Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mages in PvP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bless View Post
    you just proved my point, mages were historically underpowered and even if they are buffed with more survivability now it would be hard for them to catch up to the other class's LBs.
    This is true for CTF kills and flags only. TDM was released season 4 and when most mage skill changes occurred. So you can't say this for TDM LB. TDM LB top 25 ends at 20,810 TDM kills. 3 Mages, 3 warriors, 19 rogues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Well to be honest I don't judge skill based on position on LB. However I've come to realize maybe people are right ...sorcerers are a bit underpowered (not asking for any buffs) though what solid said was also right people just aren't that good at using sorcerers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I think it's a bit extreme to say mages are "useless" in PvP. But we are not as good as the other classes. A mage needs all the best gear to have any chance of competing for a decent KDR. I am full mythic with an arcane staff, yet I struggle to keep a 1/1 KDR this season. During season 4 when I had full mythic gear with a runic gun, I had no problem keeping a 3/1 KDR.

I think the issue has to do with stuns. Sorcerers must land twice as many hits as their opponents to win a battle. So in the past, the way we could do that was to keep our opponents stunned for at least part of the battle. That evened the playing field. But now at level 41 rogues have such high dodge, that most of the time they dodge our stun attempts. And with skill switching (which I hear will be eliminated with the new game client), most warriors are using a rotation of skills which allows them to use an extra skill to become immune to stuns. Hopefully when this ability is eliminated, they will have to choose whether they want to include that skill in one of their 4 skills, and I assume this will weaken them somewhat.

So far what I have experienced this season is that I get stunned more than I am able to stun. A stunned sorcerer is a dead sorcerer, and one stun is all that is needed to kill me most of the time. I will be dead before the stun wears off.

I'm not sure what the answer is to fixing this, but clearly some changes need to be made.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I think it's a bit extreme to say mages are "useless" in PvP. But we are not as good as the other classes. A mage needs all the best gear to have any chance of competing for a decent KDR. I am full mythic with an arcane staff, yet I struggle to keep a 1/1 KDR this season. During season 4 when I had full mythic gear with a runic gun, I had no problem keeping a 3/1 KDR.

I think the issue has to do with stuns. Sorcerers must land twice as many hits as their opponents to win a battle. So in the past, the way we could do that was to keep our opponents stunned for at least part of the battle. That evened the playing field. But now at level 41 rogues have such high dodge, that most of the time they dodge our stun attempts. And with skill switching (which I hear will be eliminated with the new game client), most warriors are using a rotation of skills which allows them to use an extra skill to become immune to stuns. Hopefully when this ability is eliminated, they will have to choose whether they want to include that skill in one of their 4 skills, and I assume this will weaken them somewhat.

So far what I have experienced this season is that I get stunned more than I am able to stun. A stunned sorcerer is a dead sorcerer, and one stun is all that is needed to kill me most of the time. I will be dead before the stun wears off.

I'm not sure what the answer is to fixing this, but clearly some changes need to be made.
    Panic + FB is atleast a 5 second stun, most mages [try to] play with terrify/panic pets, it takes less than 5 seconds for a mage to kill another mage (w/o arcane shield) or a rogue. These are all facts.

People shouldnt be aiming to get more stuns implemented.

Personally, I would ask to nerf stuns majorly: a panic should be counted as a stun. Pvp should be more than stuns imo.
    Last edited by Bless; 05-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Credits to Iady

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bless For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Panic + FB is atleast a 5 second stun, most mages [try to] play with terrify/panic pets, it takes less than 5 seconds for a mage to kill another mage (w/o arcane shield) or a rogue. These are all facts.

Personally, I would ask to nerf stuns majorly: a panic should be counted as a stun. Pvp should be more than stuns imo.
    Today I was fighting 1-on-1 with a rogue, and I was using slag. Every single time I started with charged fireball followed by slag's panic. About half of the time, both stuns would miss. The other half of the time, one or the other would miss. Not once out of about 15 tries did both stuns hit for this 5 second long stun lock you talk about. It just doesn't work anymore. And against warriors instead of a 25-50% success rate on stuns, it's more like 5-10%.

If you get rid of stuns, then the class that hits the hardest must also be the class that has the least health and armor. So you would have to give a major buff in mage damage and health to make it more than rogues, or you would have to decrease rogues armor and health to less than mages. And you would have to give a major nerf to warriors in both armor and health.

Right now sorcerers cause about half the damage that rogues do per hit, and sorcerer skills have longer cooldown than rogues, so overall we probably cause about one third as much damage during a battle. Plus we have less armor and health. Arcane shield only works half the time, and the other half it is on cooldown. So even if I win the battle, the rogue always returns and kills me seconds after my shield drops. So even when I win a battle, my KDR stays at 1:1.

