Thread: My Account Has Been Recovered! And Guide to Request Support Services

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default My Account Has Been Recovered! And Guide to Request Support Services

An extra big thanks to the wonderful folks at STS - especially Gnosis, who was able to recover my stolen account.

In under 60 minutes from the time the the hijacking was reported, my account was restored; albeit under a new name, with a bunch of silly pets names, no friends and missing gear, but the fact that they were able to turn it around that quick via email support is nothing short of extraordinary!

Unfortunately, my old name Kalizza is now taken (by me, to determine whether the toon name was changed), so I am working with STS to rectify that. To all my friends, I hope in the coming days that you will be able to find me and send me Friend Requests.

So once again, a heart felt thanks to STS and Gnosis for helping my poor Rogue find her way back home.

And, as a general guide for those who get hijacked, pay close attention to the emails that you receive pertaining to your account.

The information provided below is how I was able to determine my account was hijacked, and was able to provide support with enough timely information that they could take quick action.

1) 1:35 PM EST I received an email from STS stating that my account email had been changed. This email listed my original email login account and a new, unknown email account.
    2) 1:54 PM EST I received a second email from STS stating that a new account was created using my original email login.
    3) 1:55 PM EST I immediately attempted to login, and noticed that my toon was gone!
    4) 2:06 PM EST I sent an email to support(at)spacetimestudios.com, and notified them that I did not initiate the email change request.
    5) 4:46 PM EST I sent a follow up email to support and provided them with the following information:
    • Character Name
    • Character Level
    • Approximate PvE and PvP Kills/Deaths
    • Unique items and pets I had in inventory (such as my Green Arlor Vanity set)
    • My original Email login name
    • The new, unknown, email login name (from the support email STS sends automatically)
    • The last time that I had logged in
    • The time I received the account changed email (effectively establishing a window in time where the theft happened)

6) 2:30 - 5:40 PM I contacted friends from my guild to determine if there were any new, unfamiliar names in the guild, and started a friend-list hunt to find my missing account
    7) 5:40 PM Account restored by STS

I believe that quick action on my part, and providing STS with enough information to track down my toon were instrumental in getting my account recovered. Ultimately, the support clock can't really start until I provide them with enough information for them to begin the search. I am a programmer in real life, so, as fair warning to everyone, whenever I receive emails stating "It isn't working" or "Application crashed", well, requests like those immediately go to the bottom of my list because there is nothing actionable I can do with it. I can only respond to concrete, specific cases, and support at STS is likely no different. We cannot expect them to read our minds, and just know everything there is to know.

So, for anyone unfortunate enough to get their account stolen, pay attention to the support emails you receive. Establish a time frame so the support folks know where to look. Provide support with as much information as you can find regarding the details of your account, including any unknown login credentials.

Time and information are the two critical factors in recovery. Make sure you are on the right side of them both and the odds of recovery increases.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

uuhhm.. can u tell us how did you get hacked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I am not entirely certain, and I am sure STS will not share the specifics (I did ask).

Either way, it seemed like an elaborate, though fruitless attempt at covering up their tracks. What other reason would there be to creating the original login credentials?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

STS created a new account but this time, just 'magically' altered stats based on your stolen character information. I am curious as to why STS just leave your stolen account (it is still there) without resetting its email.

Title should be - My Account Has Not Recovered But STS made a new account for me with preset stats.

Well, better than nothing. Congrats though and good job STS!

My IGN: Marshi (Mage), Xhu (Warrior) | Click here to see my signature artworks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

No, this is definitely my original toon. I still have some of the discontinued vanities in inventory, same pets, my stats are the same, just that I lost my inventory and friends list. And my pets now have stupid names (which I spent plat on correcting).

The name of my character is different. I can't change it because I created a new toon with my old name to confirm that whomever stole my account had renamed my character.

A few of the junk pinks were still in inventory, mostly below level 25, so, basically just the things that have no value. Worst part of all, I looted an August egg with the intention to either give it away, or sell (if it had any value) and the person went ahead and opened the egg.

