Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Arcane Shield - How it works as of 5/7/13

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Default Arcane Shield - How it works as of 5/7/13

Spacetime Studios Lead Designer Swede recently posted information about how Arcane Shield currently works. I wanted to collect that information here for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Here's the formula for the new shield absorption (without upgrade skills), I'll update the in game description to reflect it.

(((2*strength)+intelligence)*3)

This means if you're after survivability, which is why you're getting shield in the first place, investing a few more points in STR will drastically buff it.

All STR and INT, after gear etc. So to get the final number (that the Arcane Shield will absorb), go to your Avatar page while fully geared, take that STR, double it, then add the fully geared INT. Take that number and triple it and that's how much the Arcane Shield can defend against before breaking.

Also, incoming damage is reduced before it's checked against this number.

For example, a Sorcerer that has 100 STR and 150 INT would have an Arcane Shield worth 1050 points of damage. He gets hit with a Aimed shot that does 1200 damage. Normally this would break the shield but because Arcane Shield lowers incoming damage, he only loses 840 of its shield and so he can take another 210 damage before the shield goes away.
    The upgrade to make the shield absorb more damage and add 5 seconds to the duration changes the multiplier from 3 to 3.5.

Without upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3)

With upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3.5) plus the shield lasts an extra 5 seconds
    Last edited by Samhayne; 05-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Thanks for sharing that info.

It would be cool do know how other stats work too. For example, how exactly is bonus damage influencing my dmg/dps/skill dmg? How is the dmg reduction for armor calculated? Do dmg % pets add to my base Damage stat or is it calculated differently? If I'm using a dmg% increase pet and I get an outside dmg % buff, how exactly to those stack? ...

These are just a few questions that come to mind. Due to the bug of dmg and armor buffs not showing and the unability to host private games to test it out, it's next to impossible to figure those mechanics out.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Thanks for the info, it'll help me know how much Sorcerer's Arcane Shield will absorb.
    Also, I agree with what Jay said. Especially the part about the bonus dmg and pets that give you extra damage.

EDIT: in the example, is that with no upgrades?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

So... How first upgrade work ?
    "Increase the amount of total damage absorbable"
    AL: Ishyrionek (31 Warrior)
    AL: Ishyrion (30 Rogue)
    AL: Ishyrionus (30 Wizzard)
    BD: Ishyrion (7)

7.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ishyrionek View Post
    So... How first upgrade work ?
    "Increase the amount of total damage absorbable"
    Good point. I think the big value of that upgrade is the extra 5 seconds reduced damage - but I'll ask Swede about the amount as that could likely use some clarification too.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

That post by Swede is probably the single best, technical, game oriented post I've come across in quite some time!

Please, please, please describe some of the other calculations used in this game!

It's not that I actually like math formulas, but to actually understand what is happening, instead of just guessing at it, well, that is priceless. It helps me refine my build and improve my tactics tremendously. Without this little tidbit, most people would continue to assume that the only worthwhile benefit of STR for Sorcerers is just HP, at the cost of mana and DMG. Now we have a real reason to respec and use STR!

Hopefully, we can get some insight into what Bonus DMG% does, how critical hit damage is calculated, how armor reduces damage, etc. It would help me with those agonizing decisions on whether to sacrifice armor for HP and on which passives I should be spending my skill points.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Not bad, so in my all dmg gear I would get 1599 (61 Str and 411 Int) where in my all health gear I would get 1992 (178 Str and 308 Int).

Yes, more info on the above mentioned things... at least the passives, could we at least know if it adds +5% (or 10, or 12) to Dmg stat or to the end damage?

Robhawk

So my shield now takes 2139dmg (194STR, 325INT) compared to the flat 500dmg before ->

11.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Good point. I think the big value of that upgrade is the extra 5 seconds reduced damage - but I'll ask Swede about the amount as that could likely use some clarification too.
    The upgrade changes the multiplier from 3 to 3.5.

Without upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3)

With upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3.5) plus the shield lasts an extra 5 seconds
    | | | |

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    That post by Swede is probably the single best, technical, game oriented post I've come across in quite some time!

Please, please, please describe some of the other calculations used in this game!

It's not that I actually like math formulas, but to actually understand what is happening, instead of just guessing at it, well, that is priceless. It helps me refine my build and improve my tactics tremendously. Without this little tidbit, most people would continue to assume that the only worthwhile benefit of STR for Sorcerers is just HP, at the cost of mana and DMG. Now we have a real reason to respec and use STR!

Hopefully, we can get some insight into what Bonus DMG% does, how critical hit damage is calculated, how armor reduces damage, etc. It would help me with those agonizing decisions on whether to sacrifice armor for HP and on which passives I should be spending my skill points.
    +1337 to you Syntax.

Personally when i get to a certain point in a game, in this case grinding out the experience to go from 30 to 31, i tend to really critique my gear, stats, skills, pets, play-style, etc.
    Meaning i break down the math. Which in this game (without confirmation from insiders) it is nearly impossible to do so.

I was trying to figure out how much of certain stats increase their associated attributes at each level, only to find out that there is NO DISCERNIBLE PATTERN WHAT SO EVER...
    Just as an example I found out info like; 1 Dex at lvl 1 would increase your dodge buy .02 percent, lvl 2 .01, lvl 3 .014, and so on.

Needless to say i quickly gave up on that adventure.... lol.
    This is my personal and unique signature.

That took me awhile....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Altic View Post
    +1337 to you Syntax.

Personally when i get to a certain point in a game, in this case grinding out the experience to go from 30 to 31, i tend to really critique my gear, stats, skills, pets, play-style, etc.
    Meaning i break down the math. Which in this game (without confirmation from insiders) it is nearly impossible to do so.

I was trying to figure out how much of certain stats increase their associated attributes at each level, only to find out that there is NO DISCERNIBLE PATTERN WHAT SO EVER...
    Just as an example I found out info like; 1 Dex at lvl 1 would increase your dodge buy .02 percent, lvl 2 .01, lvl 3 .014, and so on.

Needless to say i quickly gave up on that adventure.... lol.
    It would be immensely beneficial to have the ability to calculate diminishing returns for stats & skills... hint hint - get on it @Samhayne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All STR and INT, after gear etc. So to get the final number, go to your Avatar page while fully geared, take that STR, double it, then add the fully geared INT. Take that number and triple it and that's how much the Arcane Shield can defend against before breaking.
    @Sam or @Swede - When you say all STR and INT, after gear etc., does that include pet-buffs from active abilities as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is if there's a point in popping my Glacian's ability before I charge my shield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dondarrius View Post
    @Sam or @Swede - When you say all STR and INT, after gear etc., does that include pet-buffs from active abilities as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is if there's a point in popping my Glacian's ability before I charge my shield?
    Great question. Also, can we assume that, for example, Ribbit's +25 STR is calculated into the shield's absorption formula?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

is this the latest equation and mechanism of the AS? as of now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Can they do this for curse? Seems like a mystery to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonut View Post
    I was really thinking about this!

Curse is a good skill too in pvp. Maybe a buff on it or a removal on the displacement wave would be nice too!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rx8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonut View Post
    Here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...cations-please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

With the new masteries, the FULL Arcane Shield Mastery will make double the multiplier also? So instead of 3.5 will be 7? Is it works?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Always enjoy reading forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for info