In any case, kills are very hard to come by. When I started playing TDM again last week, I needed 200 kills to reach 6000. It took me a whole week to get those 200, playing 2-3 hours per day, and I racked up over 600 deaths during that period. And I am full mythic with arcane pet and arcane staff. With lesser gear I would not be as good.

My skill has not changed since season 4 when I had a 3:1 KDR. I am the same player as I was then, the only thing that has changed is the class balance. Put me up against sorcerers only and I would be 10:1. I love fighting other sorcerers, 3 hits and they are dead. It's like swatting a fly. I feel bad killing them.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 05-11-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

In any case, kills are very hard to come by. When I started playing TDM again last week, I needed 200 kills to reach 6000. It took me a whole week to get those 200, playing 2-3 hours per day, and I racked up over 600 deaths during that period. And I am full mythic with arcane pet and arcane staff. With lesser gear I would not be as good.
    I don't know what build you are using but if you are not using 5 skills, its time to reconsider. And if are are using only two offensive skills you are at a huge disadvantage. Its time to open your eyes to the reality of the situation and accept what some of us already figured out.
    Last edited by falmear; 05-11-2014 at 11:03 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hi Fal ,

5 Skill set up is challenging for a phone user.

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    I don't know what build you are using but if you are not using 5 skills, its time to reconsider. And if are are using only two offensive skills you are at a huge disadvantage. Its time to open your eyes to the reality of the situation and accept what some of us already figured out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aneheazatek View Post
    Hi Fal ,

5 Skill set up is challenging for a phone user.
    You assume you are switching skills mid combat. This is not the only situation where you can utilize 5 skills. You can run 3 attack skills + shield. You can switch in heal when you need to between clashes. To heal yourself and replenish mana for your team. Or you can use 2 attack skills and 2 defensive (heal & shield) if the situation needs it. If you want to get the most amount of kills in TDM you need to run 3 attack skills with shield and swap in heal only when you need it. If you are low on health you can always let Trulle kill you for a free heal. You have to accept you will die once your shield is down, and heal won't save you when your shield goes down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:1635034

Today I was fighting 1-on-1 with a rogue, and I was using slag. Every single time I started with charged fireball followed by slag's panic. About half of the time, both stuns would miss. The other half of the time, one or the other would miss. Not once out of about 15 tries did both stuns hit for this 5 second long stun lock you talk about. It just doesn't work anymore. And against warriors instead of a 25-50% success rate on stuns, it's more like 5-10%.

If you get rid of stuns, then the class that hits the hardest must also be the class that has the least health and armor. So you would have to give a major buff in mage damage and health to make it more than rogues, or you would have to decrease rogues armor and health to less than mages. And you would have to give a major nerf to warriors in both armor and health.

Right now sorcerers cause about half the damage that rogues do per hit, and sorcerer skills have longer cooldown than rogues, so overall we probably cause about one third as much damage during a battle. Plus we have less armor and health. Arcane shield only works half the time, and the other half it is on cooldown. So even if I win the battle, the rogue always returns and kills me seconds after my shield drops. So even when I win a battle, my KDR stays at 1:1.

My skill has not changed since season 4 when I had a 3:1 KDR. I am the same player as I was then, the only thing that has changed is the class balance. Put me up against sorcerers only and I would be 10:1. I love fighting other sorcerers, 3 hits and they are dead. It's like swatting a fly. I feel bad killing them.
    Samael has a higher terrify chance, trust me, once you get samael it's stun will make huge differences. But more stuns would undermine skill and bring pvp to something as crap as PL's.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

And with skill switching (which I hear will be eliminated with the new game client), most warriors are using a rotation of skills which allows them to use an extra skill to become immune to stuns. Hopefully when this ability is eliminated, they will have to choose whether they want to include that skill in one of their 4 skills, and I assume this will weaken them somewhat.
    Where does it say this? Nowhere.

Tip for you Ener: Use Shadowlurk. With the 20% crit and 20% damage buff, you can one combo full arcane rogues with an Expedition Rifle! Ask Zeus (lol)! Don't use Slag. Slag was a good pet, now it's not vsing a rogue. Even if it stuns, there's not much you can do if you can't dish enough damage (Slag gives no crit). You're merely stalling your defeat.
    Last edited by Instanthumor; 05-12-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Where does it say this? Nowhere.