I for one think that STS did a great job in a quick recovery. I certainly could have gone days, or longer, until this had been resolved. I've been on other games where the support was nearly non-existent, so I was very happy with how it turned out (well, other than the inventory that is).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

so theres a possibility that this could happen to anyone? we need to know how to prevent this

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Glad to hear that!
    And good job with the guide - added it to my long list if useful threads for every case.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

there are just some people in this world who have no life and go to extremes hacking other people's accounts to steal their stuffs. geeez. they just cant play normally, couldn't they

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chitgoks View Post
    there are just some people in this world who have no life and go to extremes hacking other people's accounts to steal their stuffs. geeez. they just cant play normally, couldn't they
    It is truly unfortunate. All this over some colored pixels, when, what they don't realize, is they are affecting people in Real Life!

Yesterday a friend of mine, who tried to start up his own guild for the second time, ended up having all guild members kicked by one of his Officers. Apparently this was the second time this player had done that, and so he threw in the towel and gave up on the concept of running his own guild.

It's quite sad that there are so many people in the game with such a blatant disregard of others and such a clear lack of empathy. Perhaps it is just a reflection of the times we live in, but it saddens me nonetheless every time I hear or read about it in the Forums.

There are lots of great, generous players around - far too many to name. I, myself, try to spread cheer when I can and often go out of my way to give gear, train players, assist with builds, etc. I feel that this type of activity contributes to the game/community, and ultimately makes me happy and has introduced me to many friends.

To be honest, I am actually humbled by the outpouring of support from my friends. I've had people offering to replace much of the lost gear, including my missing Noble Doublet of Will, which is probably the most expensive non-mythic/arcane item in the game at the moment. Obviously, I cannot accept such generosity, because none of my friends are so wealthy that dropping a few million to replace lost gear wouldn't hurt.

Either way, I owe many players in game a debt of gratitude. I just have to get back on my feet again, rebuild my inventory and coin purse. Like I said, it is humbling to know that I have many real friends, so Thank You...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Find me in game bro. I have some things for you

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Cool, you know i never really believe the hacking stuff, nothing against you but when i diliberatly handed outr my account info to a "good" buddy i got an email saying my email has been changed i was like thaa hell so emailed them and such but it took a few days since it was on a weekend irt happened still ive heard countless times nobody can hack the game. So...

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

GJ StS. Congrats too!
    ^ Battle Dragons IGN

Et tu, brute?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Some of my closest friends know me a bit too well, and my password wasn't exactly a state secret. I certainly was far too lax on password complexity and protection.

I did check in and saw that the same loss of gold/inventory happened to my toons in DL and PL, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much because I really only go into the other two games to chat with friends and guildmates. Unfortunately for you folks there was just a major supply of Forgotten Bows injected into the PL environment from my toons :-)

I am definitely taking account security a bit more seriously this time around. I agree, I don't think that it was a hack job, more like social hacking/violation of trust by someone I called friend.

I will certainly be rotating passwords regularly and not using the passwords that half of my friends list could easily have figured out...

And FYI, no, the password wasn't 12345, because that's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

@ GoodSyntax
    I'm a Guild Master with listed about 400 Members.... Yesterday me happened the same as our friend....one of my Offis cleared my Guild complete, only Offis and me left...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullox View Post
    @ GoodSyntax
    I'm a Guild Master with listed about 400 Members.... Yesterday me happened the same as our friend....one of my Offis cleared my Guild complete, only Offis and me left...
    I have an anti boot strategy for you, no joke.

Either 1: Make everybody an officer so only you can control who leaves the guild (unless they choose to leave by themselves)

Or 2. Make nobody anything higher than a member.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!
    LOL! I love that movie...

My password trick is to pick it from a book on my shelf, including the page number, line number and number of the word on the line. Then I put a bookmark on that page so I can always look it up, and put it back on the shelf. It's very hard to break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    LOL! I love that movie...

My password trick is to pick it from a book on my shelf, including the page number, line number and number of the word on the line. Then I put a bookmark on that page so I can always look it up, and put it back on the shelf. It's very hard to break.
    I will be visiting your house shortly, Snake.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

LOL!!! bro, have you SEEN the size of my book collection! And nope, it's not a Shakespeare quote. GL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice hopefully they unsuspend me as fast as you got your acct id be happy
    got suspended for making a sale in auction on twink...amazing huh