engineers are. I still stick with "Engineer or Die" due to the fact that they are able to reserve mana and health more effectively than other classes which is big due to the fact that we can't even use stims on the mobile phones. Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

with mana help implants from lvl 46 cap. im using on both on my op and eng. thers better version now too lvl 48 or 50 (epic and pink dont remember for each class now). dont really am out off mana, only sometimes when i spam skills, tough fight u know . but for that case r there containers, ofc if someone dont shoot them from distance, making it waste.

as op i usualy lurch those vulars from groups and from eng bc they r mostly their first target. its hard to target them though. or engs can use pain to stop them from moving also.
    those small ones is even harder to target but u say first target the blue ones, hm i need to try.
    also if thers too much mobs i step back, make some of mobs to reset, those vulars included, and the rest is easy to kill then.

i too preffer teams with 2 engs better healing and back up if one dies. i like to run in group of 2 ops 2 engs and one com. or as u suggest 2 engs 2 coms and one op. i was in group of one eng and all ops but its vey squishy, lack coms crowd control and ability to take hits.

as for biomech i preffer groups with napalm, easy and fast, just want some patience. i would like to see that video hows done without it. stuck to tree doesnt work everytime. he can easily turn around that tree and wipe out whole team.

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Looks impressive, good job!

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in