Thread: highest damage pets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Default highest damage pets

I'm a noob and had completely forgotten that certain pets give a % damage increase as a happiness bonus. So I decided to do some math and determine which pets give the highest damage when their happiness bonus is factored in. (I'm not fancy and don't want to take the time to do a chart). To come up with the regular damage (the damage before pet happiness bonus is applied) I simply equipped the pet and looked at my damage number. Your numbers may be lower or higher than mine depending upon ur build. I broke down and put points in str because I was tired of getting one shotted by OP bosses. Then I realized INT gives health while raising ur damage (I'm a rogue) so I respeced to a 0 STR, 30 INT, rest DEX (all 3 passives at 5). Also, I have all the pets listed except for talon, hammerjaw and slag so I had to estimate their stats.

Talon:
    base damage: 254.8
    10% happiness bonus: 280.3

Slag:
    base damage: 248.3
    12% happiness bonus: 277.1

Wrathjaw:
    base damage: 251
    10% happiness bonus: 276.1

Flap Jack:
    base damage: 239.8
    15% happiness bonus: 275.7

Loki:
    base damage: 239.8
    15% happiness bonus: 275.7

Kettle:
    base damage: 248.3
    10% happiness bonus: 273.1

Hammerjaw:
    base damage: 247.0
    10% happiness bonus: 271.7

Granite:
    base damage: 252.3
    no happiness bonus

Malison:
    base damage: 251
    no happiness bonus

Horton:
    base damage: 249.8
    no happiness bonus

My 5 main pets have been horton, malison, granite, wrathjaw and kettle. 3 of which give the lowest damage output possible. There are other factors such as survivability and mana regen to be taken into consideration; however, the difference in 275 damage (with the pets with happiness bonus) and 250 damage (pets with no happiness bonus) is significant. This is true especially with rogues when u consider that the 25 extra damage gets multiplied when we hit our crits. I think I'm going to purchase talon when plat goes on sale again and use Talon, Loki (he's still level 1, smh) and wrathjaw to clear mobs and kettle and malison at the bosses. Malison may be low damage but I like having 65% dodge between his arcane and my razor shield. Horton and Granite my drop out of my rotation completely.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

These don't solely affect dmg base stat, they also affect dps as well. I asked that in a thread a while ago, and ill link you too it once I find it. Just for help deciding which pet is for you.

EDIT: can't find the thread, you'll just have to believe me.
    Last edited by Azepeiete; 05-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Sig creds: Beelzzebob
    Igns: Warriorname, Azepeiete, Sorcerername.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Azepeiete For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Isn't the % of damage already figured in stats when you summon pet? Your data looks like you're double dipping there. Say I equip mali...I get happiness bonus instantly and do to 20+ str, and 20 Dex (im war) his Damage is better than Slag even with the 12% damage bonus. Cause slag only boost str +10 and dex +15. I tested with some cheap stat only gear from AH and that 10+ str and 5+ dex boosted dam the same as pets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rothschild View Post
    Isn't the % of damage already figured in stats when you summon pet? Your data looks like you're double dipping there. Say I equip mali...I get happiness bonus instantly and do to 20+ str, and 20 Dex (im war) his Damage is better than Slag even with the 12% damage bonus. Cause slag only boost str +10 and dex +15. I tested with some cheap stat only gear from AH and that 10+ str and 5+ dex boosted dam the same as pets.
    No, damage is supposedly separate from the other stats. Slag has 5 less dex and int than Malison but his overall damage is higher because of his 12% damage bonus. I say supposedly because the pets damage bonus doesn't show up on our screens. We have to take the devs word that the bonus is actually applied.