Tip for you Ener: Use Shadowlurk. With the 20% crit and 20% damage buff, you can one combo full arcane rogues with an Expedition Rifle! Ask Zeus (lol)! Don't use Slag. Slag was a good pet, now it's not vsing a rogue. Even if it stuns, there's not much you can do if you can't dish enough damage (Slag gives no crit). You're merely stalling your defeat.
    STS confirmed that they are going to address the skill switching issue in the new game client. It was discussed in the google hangout session last week. No specifics were given, but my guess is they will make it so you cannot switch mid-battle, but can still switch once the battle is over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

STS confirmed that they are going to address the skill switching issue in the new game client. It was discussed in the google hangout session last week. No specifics were given, but my guess is they will make it so you cannot switch mid-battle, but can still switch once the battle is over.
    It would be funny if nothing changes and Sorcerers are still at the bottom...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    117 Posts

Me mage, me will terminate.
    I was crazy before it was fashionable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Removing the utilization of of multiple skills would be a travesty to the game and is currently the best divider for skilled mages versus unskilled. I have no problem holding my own against warrs, 5v5 I sometimes do have the most kills, and I'm sure many other mages can say the same. I refuse to play in a game where fast hands and quick thinking is nerfed, in fact I will not be playing if skill switch is removed. AL would be no better than a role playing card game if that happened. People need to stop complaining and quite simply just get better...complaining is what kills games like this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conradev For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I ever become pesimist about mage in pvp, but since I keep going to learn from duel to duel I learn that mage are challenging than the others.
    You can't win PvP with mage? << Depends on your strategic, timing, and movement ^^

And I just realize that switching skills in PvP not a sportive ways.
    You can kill rogue and warrior without changing ur skills while duel..

Sorcerers still the bottom?
    Warrior and Rogue will crying in PvP without mana, they would crying without mage in their team to DoT (damage over time) against enemies..

I didn't mean to judge another class, but I'm a mage and yes.. Feel that feeling too about underestimated from another class pvp.. Be optimist friend ^^

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreasadriii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    I ever become pesimist about mage in pvp, but since I keep going to learn from duel to duel I learn that mage are challenging than the others.
    You can't win PvP with mage? << Depends on your strategic, timing, and movement ^^

And I just realize that switching skills in PvP not a sportive ways.
    You can kill rogue and warrior without changing ur skills while duel..

Sorcerers still the bottom?
    Warrior and Rogue will crying in PvP without mana, they would crying without mage in their team to DoT (damage over time) against enemies..

I didn't mean to judge another class, but I'm a mage and yes.. Feel that feeling too about underestimated from another class pvp.. Be optimist friend ^^
    I understand what you're trying to get at, but you must seriously be OP. Killing warriors with 4 skills? Warriors and rogues hardly ever have mana issues during clashes. I see 5 samaels per team on a daily basis, besides, there are mana pets that give mana for a reason.

I'd like to ask you, so what if we have DoT? How effective really is DoT in clashes. The purpose for mages is supposedly crowd control, no? How can we do our duty if all our crowd controlling skills are nerfed? We are nothing but a waste of space for another rogue cough Parf cough. Seriously, how overrated and underpowered are smurfs? Be practical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I understand what you're trying to get at, but you must seriously be OP. Killing warriors with 4 skills?
    It is possible, he is on lower lvl, there are much better mage weapons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I understand what you're trying to get at, but you must seriously be OP. Killing warriors with 4 skills? Warriors and rogues hardly ever have mana issues during clashes. I see 5 samaels per team on a daily basis, besides, there are mana pets that give mana for a reason.

I'd like to ask you, so what if we have DoT? How effective really is DoT in clashes. The purpose for mages is supposedly crowd control, no? How can we do our duty if all our crowd controlling skills are nerfed? We are nothing but a waste of space for another rogue cough Parf cough. Seriously, how overrated and underpowered are smurfs? Be practical.
    Gale Shield Heal Ice is not good enough anymore...and I want to be able to stand toe-to-toe and either die fast or kill fast. Not inferested in floating across the screen eluding death and stalling vs waiting for Warriors to lose mana. That's not winning...that's just the other side losing. Killing is Winning. I feel like people who like the game as is should really start countering all the cry here as much as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by conradev View Post
    Removing the utilization of of multiple skills would be a travesty to the game and is currently the best divider for skilled mages versus unskilled. I have no problem holding my own against warrs, 5v5 I sometimes do have the most kills, and I'm sure many other mages can say the same. I refuse to play in a game where fast hands and quick thinking is nerfed, in fact I will not be playing if skill switch is removed. AL would be no better than a role playing card game if that happened. People need to stop complaining and quite simply just get better...complaining is what kills games like this.
    Actually, this is not a divider between those who have fast hands and those who don't. It is a divider between those who play on a PC and use a keystroke macro that can switch skills in a few microseconds by pressing one button, and those who play on a mobile device. I don't care how fast your hands are, you can't beat a keystroke macro that is mapped to a single function button.

If AL is to be a real mobile game, then those who actually play on a mobile device cannot be at a disadvantage.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 05-14-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Maybe mage is not doing that great in 1v1 but in team fights they are priceless and they usually score the most kills.